• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just starting out.

MadDogCD

Private
Minuteman
Jul 29, 2010
Ive just decided to take up distance shooting and im thinking .260 is where i want to start. Now i dont want to run out and spend a lot of money and buy a new rifle and such so what im thinking is just getting a accuracy barrel for my Thompson Encore. Question is would this be an ok way to go to start with.

I currently have an Interarms X in .270 that i deer hunt with

Re: Just starting out.

Ok so what "Stick" would be suggested to start with.

Any "varmint" i.e. heavier barrel rifle in 308 from Winchester, Remington, Savage. For a budget, you could probably get a used Savage for a good price.

I wouldn't start with the 260 either. It's a great round but you almost "must" reload for it. Plus, there are no "stock" 260's with the right twist.

308 is a great place for a beginner to start.

I'll take a swing at this.

700 SPS or P model of some short action breed.
Savage in. 308
Reliable tracking scope( the most you can afford)

If you don't need the knock down up close, then get a stock SPS varmint .243 and shoot 105 AMAX's.

If you don't reload, then go .308 for a while

You wont see much support for the .277 bullets around here, they just dont have enough BC to compete at long range. This is the same reason they are plagued with energy loss and wind drift at distance. A 6.5 will be a better choice vs a .277 almost every time.

Good luck deciding, buy once and cry once...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Any "varmint" i.e. heavier barrel rifle in 308 from Winchester, Remington, Savage. For a budget, you could probably get a used Savage for a good price.

I wouldn't start with the 260 either. It's a great round but you almost "must" reload for it. Plus, there are no "stock" 260's with the right twist.

308 is a great place for a beginner to start. </div></div> Listen to this man. For he speaks the truth

Agree with the above, .308 in any of the above makes and if you really want to put some rounds down and practice maybe even consider a .223. There are several models now with 1-9 twists, ammo is widely available and inexpensive. It will run to 800 possible 1000 with the right bullet. Great learning round.

JamieD