• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just pick up a new rifle today Tac Ops 6.5x55

Shooter McGavin

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jun 22, 2009
    Some where in the US
    It's a Tac ops 6.5x55 Swede with a 24" bbl 1/8.5 twist.

IMG_0006-1.jpg

Jamie

Re: Just pick up a new rifle today 6.5x55 Swede

Nice stick. Let us know how fast you can fling those bullets out of it.

wow, that is nice, where's the test target?

That is pretty neat. It is always cool to see something a little different.

What are you feeding it?

I'm having rw snyder build a 6.5swede for my dad. Did you have it made for you or did it turn up used?

@Snyper762
    "I'm having rw snyder build a 6.5swede for my dad. Did you have it made for you or did it turn up used?"

I had it built for me

@Cegorach
    What are you feeding it?

HSM 142 SMK HPBT, however just got it so no range time yet.

@Savage110
    where's the test target?

It's in the Tac Ops drag bag right now. It's only a three round shot group, so I didn't post it. I will post when I post some more photos.

Jamie

Very cool. I have an irrational attachment to the Swede cartridge for how it looks as much as how it shoots. I like the longer neck and steeper shoulder compared to the 260 but not so chunky as the 6.5x284 or so lanky as the 6.5-06. And you can get Lapua brass for it. Do give a range report when you get a load worked up for it.

6.5x55 is a great caliber, I love my M96. Yours looks awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    @Savage110
    where's the test target?

It's in the Tac Ops drag bag right now. It's only a three round shot group, so I didn't post it. I will post when I post some more photos.

Jamie </div></div>

What did it measure? you can pm me if you dont want it going public.
    regards
    -Felipe

Very nice brother. Got to love Mikes work. One of these days I'm going to get him to build me a stick.

That is a really nice rifle. Very good choice in caliber as well. Do you have it threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake? There is hardly any recoil in the 6,5x55, but I always shoot with one anyway.

Try some Sierra Matchgrade 140-143 grs bullets, and I'm sure you'll be amazed. If you like to see things explode, try some Hornady V-Max. With the kind of speeds you'll get, I would expect some spectacular results.

-R

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: steve123</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Great custom rifle and also a great cartridge! </div></div>

+1 for the Swede. These cartridges are an over looked treasure! They shoot awsome. The build looks nice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

regards
    -Felipe </div></div>

Felipe,

Here you go:

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rassmussen</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is a really nice rifle. Very good choice in caliber as well. Do you have it threaded for a suppressor or muzzle brake? There is hardly any recoil in the 6,5x55, but I always shoot with one anyway.

Try some Sierra Matchgrade 140-143 grs bullets, and I'm sure you'll be amazed. If you like to see things explode, try some Hornady V-Max. With the kind of speeds you'll get, I would expect some spectacular results.

-R </div></div>

Yes, its thread for a suppressor. Will be putting one on it as soon as I move to Texas.

Jamie

Re: Just pick up a new rifle today Tac Ops 6.5x55

Very nice! What is the donor action/bolt face. I'm trying to get my R700 LA 30.06 ADL built into a 6.5X55 but am getting conflicting feedback regarding the magazine box and follower feeding. I'm am told that a DBM with AI mags is out unless I have the gunsmith weld metal onto the lips.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TARFU</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice! What is the donor action/bolt face. I'm trying to get my R700 LA 30.06 ADL built into a 6.5X55 but am getting conflicting feedback regarding the magazine box and follower feeding. I'm am told that a DBM with AI mags is out unless I have the gunsmith weld metal onto the lips. </div></div>

The donor action was a R700 30.06 ADL. To be honest I don't know what Mike did to the bolt face make it work. As far as a DBM I didn't even think of doing a DBM for this rifle, so I wouldn't know what would have to be done.

Jamie

A Swede will get 2700-2800 in a 22" FWIW.

I am so Jealous of that rifle. I am having a 6.5x55 built right now. I wish it was a Tac Ops, but mine should still be good. Congrats

Justin

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am so Jealous of that rifle. I am having a 6.5x55 built right now. I wish it was a Tac Ops, but mine should still be good. Congrats

Justin </div></div>

I am sure it will be a great rifle, an accurate too. The 6.5x55 is a great round, you'll be happy.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beck.jamie</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Savage110</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

regards
    -Felipe </div></div>

Felipe,

Here you go:

IMG_0001-1.jpg

Jamie </div></div>

Very Nice. Mike's Rifles, Def. can shoot.

Tag for reference

My A1-3 is in Mike's shot now getting some new bottom metal. I dig the new Birdsong Greenish/Brown-T. Great looking (shooting) rifle!

Great shooting rifle, looks awesome too!

Nice rifle!

If you'd be so kind to post some actual velocites, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know I probably speak for more than myself when I consider choosing a 6.5 x 55 Swede over a 260 Remington. My dilemma is the pros and cons category. I would consider the long-action requirement a con, so I'm curious if extra velocity is a pro.

Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: glock24</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Nice rifle!

If you'd be so kind to post some actual velocites, it would be greatly appreciated.

I know I probably speak for more than myself when I consider choosing a 6.5 x 55 Swede over a 260 Remington. My dilemma is the pros and cons category. I would consider the long-action requirement a con, so I'm curious if extra velocity is a pro.

Thanks </div></div>

I do not have a chronograph at the moment. However, the ammo I use was made for me by HSM and the MV is 2700fps. That was out of a 26" bbl that was used for testing the loads. I would imagine the MV is any where between 2680 and 2660 with a 24" bbl. I had ordered a 22" bbl however, it's a 24" bbl.

Jamie

Edit:

I just ordered a chronograph. Should be here next week and I will get some numbers next friday.

In Sweden and in Sauers, the 9 gram Scenar is said to give the best precision but I use Norma's factory loads Diamond Line Bana (ca 850 m/s) or Fält (ca 920 m/s) in my 74 cm barrel.

Don't know if you can get them in the US though and I don't think I can mail some to you either (without paying a billion in freight costs).

Nice looking rifle!

Great looking rifle, you got to love the swede rifles. They are great shooting and low recoil, I love my m96.

DL Fält is 900 m/s in my rifle, not 920. Sorry.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vettern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Sweden and in Sauers, the 9 gram Scenar is said to give the best precision but I use Norma's factory loads Diamond Line Bana (ca 850 m/s) or Fält (ca 920 m/s) in my 74 cm barrel.

Don't know if you can get them in the US though and I don't think I can mail some to you either (without paying a billion in freight costs).

Nice looking rifle! </div></div>Uh? where's my conversion charts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vettern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In Sweden and in Sauers, the 9 gram Scenar is said to give the best precision but I use Norma's factory loads Diamond Line Bana (ca 850 m/s) or Fält (ca 920 m/s) in my 74 cm barrel.

Nice looking rifle! </div></div>

I have used the Norma Golden Target Ammunition 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser 130 Grain Hollow Point and Norma Diamond Line Falt Ammunition 6.5x55mm Swedish Mauser 130 Grain Hollow Point. This ammo can be purchased through Midwayusa.com. However, they do not stock it and it takes several weeks. That's why I started using the HSM ammo from SC.

On a side note wasn't able to get to the range to chrony the HSM swede ammo last week. I will get out there this week.

Jamie

I had a chance to get to the range today and Chronograph 20 rounds of HSM 142 gr HPBT. Here are the results:

1. 2813 2. 2813
    3. 2794 4. 2775
    5. 2736 6. 2777
    7. 2791 8. 2828
    9. 2802 10. 2785
    11. 2746 12. 2659
    13. 2725 14. 2729
    15. 2755 16. 2720
    17. 2682 18. 2708
    19. 2705 20. 2716

There were no signs of pressure. However, the loads were very inconsistent. Hard to make small groups when loads are this inconsistent.

Jamie

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vettern</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
    In Sweden and in Sauers, the 9 gram Scenar is said to give the best precision but I use Norma's factory loads Diamond Line Bana (ca 850 m/s) or Fält (ca 900 m/s) in my 74 cm barrel.
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jdberry</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Uh? where's my conversion charts? </div></div>

You can use Google for unit conversions..

9 gram = 139 grains
    850 m/s = 2789 fps
    900 m/s = 2953 fps
    74 cm = 29"