• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just put together my first rig

sdecker

Private
Minuteman
Jun 8, 2011
First, I want to thank all the posters here for their wealth of information and knowledge. I have spent a TON of time reading and learning and after several years and a lot of saving, I am finally putting my very first 'serious' rig together.

I also want to send a special THANK YOU to my good buddy and long time Hide member jdberry. Without his help I would never have done this. He has spent countless hours teaching me ballistics, reloading, shooting, scopes, the whole works. If you have a question, he's got a damn good solid answer. Thanks Joey!

So here she is:

IMG_2859.jpg

Savage 12 LRP in 6.5 Creedmoor. As shown in that picture it's got a crappy Vortex Diamondback 3.5-10 on it and a crappy Caldwell bipod. I have a Sightron SIII and a Harris on the way. I just had to put something (anything!) on it to fire it day 1.

Now, I'm not a great shooter but I'm learning. This is the platform I chose to start getting serious with. My buddy, on the other hand, is f***ing amazing. To those people who are not convinced about the 12 LRP, take a look. The target is at a distanced 100 yards shooting thru terrible glass, a shaky bench, and a flexible bipod. These were shots 13-15 down the barrel using factory Hornady 'match' ammo.

Savagetarget7-31-12.jpg

He is a better shooter than this. It's not his fault he could only get it down to 1/2MOA. ;-) No seriously, I expect these groups to tighten up after break-in, a real bipod, a solid table and some decent glass.

I am looking forward to shooting this thing at the distance range...

Re: Just put together my first rig

Nice shooting. I also have a lrp. Shoots really well too. How's the cheek weld? Mine needs a cheek pack riser or piece BAD!

My buddy is a hell of a shot.

I can't really comment on the cheek weld for you because I am left eye dominant and use the wrong side of the stock.

What part of the Outer Banks are you in? My wife's family is from Ocracoke.

I'm lefty also. The stock is the same on both sides is it not?

I'm in Kill Devil Hills about 1.5 hrs north of ocracoke.

I just went and looked. Yes, it appears the same on both sides. I never even looked at the other side, lol. My shooting buddy is extremely experienced and he didn't have anything negative to say. He's also a lefty.

Cheek weld didn't bother me but as I mentioned before I'm still learning all my techniques. I did have some trouble with the Accutrigger. Apparently my trigger pull was not exactly straight back which was causing the trigger safety to engage. I got it all figured out but it's weird when you pull the trigger and it doesn't go bang.

I know exactly where Kill Devil Hills is, been thru there.

For a first build, it could have gone a lot worse than half MOA, congrats on a good build and excellent caliber choice.
cheers.

You will love the 6.5 Creedmoor. I was looking at the same rifle but just went with the Trophy Hunter instead as I plan on changing the barrel and stock anyways.

And your not kidding about that bipod! I got a couple when Midway had them for $20 and now they sit on the kids .22's.

Thanks guys. I'm super happy with it. The Caldwell bipod that works so well on my CZ-452 just doesn't get it done on this one. Received the new Harris yesterday.

Can't wait to get to the outdoor range and stretch it out.

Don't sell yourself short, that is a pretty nice group for your first time out with a new rifle. Like you said, you have some better equip on the way. Which if I had to bet, you groups will tighten up in no time. Those Savages are some very nice sticks!!

I have been tossing around the idea of the 6.5 Creed. What is your initial impression of it?

Brian
Surgeon

So the .556 group was shot by my friend, not me. :) He's a far better shooter than I am.

But the one most amazing thing I can say about this rifle is the trigger. It may not be in the 'top X percent' of all triggers we see here, but honestly - I am having a hard time thinking of pulling the trigger on any of my other rifles. There's no comparison. It's freaking amazing to my admittedly rather limited experience.

I plan to reload the 6.5CM. Building up brass for that very reason using the factory Hornady brass and their recipe as a baseline.

I'll get it to the distance range soon and update on how it shoots past 100.

Those rifles will flat shoot!! I put a viper pst on one and worked a load up with the 142 smk's and it has shot a .18" group at 100 yards!

Wow...that's pretty impressive. I'm putting a Sightron SIII on mine. Harris bipod has arrived and now I'm just waiting on a window for the range. I love the trigger pull on this gun.

Finally - the Harris bipod and the Sightron SIII installed. It was getting dark so I didn't zero it but a range trip is scheduled soon.

IMG_2924.jpg

IMG_2929.jpg