• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just PURE overwhelmed!

TheDon

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2009
New River, AZ
Just PURE overwhelmed by all the choices! Being very ignorant about this type of shooting and I don't want to waste the money I have saved on a poor selection. I'm 43 and ready for a serious hobby.

I know I want to get into the Long Range shooting 1000yrd plus stuff.
I know I like the LOOKs of the AI folding stock 2.0
.308 .338 .blah blah blah ????? Noclue.com!

I have read read read much of these posts in these forums....AND everyone has a good arguement for their weapon of choice.

SO can I get a suitable rifle for $1800-$2300? How much will the scope kill me for?

Minimum calibre for this range?

Can I get a rem 700 in .300 and put it in a AI stock and have competitive equipment?

SORRY FOR THE NOOB QUESTIONS!!!!

TheDon

Re: Just PURE overwhelmed!

Yes you can get a 300 WM, money depends on the scope, I personally use a 3.5-15, Rob01 on here has shot Cheytacs with a 3.5-15 and a 5.5-22, that comes down to personal preference and your eyes. You can also drop the 300 in an AICS and be competitive, but the weak link in the system is gonna be the shooter for a little bit. Also with the 300 your gonna be replacing barrels a little more often, not knocking your shooting ability, just stating facts. I am gonna quote BoltRipper here, one can learn alot with a 308. I would start with that if i were you, that ELR (extended long range) will come later and its a whole different ball game of money than long range. Personally if i had to do it over again, i would get addicted to heroin, its far less money than precision shooting

Save your cash up and wait for a nice 308 on the for sale part of the forum. You can normally get a rifle off a guy here for a lot less than building one would cost. Just keep reading posts and get a feel for what you like then when you see a good deal on one jump on it.

1800-2300 yard shooting and you want to get into the sport. Good luck with that one. Shooting those distance takes lots of practice starting at 100yards and closer.
How much shooting experience you have?
You KNOW how to shoot a rifle very accuratly at closer ranges?
You have much or any experience shooting through the enviroment, wind, temp, light, ect.....

To make shoots at those ranges you should be reading in the 1000y and beyond section.
Start with the bullet and build from there is my advice.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1800-2300 yard shooting and you want to get into the sport. Good luck with that one. Shooting those distance takes lots of practice starting at 100yards and closer.
How much shooting experience you have?
You KNOW how to shoot a rifle very accuratly at closer ranges?
You have much or any experience shooting through the enviroment, wind, temp, light, ect.....

To make shoots at those ranges you should be reading in the 1000y and beyond section.
Start with the bullet and build from there is my advice. </div></div>

I think he is talking money not yards.

I would heed deadly's advice; don't start out with a .300 win mag. That round is a real bitch to shoot with the recoil, and match ammo is so friggin expensive. I would definitely go with a .308 for a starter. Work your way up from there, and when you feel comfy out to like 800 yards, then consider something that reaches further.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: montana</div><div class="ubbcode-body">1800-2300 yard shooting and you want to get into the sport. Good luck with that one. </div></div>
I took it to mean 1800-2300 DOLLARS for a rifle suitable for 1K+ shooting. That shouldn't be terribly hard to do.

I also would say to start with a nice .308. That'll get you to 1K and let you shoot more in terms of both $$$ and recoil in a days session. Do you have access to a 1K range?

If you new to shooting bolt rifles I would suggest picking up a remington LTR or 5R and start shooting. There might be some members on this forum who are close to you. Try going out shooting with them,they might have different stocks etc from what you are shooting and might let you shoot their rifle. That way you can try before you sink big bucks into something you might not like.
As for scopes I started of with a nikon then moved up to zeiss and now have a nightforce as I figured out my shooting needs.

welcome to hide.

Mac

Pretty sure he is talking money and not yards but a dollar-sign would clarify.

I agree with Deadly0311 on a .308 being your best bet to start with. There are better bullets out there but the .308 is a very-well known cartridge and is the standard-bearer for LR shooting.

With a .300WM compared to a .308: ammo will be harder to find as well as more expensive to buy therefor making it more expensive to shoot and practice; it will burn out your barrel much faster costing more money; and you may find it to be above your personal recoil tolerance which may make you shoot it less and make you develop bad habits.

Thanks hateca, after reading again I hope so. "I know I want to get into the Long Range shooting 1000yrd plus stuff." It was that line that threw me off. That would overwelm me also starting out trying to shoot 1800 yards. It still overwhelms me.

I will post my thoughts again. Yes, you can start out for around $2000. I would agree with most here. A 308 is a good starting platform. I still shoot my 308 the most of any and love it. If all you have is about 2k I would plan a good buffer in there for ammo. I figure I burn around 30lbs of powder a year. I reload my own ammo. I put more into ammo than guns. A varmit or tacticle factory gun is not a bad place to start. You can always build from it as time goes on.
Great advice earlier. Find others that shoot and go watch and learn what will work. Most "field" matches I go to are fairly casual and have a large variety of guns. From factory to all out custom. Same for scopes being used. Plus you will find a group to enjoy the sport with.

Have fun, enjoy, be safe.

The best way to get started is to find a good used rifle or package deal, alot of times you can find a complete package, rifle, scope, loading dies, brass, bullets, loaded ammo, etc. And start with a Remington 700, and get a good trigger, alot of new shooters will forget that is one of the most important parts, Jewell is the way to go, spend the money once, you wont regret it. Also important is bags and rest, very important. I will agree with the other guys that a 308 would be a great starter, or a .260, also a very good lr choice. good luck!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Donny C.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just PURE overwhelmed by all the choices! Being very ignorant about this type of shooting and I don't want to waste the money I have saved on a poor selection. I'm 43 and ready for a serious hobby.

I know I want to get into the Long Range shooting 1000yrd plus stuff.
I know I like the LOOKs of the AI folding stock 2.0
.308 .338 .blah blah blah ????? Noclue.com!

I have read read read much of these posts in these forums....AND everyone has a good arguement for their weapon of choice.</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SO can I get a suitable rifle for $1800-$2300? How much will the scope kill me for?</div></div>

Yes. You can get a damn good rifle for that money. You can shoot at 1000 yards with a rifle that doesn't cost near that. Any fully functioning Remington 700 will enable you to have a good time with long distance shooting. There are plenty of other factory rifles that will accomplish the same thing.

For scope it depends on how much you want to spend. Many here will spend as much or more on their glass than they did on their rifle. I will soon have a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 delivered which runs new $1888. Add good base and rings and you're talking over 2 grand. I have a $900 rifle (before my recent stock upgrade); a Remington 700P LTR that has nothing special about it other than a new stock that wasn't necessary, but was a great move for me because I strongly prefer thumbhole stocks.

You can get into very-good-but-not-great glass at around the $600 mark, IMO. But it won't compare in build quality or glass quality to a high end scope. Just remember that a okay rifle with good glass is a much better position than a great rifle with junk optics. Simply put, you can hit what you can't see well, especially at range.

If you're willing to spend $1800 on a rifle and a good amount on optics, you going to have one hell of a shooter! But I would suggest that, if money is an issue, to spend less on a rifle and more on optics rather than the other way around. I learned this after having spent hundreds of dollars on less expensive scopes only to not be fully happy.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Minimum calibre for this range?</div></div>

I'm no expert, but I would suggest a .308. It will do whatever you need to. Others likely have better suggestions based off of more experience and expertise.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Can I get a rem 700 in .300 and put it in a AI stock and have competitive equipment?</div></div>

I would think so, yes. Though that depends on what you mean by "competitive." Can you shoot it out to 1000 yards and have a great time doing it while learning a skill? Absolutely. Would you be able to compete with guys who have been doing it a long time and have very precisely built equipment? No.

SORRY FOR THE NOOB QUESTIONS!!!!

TheDon [/quote]

Dude if i could have all the money I've spent on this and start over with about 2500 bucks this is what I would do.

Remington 700 SPS Tactical --- 600 bucks
Super Sniper 10xHD ---- 700 bucks

You now have a good solid starting rifle for around 1300 bucks that is 1,000 yard capable and quality equipment. The stock on the sps tactical is marginal but for another 500 or so you can drop it in a McMillan or for a little more the AI stock.

Starting out knowing you'll probably replace the stock isn't so bad as you can get a chance to get behind some sticks with different stocks and see what you really like. Hell you may even find the standard REM stock is Good to go.

So lets say with gun/glass/stock your in for 2,000. That leaves you 500 bucks for reloading equipment or ammo.

500 should let you get 1,000 rounds of good quality .308 match ammo.

If you got 2500 to spend on rifle and glass only I'd go with a Remington 5r and NightForce 2.5-10 Mil/Mil. Rifles 1,000 and glass is 1500.

I'd stay away from the magnums. You're shoulder will thank you. Especially after a few hundred rounds in a weekend.

I have a custom KMW 308 w/NF 5.5x22 in an AIC1.0. Absolutely love it. Wanted one and got one. If I was wanting to put a rifle together to strictly shoot, I'd look into a 6mmBR and put it in a stock that will track on the bags and never look back, but I'd still shoot a NF scope. Do some investigating on Accurateshooter.com.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">500 should let you get 1,000 rounds of good quality .308 match ammo.

</div></div>

I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum that would love to know where you can find match ammo for 50 cents a round without having to load it for themselves.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">500 should let you get 1,000 rounds of good quality .308 match ammo.

</div></div>

I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum that would love to know where you can find match ammo for 50 cents a round without having to load it for themselves. </div></div>

My price is a little low i guess. 650 will get you 500 rounds of FGMM in the for sale section here. CABELAS has black hills cosmetic seconds for less than 25 a box. Or you can load it and save even more money.

buy a .22lr or a 223 and start wih that. You can shoot 1000's of rounds for cheap and improve you skills.

My 2 cents.

A 260. I don't think rem. Makes factory rifles in 260 anymore but I could be mistaken

a 260 uses the same case as a 308 but uses a smaller projectile. It will have better drop and drift and you can get good factory ammo for it for the same price as the 308.

As far as scopes go. You will be spending more money than you went to. Most killer more than the rifle. Personally I would find a mil/mil scope with atleast 15x mag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: McCrazy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rrflyer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">500 should let you get 1,000 rounds of good quality .308 match ammo.

</div></div>

I'm sure there are lots of people on this forum that would love to know where you can find match ammo for 50 cents a round without having to load it for themselves. </div></div>

LOL, yeah, even the Prvi stuff is 75 cents a shot right now...

Surprised no one pointed him to what I consider the de facto basis for anyone getting started in this- Zak Smith's articles!

Just the right amount of depth- not too long, and distills pretty much all the suggestions you'd get on here. Enjoy:

1: http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-equipment/

2: http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-optics/

3: http://demigodllc.com/articles/practical-long-range-rifle-shooting-shooting/

I think it's hard to beat the .308 as a starter chambering. Plenty of acceptable ammo choices without the need to get into handloading right off the bat.

I like the Savage 10FCP-K, especially since the intro of the Accue-Stock. The features and cost are acceptable to my own more frugal approach, and the Savage action allows rebarreling later on with a minimum of fuss and bother. My assumption is that the Savage Muzzle Brake supplied is of the standard Savage version, which can be turned off by hand for situations where brakes are prohibitive. The 10FCP can be had in other configurations, but they are a bit pricier. Normally, I would have recommended one of them, but the new Accue-Stock seems to be a major improvement over the prior factory stock. I think it's worth a try.

Making the assumption that you're well along with handloading by then, a replacement barrel, chambered in .260 remington, will allow an additional several hundred yards of accurate range beyond 1Kyd without additional modifications beyond the barrel replacement itself. These L-W barrels can be user-installed (getting the original off can be a challenge, and a barrel nut wrench is a required tool) without any machining work and are priced, ready to install, at $308.

This allows more money to become available for decent optics and ammunition costs. The saving on the rifle alone could provide capital for a decent handloading facility investment.