• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Just Wondering

Sterling Shooter

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 10, 2004
Louisville, Kentucky
Understanding the importance of stock weld to good shooting, providing a foundation for consistent sight alignment, as well as control over the rifle, why is it that rifles, such as the Remington 700P, are so favorably accepted when it appears, for most, the stock's comb height is too low to get an ideal stock weld, even when using a optic mounted as low as one could be mounted. Seems to me, you've got a stock designed for irons, which needs to be doctored up for scope usage. Why buy a new gun that needs to be doctored up?

Re: Just Wondering

I think the general consensus is that the 700P is a good starting point and as a shooter becomes more experienced he'll probably change the stock or add to it. Granted, it's not the best idea to start with a handicap but that's what we're here for... to help people improve their skills. Right?

Good question.
Maybe Remington, and others feel that the average buyer does not care about proper form and will most likely only take a few shots a year out of the rifle.

It makes no sense to me?????

I think this question should be directed more to the stock manufacturers instead of the gun manufacturers. Remington puts the best bang for their buck on the rifles.

Another consideration is that if the comb is too high, it interferes with cleaning rod and bore-guide. Thus the adjustable comb on the mcmillan stocks. You can move it down for cleaning. Also considerably more expensive.

What would you consider ideal? Individual facial structure and scope size not withstanding...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CRab</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What would you consider ideal? Individual facial structure and scope size not withstanding...</div></div>

An adjustable comb

adjustable would be great but it does add to the cost which negates the point of "entry level". For the most part I feel the stocks are designed around the minimum which allows for maximum versatility. There is no way for a fixed stock to be mass produced and be expected to exactly meet the needs of every scope/shooter application. Buyer adjustment is needed and possible expected.

to you or me a few extra bucks seems like nothing but to a company full of bean counters and bottoms lines the added cost of assembly changes and additional manufacturing steps could turn a small profit margin into a loss.

While we would value the addition there is a larger share of people that would not appreciate it. (just guessing here)

and the addition of a saddle to a tupperware stock for many here would be of little help as I expect most or at least many would still change the stock as is done now. Tupperware with a saddle is still just tupperware with a saddle
smile.gif