• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Just purchase m1a

seta8967

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2010
JAPAN! out of korea
Just got back from Afghanistan, and ran down to the Base Exchange and purchased a m1a standard. They didn't have any in stock, so it will take a few weeks to arrive. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for parts to customise it with. I have been thinking about purchasing a Sage EBR stock and a Trijicon Scope. I also purchased a XD .45 for fun so far I have liked it, it doesn't kick as much as other .45 i've shot and feel extremly comfortable in my hand.

Re: Just purchase m1a

Saldak TiN coated piston,.. trust me.

while your waiting get the tools and cleaning stuff so you can give the rifle a proper once over when you get it home.

speaking of home,...

welcome home.

Very nice. Im getting an M1A soon and I cannot wait.

I think a EBR stock and a Trijicon scope would be awesome.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cruzie27</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Saldak TiN coated piston,.. trust me.

while your waiting get the tools and cleaning stuff so you can give the rifle a proper once over when you get it home.

speaking of home,...

welcome home. </div></div>

Yeah, I wen out and purchased all the cleaning supplies when I purchased the XD. That handgun was so stiff to use I had to put some oil on it ASAP. I'll look into the Saldak TiN piston also. Thank for the welcome home.

To be honest it was such a random purchase. I saw a Socom version at the BX and purchased the XD and m1a right there on the spot without thinking. Just after going to afghanistan with the m14 and shooting it i fell back in love with it.

Well you will have plenty of open space up at Minot to break her in. For a standard M1A I suggest Sage EBR, Sadlack Mag release, Smith Bolt release, Smith Scope mount, Sadlack Piston. As far as scopes goes its up to you, I prefer Mark 4.

Shoot the hell out of that barrel and get a something as heavy as you can that is compatible with the stock. The its small things like gas shims, and have a good smith tune her right.

My M1A loves Federal 168gr. Find what works for ya. If its a non chrome lined barrel ditch it after 5K rounds.

I need to file a complaint with my base exchange for not carrying anything more violent than a pocket knife
cry.gif

Yeah that's one good thing about Minot is open space. I really want that sage but I want the polymer parts in Dark Earth instead of all black. I'll check out Federal 168gr, though I might get into reloading myself. But I'll definitely check out those parts, just want to make it a nice rifle to shoot and maybe get back into hunting.

It took Minot AFB nearly 5 years of actively requesting a new BX. Before our new BX made last year it was in a tiny building that was used to maintain the engines on the b-52. It was tiny and never carried anything useful for us.

Scott Duff's M14 Owners' Manual.

Additional magazines; our M-14 combat loadout was six 20rd mags and one in the rifle. You may be able to find a repro M-14 rifle belt and pouches online.

Get a gas cylinder wrench (it surrounds the cylinder while tighten/untightening the gas cylinder plug with the combination tool).

Never try to do/undo that plug by securing the stock. I tried to undo the plug the first time, tightened by King Kong at the factory, and shattered the brand new stock it its weakest point, the magazine well.

Muzzle guide for the cleaning rod. One piece cleaning rod, I prefer naked stainless.

.052" diameter N/M hooded rear sight aperture, with the 1/2MOA rotational adjustment, plus the corresponding narrower N/M front sight blade. There is a 1/2MOA click windage mod available as well.

Be aware that until the stock gets properly bedded and the gas cylinder gets unitized, accuracy gains will be limited, and that wooden stocked M14/M1A's are vulnerable to bedding problems when the weather changes.

Scope mounts need to be carefully researched before you make a final choice.

Never, repeat never, overtighten the gas cylinder plug. It's design intends that it needs to be retightened avery 50-100rd. Firm, but not cranked.

Only fire match (FGMM, M118, M852, etc.), or military ball equivalent ammo (American Eagle, UMC, Win White Box).

Handloads should be developed with the M1A/M14 restrictions in mind.

Bullet weights between 147gr and 180gr, powder on the quicker side, with IMR-4064 being near the limit on the slow side. Factory hunting loads should be 165gr or lighter, heavier commercial hunting loads can be overzealous for the M1A. For hunting, research the S/A 5rd magazines.

My M1A load is Rem .308 Bress, Fed/CCI Match Primer, 42.2gr of IMR-4064, 175SMK at 2.815" OAL. This is a 1000yd-capable M1A/M14 Match load. IMHO, there is no point in making up any other comp load for an M1A/M14. Note, it kicks a bit...

Be absolutely sure the primer gets sunk flush or lower, and that all rounds, even single feed, get fed FROM THE MAGAZINE!.

Hand-chambering a round and releasing the bolt to slam deliberately home atop an empty, dislodged, or missing magazine defeats the design specs and can make a slam fire far more likely. Just seat the round into the mounted magazine from above, and allow the bolt to strip it out according to design. That way, the bolt encounters enough drag to significantly reduce the chances of a slam fire.

Greg

I still have my mag pouches for the m14 somehow... But yeah I ordered 4 extra mags to go along with the 2 the factory gives you. Thanks for all the advice, defintly writing all of this down in case the thread is deleted or lost.

One other question, does anyone know where i can find a EBR stock with Dark Earth polymer parts or where I can get them manafactuared? Just a pet peeve of mine, like to have my rifles/handgun in same theme. slight ocd i think

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seta8967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just got back from Afghanistan, and ran down to the Base Exchange and purchased a m1a standard. They didn't have any in stock, so it will take a few weeks to arrive. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for parts to customise it with. I have been thinking about purchasing a Sage EBR stock and a Trijicon Scope. </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seta8967</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Just after going to afghanistan with the m14 and shooting it i fell back in love with it. </div></div>

Chances are very good that the M14 you used in AFG was a TACOM M14EBR-RI...
a standard M14 bolted into a SAGE M14ALCS EBR stock with a SAGE M14DCSB and a Harris bipod.

The are excellent rifles, but they are on the heavy side...

You may want to consider the SAGE M14ALCS/CV EBR with a Magpul CTR butt stock and a #3 cheek riser for your optic.
Black may be the only color you can find, but painting is an option.

My M21A5 Crazy Horse EBR SASS is in a Gen 1 M14ALCS/CV Mod 1 EBR stock.
Even with a medium heavy 22.0" CH barrel, my rifle is easily 2.5 lbs. lighter than the TACOM M14EBR-RI.

Smith Enterprise, Inc. offers outstanding parts and services for the M14 & M1A owner.
Clyde Armory is the best place to purchase your EBR stock.

Good luck,
H2O

yeah that was the exact rifle model I shot. The weight didn't bother me too much. I like that stock you have, but I don't like the fact that the cheek is non-adjustable. Is that a leupold Mk.4 scope? Is it self illuminated? How do you like it? Did a little research and read good reviews but not much about how powerful the self-illumination is or if it a true self-illumination (as in no batteries).

The SA Factory sold me a beautiful Walnut M-21 stock for $450. The adjustable cheekpiece would not go low enough to use with the iron sights. It was very thick, just like the Supermatch, but to the M-21 config.

After reading here about how someone here ruined a similar cheekpiece by cutting it down, I lam'd up a few thicknesses of 1x2 and made a replacement piece, then cut <span style="font-style: italic">that</span> down for shooting with irons.

My advice would be to get a nice McMillan stock, then take the original and start playing around with adding wood and seeing if you can come up with something a lot like the M-21.

If you're taller than average, look into the 1" rubber block butt extensions.

Greg

While I adored my M1A, when the money crunch came, I sold mine.

These days, my service-type rifle is a nicely massaged Garand.

Greg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: seta8967</div><div class="ubbcode-body">yeah that was the exact rifle model I shot. The weight didn't bother me too much.
I like that stock you have, but I don't like the fact that the cheek is non-adjustable.
Is that a leupold Mk.4 scope? Is it self illuminated? How do you like it?

Did a little research and read good reviews but not much about how powerful the self-illumination is or if it a true self-illumination (as in no batteries). </div></div>

The CTR accepts 3 different height cheek risers that snap-on. I use the tallest version
(#3), but it's not quite tall enough... I am working on a fix before I fire the rifle.

That is the Leupold Mark 4 3.5-10x40mm LR/T with M2 caps and an illuminated TMR
The illuminated TMR is battery powered and I have not used this particular scope yet.

I love the look of the JAE, I looked into purchasing it, but I'm so used to pistol grips when I went to handle a M24/Rem 700 it just doesn't feel right anymore..

i forgot to say i got the best results with Hornady 168gr TAP FPD ammo, the black box stuff,... ammo selection is key with a standard rifle,. try a few from a bunch of diffrent manufactures until you find the one your rifle likes the best.

HA! my first purchase after Iraq!... Before you buy any accessories, go out and shoot it. I mean alot, put 1,000 rounds through it. You might find she is perfect the way she is and you could save some coin. Nice choice.

IMHO, aside from good (N/M) iron sights and a decent bedding job, significant mods hit the point of diminishing returns real quick.

With just the mods I suggest, good ammo and technique, an honest, consistent 1MOA is doing pretty good. Demanding better can be gotten, but at the expense of creating a finicky, cranky rifle.

If you want better, go with a complementing bolt gun in the same caliber; and embrace the M1A/M14 for what it is, a damned fine Main Battle Rifle.

Greg

The M1A is a great rifle IMO. I have a SA standard 22 in rifle. I it installed the Sage EBR Chassis and I love it. It can be a PITA doing it yoruself since the barrel is ridged to be press fit with the op rod guide. Once I got mine installed and started shooting it I fell deeper in love with the rifle.
For optics I have the SA Gen III scope mount and I advise against it. My screws came loose and I had to rezero it. I would get a Sadlak if I bought one again. Then I have a Leupold Mark 2 scope on it. I put a Yankee Hill bipod adapter on so I can use my Harris. With bipod, optics and empty it weighs about 16lbs.
Yours will be different then mine but you will most likely love it. The one addition that I feel is a must is the Sadlak NM Op Rod Guide. Works great compared to the flat factory guide. Enjoy the rifle.

Said before, but these are important mods to squeeze out the accuracy.

NM operating rod spring guide; I have Sadlak.
Unitized gas cylinder, you can find a gunsmith to do it.
NM reamed flash hider; I don't believe the standard is reamed.

When you get into reloading, read as much as you can about reloading for the M1A/M14. Then read it 5 more times. I've been reloading off and on for more than 20 years, and the M14 and Garand are different animals, and require attention, less you blow up your rifle. You're going to read a lot of info and books that warn that the earth will come off of it's axis should you reload. Take it for what it is worth; there are concerns. But be careful and attentive, and you can reload for the rifle without any troubles.

so I picked up my m1a, turns out that the ordered a loaded m1a with walnut stock instead of a standard m1a with composite stock. Oh what bad luck i have lol. Also found a old 1973 Dragunov with the original military scope with IR on it, and battery illuminated.