• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing K-98 Project (First project)

dannyryan007

Private
Minuteman
May 16, 2011
Washington State, USA
I have it in mind to "build" a project gun. I want to keep it relatively inexpensive, without sacrificing too much quality. This project is mostly for fun. If it works, i would use the rifle for hunting and targets. It would not be my primary long range rifle. but, yeah, here's my idea.

I have a k-98 mauser which the years have not been kind to. There are screws holding parts in place that were previously held in place by spring pins(?) which are now missing. I could restore it, but... i can always just buy another one. i want to make something unique. I am looking at using that action and possibly the stock, of the mauser and making a scout type rifle chambered in 7mm-08.

If i do this, i will want a new, decent, not top of the line barrel/receiver that will match up with the mauser action. And possibly a new stock. I would want a shorter barrel, somewhere in the 16-18 range, so i don't know how the current stock would work, i could sand/reshape it (I like woodwork). Or i could get a new stock also.... but then again.... idk.

Any thoughts, tips, leads on parts, etc? I have never done anything like this and am VERY open to advice.

Re: K-98 Project (First project)

This is a very simple project many company's make stocks for the Mauser rifles.You first need to know which size you have the large ring 98 came in short medium and large, stamping and pictures and the distance between the bottom action screws will help determin this.The Mauser barrel is available short chambered threaded and contoured ready for final fitting and head-spacing.Triggers bolt handles and scope + peep sights are all available.I built my custom deer rifle on a M-48 yugo in 35rem it weighs 4.5 lbs and will out shoot most deer guns in the field.

Awesome. Thanks for the info. How would i figure out what sized rings i have? and would you recommend any aftermarket stock in particular? there are only dozens of them. I appreciate it.

Also, Where might i get a new barrel and receiver? I am fairly certain that want to do a 7mm-08. but... short of ordering a $1200 rig from a custom gun shop, i don't know where i would find it.

You said you have a K-98 that is your receiver.Almost all 8mm Mauser 98 type actions are large ring. Approximately 1.300 in diameter you must determine the length short med or long by measuring the distance between action screws.Boyds is a good place to find a stock that is to your taste google replacement rifle stocks for other makers.Barrels plus many other parts are available from Brownell.Your project while a simple one for a trained smith is still alot of work.You should locate a good smith in your area to re-barrel your action drill and tap it for a scope mount and have it re-blued plus re-bending the bolt handle.You may wish to buy a book on fitting stocks or many good books were printed in the 1950s on sport-arising 98s by the NRA these books will give you a idea of the work involved and if you have the skills to do it.

If you have screws holding the barrel bands on, it may be a late war rifle,and that may be correct. What does the reciever say? Post up some pics if you can.

I have a couple Mauser projects going on right now mylsef. Both are Interarms commercial 98 Mauser actions, so that helps a little.

The first one is getting rebarreled by McGowen into a 375 Ruger with #4 sporter weight barrel and will ride in a Rem 798 laminated stock.

The second one is a test to see if I can build a cheapo 308 that shoots well. It has a Adams & Bennett fluted SS barrel with a short chamber that I will finish ream to final depth. The stock is a Boyd Ross Thumbhold Varmint laminated wood. I have an EGW +20 MOA mount for it. I am not expecting bugholes from this gun but sub MOA should be able to get. Since I had the action, the rest of the parts (barrel, stock, mount) is under $350.

Brownell's has a decent article on the different Masuer actions. I like the book THE MAUSER BOLT ACTIONS - A SHOP MANUAL.

Good luck with your project.