• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just Ordered: Bushnell Tac Elite 3.5 x 21 w. Horus H59!!

OneCleanShot

Private
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2013
Alaska
Best scope i could find for my budget to sit on top of the RRA LAR8 26". Larue mount. I will be shooting mostly targets and local tac matches once the weather gets a little warmer than -20f. ha ha And I am not kidding at all. Anyway, thoughts on the rifle and/or the scope are welcome. I would also welcome thoughts on factory ammo or the best equipment for price to reload as i will start down that rabbit hole soon. Thank you in advance for your time.

Last edited:
Congrats! I just ordered my second G2DMR yesterday. I'm such a noob in the long range game, but the Bushnell Elite its a damn nice piece of glass! You will be happy!

DO NOT PURCHASE A RELOADING KIT.

Everything but the press {and possibly that, also} is just crap to slow you down from making accurate loads
while being wasted money.

At a minimum:

1) Redding Boss Press {not the Big Boss} @ $125 - $135

2) Redding Die Set #: 80155 {you can go fancy, later} @ $40 & a LEE Crimp Die

3) RCBS brass powder pan RCBS #: 9078 @ $15.80 from CheaperThanDirt

4) GemPro 250 Scale @ $115

5) Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE Digimatic 6" Digital Caliper # 500-196-20 {ON SALE FOR $99.00 at

Mitutoyo 500-196-20 ABSOLUTE Digimatic 6" Digital Caliper }

6) L.E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gage 308 Winchester @ $27

7) Forster Original Case Trimmer #: CT1010

8) L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Caliber @ $15

9) K & M priming tool # PDMOD-AA @ $55

10) K & M Flash Hole Uniformer # UPSTD080 @ $20

11) K & M Large Rifle Primer Pocket Correction Tool # CARLRPCT @ $22

Yes, there is MOAR. And yes, I said, "At a minimum".

Best to you.

Prices do not reflect cost of living on the moon or in Alaska.

Last edited:
Everything looks good except that is a LOOOOONG Barrel for that Gun. You might want to cut it down a bit to make it more compact and manuverable. You'll definitely want a lot shorter if you're going to run a can too. I'd say 16-18" is plenty good for a SemiAuto .308. Good Scope Choice, I have two with the G2 Rets and Loves them! Horus is just a bit too busy for my taste.

Everything looks good except that is a LOOOOONG Barrel for that Gun. You might want to cut it down a bit to make it more compact and manuverable. You'll definitely want a lot shorter if you're going to run a can too. I'd say 16-18" is plenty good for a SemiAuto .308. Good Scope Choice, I have two with the G2 Rets and Loves them! Horus is just a bit too busy for my taste.

You are correct. It is a loooooong barrel. It's a Stainless Bull Barrel as well so this is NOT ever going to be compact or real maneuverable. What I am hoping for is the sub MOA accuracy this gun is noted for and a some extra velocity to sling heavy 308's out to 1000 yds. It is a target/ tactical match/ learning long distance shooting gun. I have other CQB type rifles (AR15, SOCOM 16) Thanks for the post.

DO NOT PURCHASE A RELOADING KIT.

Everything but the press {and possibly that, also} is just crap to slow you down from making accurate loads
while being wasted money.

At a minimum:

1) Redding Boss Press {not the Big Boss} @ $125 - $135

2) Redding Die Set #: 80155 {you can go fancy, later} @ $40 & a LEE Crimp Die

3) RCBS brass powder pan RCBS #: 9078 @ $15.80 from CheaperThanDirt

4) GemPro 250 Scale @ $115

5) Mitutoyo ABSOLUTE Digimatic 6" Digital Caliper # 500-196-20 {ON SALE FOR $99.00 at

Mitutoyo 500-196-20 ABSOLUTE Digimatic 6" Digital Caliper }

6) L.E. Wilson Case Length Headspace Gage 308 Winchester @ $27

7) Forster Original Case Trimmer #: CT1010

8) L.E. Wilson Chamfer and Deburring Tool 17 to 45 Caliber @ $15

9) K & M priming tool # PDMOD-AA @ $55

10) K & M Flash Hole Uniformer # UPSTD080 @ $20

11) K & M Large Rifle Primer Pocket Correction Tool # CARLRPCT @ $22

Yes, there is MOAR. And yes, I said, "At a minimum".

Best to you.

Prices do not reflect cost of living on the moon or in Alaska.

Sincere thanks for your time and post. I am currently looking into every one of your suggestions. Just what i was looking for. Also, you are correct......things can be pricey up here on the surface of the moon.......i mean Alaska. Wouldn't live anywhere else though and I have been to a lot of places.

RCBS got me in the .2's with my 1st BR custom build, and the Lee kit makes ammo that my GAP10 will hit a 10" plate at 1k 10 out of 10 times. I've ran Sinclair, RCBS, Lee, Redding, Possum Hollow, Hornady, and still have the RCBS, Hornady, and a cpl Lee's. All have worked great for me from my RRA A4 Varmint, Beanland 260, GAP 6CM, 5R Rem, GAP 10 in 308. ??
I sit down with a friend over 20yrs ago and we loaded and shot BR Comps for many years, and I learned more than any manual could teach me. But I do recommend a good Manual.

RCBS got me in the .2's with my 1st BR custom build, and the Lee kit makes ammo that my GAP10 will hit a 10" plate at 1k 10 out of 10 times. I've ran Sinclair, RCBS, Lee, Redding, Possum Hollow, Hornady, and still have the RCBS, Hornady, and a cpl Lee's. All have worked great for me from my RRA A4 Varmint, Beanland 260, GAP 6CM, 5R Rem, GAP 10 in 308. ??
I sit down with a friend over 20yrs ago and we loaded and shot BR Comps for many years, and I learned more than any manual could teach me. But I do recommend a good Manual.

Thanks for the post. Got it all. Great.

I ended up getting it from Larue Tactical packaged with their 104 mount. Midway just dropped price on it but then you still need a way to mount it. SWFA said they could get one.......but I waited and waited. Larue had it back-ordered...said 3-4 weeks....called me next day as a shipment arrived.....I had it two days later. Larue also sent it with a couple freebies for a nice touch. First time dealing with them. Recommended.

The scope itself is impressive. Heavy and well built. Great glass, large turrets, nice finish. Some people told me the H59 was too busy....full of clutter...that i would take a look through it and return it. At 3.5X there is no clutter at all...just fine crosshairs. As you increase magnification, the reticle grows to give you more of the information that you would like for shooting longer distances. I like the .2mil graduations to be honest. I plan on doing a lot of holdover shooting in local timed tactical matches. My first impression is that 10-12X is all you would ever need. Magnification and reticle information are at a sweet spot here. However, the images at 21X here on a winter day were clear and full of contrast and color. With no illumination, dark targets against like background make it harder to find the spot(s) on the reticle you are looking for.

Many of you may be used to Grade AAAAA scopes and glass. This is my first after many Nikons and a Leupold and I must say I am initially very impressed.

I will be doing the full scope/ reticle functional verification testing in the Spring. Thanks for reading.

Last edited:
My wife has a Bushnell Elite (different reticle though) on a 6BR. It is a fantastic scope for the price. Crystal clear and built very well.

That reticle would take some getting used to for me...a lot going on there. Congrats on your new setup! You will have a lot of fun with that rifle. My local range shoots a pseudo F-class type match at 600 every month (we don't have pits so its really more like an IBS or NBRSA match shot prone), and a guy has a set up almost exactly like your rig. He does pretty darn well as long as the wind isn't blowing too much, then the 6mm and 6.5's pick up some extra x's due to drift. I don't think you will regret the 26" tube as long as you don't have to tote it around too much.

My wife has a Bushnell Elite (different reticle though) on a 6BR. It is a fantastic scope for the price. Crystal clear and built very well.

That reticle would take some getting used to for me...a lot going on there. Congrats on your new setup! You will have a lot of fun with that rifle. My local range shoots a pseudo F-class type match at 600 every month (we don't have pits so its really more like an IBS or NBRSA match shot prone), and a guy has a set up almost exactly like your rig. He does pretty darn well as long as the wind isn't blowing too much, then the 6mm and 6.5's pick up some extra x's due to drift. I don't think you will regret the 26" tube as long as you don't have to tote it around too much.

Well, I am new to this type shooting and having fun putting it all together and learning. Thanks for chiming in. Since this is my first real tactical/ long range scope I do not have to unlearn anything so the H59 is nice for me......especially in this type of shooting. I agree.....you just cannot beat the 6 and 6.5's for long range target. I started building a 7mm bolt rig but went with the 308 semi auto back when they told me I could not have one anymore. That, and I use it to hunt now and then. It is very accurate, and i like the 26" barrel for the little help it might provide the 308 out at 1000 yards.

It is a chunk, as you mentioned. I will have to weigh it once the bipod is on but I bet it is easily 15+ with ammo.....maybe more. My 11 year old shoots it as the weight does wonders for recoil. I will be fitting it with a brake as well.
HDMR2.jpg

I love weight on my Match guns. After putting 2 AICS 1.5's on a Beanland 260 it's 21.5lbs, and my 243 is at 20.5lbs. As long as your not stalking whitetail through the Mtns., or doing alot of running n gunning weight is your friend. If I'm hunting, I'll take my 16" 5.5lb RRA/ DD 6.8. Nice looking stick though, I almost went with the Bushy HDMR but after looking through it and the NXS I went with the NF. But I've been seeing some decent prices on the HDMR in the $1100 range.
Honestly right now I don't think you can beat the Vortex PST if you want FFP for $925. I looked through a Vortex HS 6-24 at my FFL the other day in FFP, and love the hash mks on that reticle. But right now the NF BEAST has me blown away.

I love weight on my Match guns. After putting 2 AICS 1.5's on a Beanland 260 it's 21.5lbs, and my 243 is at 20.5lbs. As long as your not stalking whitetail through the Mtns., or doing alot of running n gunning weight is your friend. If I'm hunting, I'll take my 16" 5.5lb RRA/ DD 6.8. Nice looking stick though, I almost went with the Bushy HDMR but after looking through it and the NXS I went with the NF. But I've been seeing some decent prices on the HDMR in the $1100 range.
Honestly right now I don't think you can beat the Vortex PST if you want FFP for $925. I looked through a Vortex HS 6-24 at my FFL the other day in FFP, and love the hash mks on that reticle. But right now the NF BEAST has me blown away.

The Bushnell Tac Elite has several available reticles. You can get the G2 reticle (designed with GA Precision) for about $1100. The Horus H59 is about $400 more although Midway is running a closeout special at around $1380. After looking at both and asking around quite a bit and watching what others are shooting, it is my opinion that you simply cannot get a better scope for the money than the Bushnell Tac Elite.

The Viper PST has a greater quantity of features but overall build, tracking and glass go to the Bushnell by a wide margin. I really like the G2 reticle which puts you close to PST pricing but do not regret buying the Horus.