• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just picked up a new build M1A

wrongside

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 21, 2010
SE MICH
I gave a box of new parts,a new heavy wood stock and a mid-wt. ss barrel I picked up from Springfield at Perry 5 or 6 weeks ago. Yesterday I got the finished product. The builder is a local Michigan guy that has build many. What a job, this thing is tight and pretty, SWEET !!!! Took it to he range today and the 3rd. round was in the 10 ring, the first two were setting the sights. This gun has the best trigger that I have ever touched. I was shooting some M852 match ammo and was wondering what other M1A shooters reload for there guns ? I am going to post on the reloading sight for some info. Thanks B.S.

Re: Just picked up a new build M1A

If there are no pictures, then it didn't happen... I use mostly FGMM 168gr in my scout and I get good results. Or I buy some mil surplus and have fun. I dont reload so I cant help much there.

M852 is rumored to be 42.0 gr. IMR 4895 behind a 168 SMK. (I have also heard 41.5 gr) I use commercial brass instead of LC. Good luck, have fun, be safe...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: judgedelta</div><div class="ubbcode-body">M852 is rumored to be 42.0 gr. IMR 4895</div></div>

That's what TM 43-0001-27 with Change 6 Army Ammunition Data Sheets Small Caliber Ammunition (December 02, 2002) says.

The Army's 4895 is a tad different then store bought 4895. The go to load for High Power shooter for years and years is 41.5 grns IMP 4895 with both the 168 & 175 SMKs, Fed Match Primers either LC or Winchester Brass.

Some guns like the Hornady 168s so try both and see which one your gun likes best.

I use 41.2gr H4895 in LC brass in my NM. Sierra 168 HPBT. Shoots tight.

137266407.jpg

Depends on which gun, but generally around 41.5r 4895 and 168 SMK (Win brass) for the old standby load. When it cools off a little here, I plan on experimenting with the new Berger 175 Tactical bullet designed for mag-fed guns - not so sensitive to distance from the lands. I might try some 155 Lapua Scenars, too. I shot a box of those from Southwest Ammunition and was amazed. That bullet has a higher BC than the 168 or 175 SMK and gets more velocity, too.

If you keep an eye out, Wideners gets 8lb kegs of surplus military 4895 from time to time. The price is right, too.

ETA: You need a photo hosting site to post pictures. Photobucket is free (I think). If you get stuck email me a couple and I'll post them for you. jwes51 AT att.net