• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just pulled the bird...

Phylodog

Hidin since '06
Minuteman
Aug 9, 2006
Arcadia, IN
Thought I'd drop the first Happy Thanksgiving to everyone here as well as those overseas. I'm thankful to those who are serving as well as those who served before. You'll all be in my thoughts tomorrow as I share the customary turkey with my family.

IMG_1826.jpg

Re: Just pulled the bird...

Interesting. Ive never seen a table built around a grill like that. (Big Green Egg?)

Correct. I've got an egg on one end and a Weber kettle on the other. I'm going to put a tile top on it next spring, the wood allows too much water into the storage areas below.

IMG_1691.jpg

Phylo, your thread title <span style="font-style: italic">could</span> be misleading.
crazy.gif

Nice looking birds. Mine just hit the Weber 15 mins ago.

Mines been in the smoker since midnight and will stay there until about 1400 (14 total hours). I also tossed in a nice brisket (for my self).

I'll add a picture next time I go out to add water and baste.

Nice looking birds guys!

Just the two of us, so our tradition is a duck... Pictures coming later tonite.

Happy Thanksgiving, especially to those overseas and eating turkey in a cafeteria, a chow line or from a bag. If I could have you all over for Thanksgiving dinner, I would!

Cheers,

Sirhr

nice lookin birds. hope they are as tasty as they look.

yes hello and greetings to all those overseas and conus that are viewing that can't be with there loved ones. no beter explaination of "Thanks-for-Giving"

i'm "tossing my bird" in soon...(if i can just get off the Gdarn internet) just a 1/2 breast, wild turkey i got this fall, the rest of the family will not eat it. guess they prefer to savor steroids and chemicals in the store bought.

their loss!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mines been in the smoker since midnight and will stay there until about 1400 (14 total hours). I also tossed in a nice brisket (for my self).

Nice looking birds guys! </div></div>

You're smoking a turkey for 14 hours? How big is the bird? What temp? How do you keep from overcooking it?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mines been in the smoker since midnight and will stay there until about 1400 (14 total hours). I also tossed in a nice brisket (for my self).

You're smoking a turkey for 14 hours? How big is the bird? What temp? How do you keep from overcooking it? </div></div>

This one is a 16 lb turkey and I actually cold smoke it first for about 5 hours at 150. This really dumps the flavor into the bird and in this case the brisket too. Then it's up to 225 for the duration. The bird will get pulled and wrapped in foil and towels until it's time to carve. It took me a couple of years living in Texas to really figure out smoking turkeys and this method is far and away the best. Yields an awesome high contrast smoke ring and nice juicy meat. Two days prior to smoking it gets a heavy dose injected marinade and a a few hours before it hits the smoker it gets a butter rubdown. The brisket is my typical recipe which I've posted in past BBQ threads.

About an hour ago.
11u876a.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

This one is a 16 lb turkey and I actually cold smoke it first for about 5 hours at 150. This really dumps the flavor into the bird and in this case the brisket too. Then it's up to 225 for the duration. The bird will get pulled and wrapped in foil and towels until it's time to carve. It took me a couple of years living in Texas to really figure out smoking turkeys and this method is far and away the best. Yields an awesome high contrast smoke ring and nice juicy meat. Two days prior to smoking it gets a heavy dose injected marinade and a a few hours before it hits the smoker it gets a butter rubdown. The brisket is my typical recipe which I've posted in past BBQ threads.

About an hour ago.
11u876a.jpg

</div></div>

That looks like some might fine eatin you got there High Binder. Enjoy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

About an hour ago.
</div></div>

Ahh, that makes sense. I'm not sure I can pull off the cold smoking technique with the egg but it sure looks good!

What are the advantages to the "Egg". I have been thinking about getting one but not sure what I would use it for the most. Is it just a smoker, or can you say cook steaks on it? Thanks in advance.

Happy thanksgiving guys !

I wish you and your families a very happy and peaceful holidays ...

Anyone going shooting over the holidays !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: High Binder</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Mines been in the smoker since midnight and will stay there until about 1400 (14 total hours). I also tossed in a nice brisket (for my self).

You're smoking a turkey for 14 hours? How big is the bird? What temp? How do you keep from overcooking it? </div></div>

About an hour ago.
11u876a.jpg

</div></div>
Don't forget some after carving shots.
smile.gif
That looks beautiful.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What are the advantages to the "Egg". I have been thinking about getting one but not sure what I would use it for the most. Is it just a smoker, or can you say cook steaks on it? Thanks in advance. </div></div>

It works great as a smoker, a grill and an oven. I spent 20 years perfecting my grilling technique on the Weber kettles so I don't use the egg for grilling but I do use it to bake pizza and lots of people use them to back all kind of things. I cooked a pot of chili on it a few weeks ago that was awesome.

They are extremely controllable as far as temperature and will run 16 hours on a load of charcoal when cooking low & slow. Not cheap but well worth the money.

All these turkey pictures reminded me about one of those life lessons learned on Thanksgiving day at future in-laws c. 1992...

Lesson is: It is not a good idea to take the turkey neck and zip it up in your fly and then stand in the kitchen until future mother-in-law walks in with fiance.

But it was funny as hell!

Cheers,

Sirhr

OP, that looks so good. I'm pushing the wife hard to get one of these Big Green Egg grills.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CharlieTN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">OP, that looks so good. I'm pushing the wife hard to get one of these Big Green Egg grills.
</div></div>

They're worth every penny if you like to cook outdoors.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Don't forget some after carving shots.
smile.gif
That looks beautiful. </div></div>

All I had was my shitty cell phone camera but as you can see, it's super moist.

30ksw90.jpg

Phylo, I'm not sure how your smoker set up works but I'd be willing to be that you can cold smoke over your unit too. The key is to get it to hover around 150 degrees. Cold smoking is the best way to smoke meats like fish where the 225-degree temps would dry the meat out too much. Is you unit electric? Mine is propane so I have a lot of control over the temp.

The Mechanic said:
Phylo, I'm not sure how your smoker set up works but I'd be willing to be that you can cold smoke over your unit too. The key is to get it to hover around 150 degrees. Cold smoking is the best way to smoke meats like fish where the 225-degree temps would dry the meat out too much. Is you unit electric? Mine is propane so I have a lot of control over the temp. </div></div>

I did some reading after you posted your technique and it turns out I can cold smoke with mine, just takes a little ingenuity. Mine runs off of lump charcoal and wood, cold smoking is on the radar and I'll give it a shot in the not too distant future. I'm thinking about trying a pastrami...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

I did some reading after you posted your technique and it turns out I can cold smoke with mine, just takes a little ingenuity. Mine runs off of lump charcoal and wood, cold smoking is on the radar and I'll give it a shot in the not too distant future. I'm thinking about trying a pastrami... </div></div>

That's good news. Cold smoking really opens up your options. We just did a batch of summer sausage (a lot like pastrami) but you can also do cheeses. Keep me posted on your progress and feel free to ask any questions.

High Binder - If you decide to buy a BGE you should do yourself a favor and buy a BBQ Guru DigiQ II to go with it. After borrowing one to use on the Thanksgiving turkey I bought DigiQ II and it came in last week. I bought a brisket on my way home from work yesterday and fired up the BGE with the DigiQ hooked up at 4pm and put the brisket on about 5pm. When I got up at 6am this morning the brisket was at 161*F and the BGE was still humming along at 225*F. I just got home from work and pulled the brisket off and it was at 175* and the BGE was still holding 225*F. I didn't add any fuel or adjust anything after starting the fire and setting the DigiQ.

We're headed out to a surprise birthday party for my Dad in about an hour and no one wants to leave due to the smell of that brisket which is wrapped in foil and a towel and resting in a cooler.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">High Binder - If you decide to buy a BGE you should do yourself a favor and buy a BBQ Guru DigiQ II to go with it. After borrowing one to use on the Thanksgiving turkey I bought DigiQ II and it came in last week. I bought a brisket on my way home from work yesterday and fired up the BGE with the DigiQ hooked up at 4pm and put the brisket on about 5pm. When I got up at 6am this morning the brisket was at 161*F and the BGE was still humming along at 225*F. I just got home from work and pulled the brisket off and it was at 175* and the BGE was still holding 225*F. I didn't add any fuel or adjust anything after starting the fire and setting the DigiQ.

We're headed out to a surprise birthday party for my Dad in about an hour and no one wants to leave due to the smell of that brisket which is wrapped in foil and a towel and resting in a cooler. </div></div>

Phylo, I'm pretty stuck on my current smoker. I've gone through a lot of them and this one's been the best yet. I just checked out the Digi Q II you mentioned and that looks bad-ass! I have pretty good temp control with my gas but the Digi Q II thing would be the icing on the cake. Everything on their site looks like the DigiQ is for charcoal and they don't list my smoker as one of their pre-made packages but I'm going to call them because that wifi model looks freaking cool as hell! Thanks for the tip bud!

Sounds like you've got a good 16-18 hours of good temps on that brisket. I bet it's going to be amazing! On a side note, I've had better luck letting my briskets age for a few days outside of the butcher cold pack. It seems to yield a significantly more tender end-product than the fresh ones but either way it's delicious.

Did you do a dry rub or are you more of a mop fan? I'm a Kansas style fan so for me it's a dry rub followed by a lot of mopping and a ton of sauce for a wet end-product.

I'm a dry rub only guy until its sliced and on the plate then I'll add a bit of sauce if the mood strikes me. I didn't mop this one but I have in the past. I just started this one and let it run to see how it would turn out. It feels extremely tender to the touch and was dripping moist when I pulled it off the egg so I have high hopes.

I didn't have any home made rub on hand so I just used Dillo Dust this time. I've not used the stuff as a dry rub before so I'm testing a couple different things here. I don't expect it to be the best I've ever had but it sure smells incredible.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm a dry rub only guy until its sliced and on the plate then I'll add a bit of sauce if the mood strikes me. I didn't mop this one but I have in the past. I just started this one and let it run to see how it would turn out. It feels extremely tender to the touch and was dripping moist when I pulled it off the egg so I have high hopes.

I didn't have any home made rub on hand so I just used Dillo Dust this time. I've not used the stuff as a dry rub before so I'm testing a couple different things here. I don't expect it to be the best I've ever had but it sure smells incredible. </div></div>

:::Mouth watering:::

I've never tried Dillo though I hear it's great so I think you're in for a treat. I make a quick rub for mine that is four roughly (just eye-ball it) equal parts; brown sugar, ground black pepper, salt, and paprika. I just toss it all in a bowl and mix with fingertips, you can use that as a base rub and then add other things like garlic/onion etc. according to your taste.

Watching this right now. I think I want to pull the trigger on one of these setups.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/TB51bbfILF0"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/TB51bbfILF0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

yeah, that gizmo is on the list. Wait till our rendition of 'bbq' is finished, then we'll post some pics. Ain't like nothin' anyone's seen before.

But I sure like this controller device. Does it come with twin probes, for 3 separate chambers? I gotta check out that site.

They have a unit that will control two different pits at once but the one I have (same as in the video) only has one meat probe and one pit probe. They also have a wifi version that you can control from your phone, ipad, etc. and monitor it while you're away from home.

I placed an order for one of these last week, band it should be ready on 12/18...just in time for a Christmas Brisket.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eqe8Hj5HTjw&feature=player_embedded"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Eqe8Hj5HTjw&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

I got sick of my offset smoker eating wood like a mad man and not keeping a constant temp. The guys at Pitmaker are awesome, and they walked me through the entire design and build process. Thinking of getting a big TCU logo on each side...