• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just ordered a Ruger American Predator!

UCChris

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Jun 9, 2014
Utah, USA
For those of you who noticed, I was asking about a .308 "all-out" build on the Remington 700 around here a few months ago. I decided I wanted to go with 6.5 Creedmoor instead of .308, which means I will have to rebarrel it, so it is on the back burner while I acquire funds. In the meantime, I ordered a Ruger American Predator in .243 for medium range (500-600m) varmint/predator/deer hunting. So this will be my build thread for that.

My plans are to try my hand at repainting the stock FDE while I wait for an aftermarket stock to come out. I'm going to top it with a SWFA SS 10x42 Mil/Mil. I'm not yet old enough to apply for a can, so that is in the plans, but not for a few years. I'm going to throw a Harris HBRM-S bipod on there too.

I'm also going to get into reloading in order to squeeze the most accuracy out of the action. An aftermarket stock will help with that tremendously (if one ever comes out...).

I hadn't heard about the predator version. I like the looks of the 308 with the 18" barrel. I'll be curious to see which companies start making stocks for them.

I think you'll have a solid gun. That .243 is a hot round. I'm curious to see what you think of the stock after you shoot it and how the action is.

Friend of mine has one in 6.5 creedmoor, right out of the box with factory ammo it shot under one inch. It is a nice rifle, just wish the stock was a little better.

I hadn't heard about the predator version. I like the looks of the 308 with the 18" barrel. I'll be curious to see which companies start making stocks for them.

I certainly like the short look of the .308 version, but .308 was a bit much for my applications. Not worth lobbing a .308 at a groundhog...

I'm currently in contact with Boyd's. They were supposed to release a stock for the Ruger American Centerfire late last month. Supposedly, it is on its way shortly.

I think you'll have a solid gun. That .243 is a hot round. I'm curious to see what you think of the stock after you shoot it and how the action is.

I've heard nothing but highest praises for the action. The stock sucks from what I've heard. The front bends when on a bipod, eliminating the free floated barrel. People have stiffened it with epoxy. That's what I plan to do.

As far as the .243 goes, I'm pretty excited for it. It has pretty sweet external ballistics for such a small round. And it is potent in the heavier loads (I'll be running 95 grain handloads).

I was planning on the Lee 50th Anniversary kit. I'm going to shoot factory Federal Whitetail ammo, and save the brass, until I can afford the stuff for reloading.

Last edited:
As far as I know you will not be able to buy any aftermarket stock or triggers for any Ruger american. My rifle right now is an american and it is its own unique design. I did however paint it, added a muzzlebreak and an adjustable cheek piece from Mathews wood works. Its a shooter for sure. Also the stock is not the best but the flex at the front doesn't seem to touch the barrel. i've heard of guys actually boring it out to make it wider rather than trying to stiffen it with apoxy. With that said, I plan on getting a predator maybe also in 6.5 creedmore. My American has shot several 1/2 inch groups and I've stretched it out to 640yds on steel no problem. For the money I like these rifles, a Tikka would probably be better if you want to change out the stock and trigger later, proven accuracy also. Tomorrow going to try to get to 800yds and beyond, we will see what happens. But I dont think you will ever be able to buy after market parts other than the muzzle break and adjustable cheek piece. Good Luck

chorus pedal 006.jpg

I figure the v-blocks are going to be the biggest hurdle for an aftermarket stock.

That adjustable cheekpiece is way sweet. How much did it cost and how hard was it to install? Thanks muzzlebreaker!

I think I might get the stock cerakoted (there's a company that will do it for $60) in FDE, put on the Matthews cheekpiece that muzzlebreaker showed, and stiffen the stock up. That way I keep the lightweight portability of the rifle. No reason to go throw a $200, heavier, stock on it.

I think I might get the stock cerakoted (there's a company that will do it for $60) in FDE, put on the Matthews cheekpiece that muzzlebreaker showed, and stiffen the stock up. That way I keep the lightweight portability of the rifle. No reason to go throw a $200, heavier, stock on it.

I am fixen to do the same thing and get the 6.5 I picked up the compact in 223 for my son and sighted it in tonight with the 62gr. tripleshocks the little thing shoots as good if not better than my sps tac. at a 100yrds.

hahco, I was planning on handloading 95 grain Berger VLD's.

Bullet Pusher, pretty sweet guns right? Everyone I have talked to, that has owned one, says they are amazing for what you pay for them. I have some big plans for the stock and action in addition to what I've posted here. Can't wait!!!

I figure the v-blocks are going to be the biggest hurdle for an aftermarket stock.

That adjustable cheekpiece is way sweet. How much did it cost and how hard was it to install? Thanks muzzlebreaker!

Mathews Cheek piece was about $35 on Amazon, install was easy, Lined it up where I wanted it, marked it, the drilled holes with 1/4 bit. The stock is hollow aside from some styrofoam type material so It was easier to just drill 2 holes on one side then I flipped it over and drilled the other 2. It works very well, I love it. The Muzzle break is a Holland. The only choice for this rifle. Isntall with bead blasting plus the break was $250. Really controls the recoil. I don't have any issues with the stock, it flexes in my hand with pressure but does not seem to touch the barrel or effect the accuracy. I don't feel the need to stiffen it.

Check this out. I wonder how the heck he got the barrel so far off the stock. Heating and bending maybe?

DSC00485_zps05a4904b.jpg

I bet he used a dremil tool or something and just cut away the inside of the foregrip more

I think you're right. If you look at the factory photos of the Predator, the fore end ribs stop before the top of the barrel channel. It looks like he must've taken almost 1/2" off both sides. I kind of like it. I may try it...

hahco, I was planning on handloading 95 grain Berger VLD's.

Bullet Pusher, pretty sweet guns right? Everyone I have talked to, that has owned one, says they are amazing for what you pay for them. I have some big plans for the stock and action in addition to what I've posted here. Can't wait!!!
Let us know what all u do to it.I should have my 30p-1 in about 3 months gonna have try out the $1000 can on my $400 rifle.

Tracking says the gun is on the Big Brown Truck. Wonder if my FFL will be ready to transfer it today or tomorrow...

I was going to get the 6.5, but the cost of 6.5 ammo kinda ruined my whole "budget" rifle theme.

I just got the predator in .308 and I love it. I just got it last saturday and have only shot it once but it was great.

She's here! Now to plan the modifications...

Got a couple things I want to do to it.

I will post pics later today Maverick.

So, Ruger just announced that Ranch rifle. It is exactly what I was going to do to my rifle. I was going to chop to 16.25" and Cerakote the stock FDE...

So I'm just going to leave the Predator as is, keep it as a dedicated deer rifle, then order an American Ranch in 5.56 for a coyote/varmint rifle. Then I can start on my precision Rem700 build.

Its nice to see my Ruger wasn't a lucky fluke, good shootin hahco. I see myself picking up a predator soon in 6.5 creedmoor. Since I handload ammo will be plentyfull. Using my .308 american this weekend at my first comp.

The only thing I've noticed is that it does tend to string vertically, and I'm pretty sure it's due to stock/barrel contact depending on how much forward pressure I put on it as it rests in the front bag. The stock is pretty floppy.

Muzzle breaker, can you post pics of your muzzle brake on your American?

I promise I will get to pics today!

Well, through a welcome turn of events, I have acquired a .308 Predator for my .243. I ordered a brake a few days ago and I will post pics when that comes in!

I don't know if others have experienced this with their Predators, but both the .243 I had and the .308 I have now touch the left side of the stock. Consequently, I took a Dremel to it just barely. Now the barrel is free floated for sure. I will be sure to include pics of that when the brake and bipod get in. The brake is supposed to be delivered Friday and the bipod is supposed to be at my local Cabelas on Friday too. I will post pics then!

The muzzle brake showed up last night. It is mounted and looks awesome on the shawty .308!

"Not worth lobbing a .308 at a groundhog..."

That could be argued.

You can get a can on a trust.

Just make a "John doe and John smith trust". With you being one of the names and a parent or really good friend that ls over 21 being the first. Pretty sure it's legal. It's been a few years.

I wish 6.5 Creedmoor was that cheap around here. The only 6.5 CM I can find is Hornady for $35 a box. No cheap stuff. I can get cheap PPU/Federal .308 for $16-18 a box and the nice FGMM 168/175 for $26 a box.

The brake is from Ebay. I was worried about it being perfectly concentric to the bore, but it lined up just right. I don't know how well it works (I haven't shot it yet), but I really bought it for aesthetics/muzzle protection. That being said, hopefully it will work well enough that I can see my hits.

Quick question. If you were going to shoot at coyotes from 200-800 meters, deer from 100-400 meters, elk from 100-300 meters, and prairie dogs/groundhogs/jackrabbits/etc out as far as possible (but mostly <200 meters), would you choose a 6x, 10x, or 12x scope?

Weird, it is showing fine for me in browser format. Here is the rest of my post.

"(but mostly <200 meters), would you choose a 6x, 10x, or 12x scope?"

Ruger American owners Boyd's now has stocks for these rifles.

i got a walnut version of the prairie hunter for my ruger american rimfire, it's actually a pretty nice stock - i know no tacticool - yet.

it is as step in the right direction though as far as starting up aftermarket stocks.

UCChris, if i'm following the thread correctly, no more .243?

You are correct Top Predator. I couldn't justify spending half of the cost of the gun to cut it down, so I traded it for the short .308 version. I'm looking forward to how your build comes along!