• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Just Starting to load .308 - Need Advice

tnichols

Sergeant
Supporter
Minuteman
Jan 23, 2010
Morley IA
I am just starting to load 308. I have read doc76251 thread over and over, and have purchased most of the equipment shown in the thread. My rifle is a Savage 10FP. I have been using Black Hills Match 175 BTHP exclusively (hence my spent brass is Black Hills - Winchester). I am currently setting up my Forster full length sizing die in the press. I have taken multiple fired cases and chambered them in the rifle, and to me they chamber the same or nearly the same as a loaded factory round. I have measured my fired cases with an RCBS precision mic and loaded cases as well. Near as I can tell, the shoulder is being pushed out .003 during firing, which isn't much. I installed the die exactly per doc's instructions, but through trial and error (starting out one full turn and turning it in in small increments) I end up back with it contacting the shell holder with no change in the dimension of the shoulder measurement. What am I seeing here or doing wrong?

Equipment being used:
Press - Dillon 550
Dies - Forster Ultra Full Length Sizer
Brass - Once fired Black Hills (Winchester)
Rifle - Savage 10FP McMillon
Mic - RCBS precision mic

Re: Just Starting to load .308 - Need Advice

the quickest and easiest thing to do is call Dillon tech support, they are outstanding and can understand every issue and problem as it is told in laymans terms and explain it back to you in the same language...800-223-4570

I usually dont fl-size my .308 cases until about 5-6 reloads or until they are way to long to close in the chamber. As long as you pay close attension to you max case length you will be fine. I prefer the case to fit snug in the chamber because that tells me the case conforms to the chamber perfectly.

Your problem may be that your case is not long enough to fl-size, but i cant imagine that. Maybe..

I almost never use a f/l sizer , for my bolt guns I use a body die to bump the shoulder a little and a neck die for the neck tension. this works the brass verry little.

I use mostly lapua brass , I have some federal with 9 or 10 loadings with the above method with no sign of stress (which is amazing for me as to how many people I here about fed brass having a shorter life ).

sinclair also has a good tech support for reloading

The bodies of the fired cases don't need resizing until they are too long to chamber. Then you can adjust your die to bump the shoulder. The neck, of course, does need attention each time.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sniperdude</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I almost never use a f/l sizer , for my bolt guns I use a body die to bump the shoulder a little and a neck die for the neck tension. this works the brass verry little.

I use mostly lapua brass , I have some federal with 9 or 10 loadings with the above method with no sign of stress (which is amazing for me as to how many people I here about fed brass having a shorter life ).

sinclair also has a good tech support for reloading </div></div>
+ Me also.

I had the same issue using redding dies in my 550...the shell holder keeps the die from dropping enough to setback shoulder.....I just bought an additional press (Rockchucker) to set back shoulder.....solved it.
or you could switch to dillion dies (which are sorter) or cut the bottom of yours...hard to cut carbide dies, really hard.

just remove material from the bottom side of the die.......

Only move enough brass to allow positive feed/function. move more than that and you increase headspace,throw away case life and leave accuracy on the table.

Fuck all those doodad gadgets,simply use your rifle's mannerisms to dictate sizing operations. Alot of guys overthink this shit,but it is as easy as you want it to be. In a nutshell,if you feel slight resistance upon a sized hull entering the chamber,you are ASSURED positive headspace(a good thing). If you do not,you dropped the ball.

Listen to the rifle and nothing else.