• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Just wondering

gzitterspiller

Private
Minuteman
Jul 30, 2014
I am sure they may be some posts around here with the same question.. but I will do it anyways... I am entering in the world of sharpshooting... currently a big fan of tactical sholting with pistols and personal defensenwith shotguns.
What makes a sniper rifle mpre accuarate than other in the same caliber?
Which sniper right now would be rated as the most accuarate? (There are lots of video game stuff on google searchs so I came here)
The most repetitive answer is cheytac in .375ct but I also heard that custom rifles are better so what the deal.

thanks !

Pd: not planning buying anything until I am well informed.

Well as I'm sure someone else will say, it's not called a sniper rifle unless you are a military or law enforcement officer operating as a sniper, otherwise its a precision long range rifle. Basically a precision rifle is more accurate because of the quality of materials used, the consistency of the ammunition being used, and the skill with which it was all assembled. For example a rifle with poor machining, loose tolerances, and poor metal quality will generally be less accurate and consistent than one assembled with more skill and better components.

That all being said, the rifle is only as accurate as the nut behind the trigger. If you can't hold better than an inch and a half at 100 yards the rifle WILL NOT shoot better than that no matter how high quality it is.

As for what rifle is most accurate, thats a very loaded question. It really depends on what the intended application is, if you're shooting paper at 50 yards a high quality .22lr from walther or anshutz might be the most accurate, if you want to shoot at 600 yards you have to step up to something larger in order for the bullet to actually make it to the target. I don't think there is one rifle that anyone can without a doubt say is the most accurate for anything and everything. Most of everything in shooting is personal preference, for example, one person might like a Sako TRG, another likes a GAP custom in a Manners T4, another an AI. The CheyTac you reference is about $10k from eurooptic without optics whereas a TRG is about $3k, so price comes into play with alot of decisions too. Stick around and read as much as you can here, theres a whole lot of great information to be found.

I am sure they may be some posts around here with the same question.. but I will do it anyways... I am entering in the world of sharpshooting... currently a big fan of tactical sholting with pistols and personal defensenwith shotguns.

Yer not from around here, is yuh? If you went to high school in the USA you should get your grammar, syntax and spelling squared away before playing with firearms. If English is a 2nd (3rd, 4th whatever) language for you, forget I said anything.

Quality of the barrel, chamber dimensions and skill of the person who chambered the barrel, dimensional accuracy of the action, action to stock interface, quality of the stock and other factors.

Which sniper right now would be rated as the most accuarate? (There are lots of video game stuff on google searchs so I came here)

I'm going to assume you mean "which rifle is most accurate". There isn't one. Plenty of sources for rifles that shoot sub .5 moa; several sources for rifles that will shoot one hole groups from a rest.

The most repetitive answer is cheytac in .375ct but I also heard that custom rifles are better so what the deal.

.375 cheytac is a caliber, not a rifle. There is no special pixie dust that makes it more accurate than other calibers. Spend some time reading threads on this forum.

thanks !

Pd: not planning buying anything until I am well informed.

375 CT doesn't come into it's realm of expertise till a mile has been exceeded. So for 95% long range shooting the 338's and even the big 30 cals are much more pleasant to shoot and are less inexpensive cartridges that are suitable for the job.

Accuracy depends on the quality of the build components and the talent of the smith. Don't expect much out of a Rem or Savage compared to a quality custom rifle. You get what you pay for, well-unless you get lucky.

If you have the means get a Surgeon or a Accuracy International and a decent scope and have at it.

Yeah, I would suggest reading more and posting less for the time being. Your questions come across as someone not willing to do even the least amount of homework about the knowledge base here, but someone who just came on in to Snipers Hide and posted their questions.

This message board is for "serious precision marksmen" so the "stupid questions" section needs to considered in that light. You do not come across as someone who is serious about this.

Yer not from around here, is yuh? If you went to high school in the USA you should get your grammar, syntax and spelling squared away before playing with firearms. If English is a 2nd (3rd, 4th whatever) language for you, forget I said anything.

Quality of the barrel, chamber dimensions and skill of the person who chambered the barrel, dimensional accuracy of the action, action to stock interface, quality of the stock and other factors.

I'm going to assume you mean "which rifle is most accurate". There isn't one. Plenty of sources for rifles that shoot sub .5 moa; several sources for rifles that will shoot one hole groups from a rest.

.375 cheytac is a caliber, not a rifle. There is no special pixie dust that makes it more accurate than other calibers. Spend some time reading threads on this forum.

English definetely not my main language, sorry for that. When I said .375CT I was referring to the rifle Cheytac m200 chambered in .375CT.

375 CT doesn't come into it's realm of expertise till a mile has been exceeded. So for 95% long range shooting the 338's and even the big 30 cals are much more pleasant to shoot and are less inexpensive cartridges that are suitable for the job.

Accuracy depends on the quality of the build components and the talent of the smith. Don't expect much out of a Rem or Savage compared to a quality custom rifle. You get what you pay for, well-unless you get lucky.

If you have the means get a Surgeon or a Accuracy International and a decent scope and have at it.

Both of you defined accuaracy as quality in the production of the rifle and the presicion in putting the parts together. So let me ask the previous question in another way.... if presicion depends on that... what brand is the most consistent in matching the highest quality (this are the ones I've heard around here):
- Cheytac
- Venom tactical
- Surgeon rifles
- Sako trg
- Mc Millan
- Accuracy International
- Van dyke

How would you order that list based on your experience ? (In .338)
And last one, is there any similar caliber to the 9x39mm russian caliber in the USA ? (specially designed to be subsonic).

Last edited:
If you live overseas get a AI and call it good.

I'm partial to Surgeon and their XL action myself but mostly because I prefer 90 degree bolt throw and single stage triggers, although I like the 30 moa integral base and recoil lug.

You sound like you are very new to this sport, if not correct me but thats how it sounds. In that case I would recommend waiting on a $5-10k rifle and learning to squeeze all the accuracy potential out of a more affordable firearm first. Try something from savage, remington, tikka, or any other decent brand. This way you'll have the opportunity to start out slow and learn the basics. Squeeze accuracy out of factory ammo until you plateau then start hand loading and tune the load to your rifle. You'll learn alot this way and not shell out thousands of dollars, euros, or whatever currency you happen to use.
Another thing, it sounds like you want to start out with a big bore caliber. While theres nothing at all wrong with wanting a bigger gun, almost everyone here will recommend starting out at 100 yards/meters then incrementally pushing the range 50-100 yards/meters at a time. At these shorter ranges everyone will recommend you start with a large caliber like a .338 lapua or .375 cheytac is just stupid overkill. These calibers do become much better at longer ranges though, I'm talking beyond 1000 yards though. Start out with a .243 win, .308 win, 6.5 creed, hell even a .223 rem and learn your fundamentals without throwing $2+ per shot downrange. Once you have the fundamentals down go for your .375 cheytac and start really pushing the range.