• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

K98 Action For 260 Build?

landtoy80

Sergeant
Minuteman
Called my gunsmith about my 260 build. He said he has several surplus K98 Mauser actions. He also has a FN Mark10 Or Mark X (or something like that)complete rifle in 30-06 that he says would work for my 260 build.

How good is the K98 Mauser or FN Mauser action?

Re: K98 Action For 260 Build?

I would go with FN Mauser. Some of the older M98 actions may not have been heat treated correctly and shouldn't lap lugs on those.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GB213</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would go with FN Mauser. Some of the older M98 actions may not have been heat treated correctly and shouldn't lap lugs on those. </div></div>

Statements like this do no good.

I mean to jump on you a little bit, but not in a malicious sense. Here's my problem with your statment.

About 10 million K98's exist, there's a few thousand that have any kind of question on heat treat, and that question comes from myths and shooter happenstances with little proof.

The NRA tested a number of the Mauser actions produced around the world after WWII and found that they needed to use high energy materials to take apart the actions, it was damn near impossible to blow a mauser up.

So here's a statement that would be more applicable to his question.

1) The mauser is strong and an excellent build platform.
2) Actions made in late WWII (1944-1945) in Germany or Czech plants might have issues because of the use of slave labor. You might want to steer clear of them, it's somewhat of a roll of the dice.
3) Anything made up to 1943, including the lowly "Turk" mausers are exceptionally strong actions.
4) A commercial action is going to probably have a better build reputation because they were not cranked out on military production lines. Military guns can be made into excellent shooters with proper care.

The statement about not lapping the lugs is not applicable to a proper heat treat. Taking a couple of thousandths of an inch off the lugs in the action is not going to cause the critical failure before shooting modern loads in an improperly heat treated actions.

Everything you stated is without reference and in general is flat out wrong.

Coming from a mechanical engineer who's specialty is failure analysis of high stress components, I'm intimately familiar with the loading case involved.

Please do not perpetrate internet rumors of "blow up" actions without some kind of substantiation. This does little to help our sport and only serves to perpetrate ignorance and misunderstanding amongst gun owners.

I don't want to make it seem like a personal attack, I'm trying to make a point that there's little actual fact and value in your statement.

To the OP-

The mausers are great actions, they're very strong, and they can be very accurate. The rear tang is very important to pillar bed because it does not have a lot of contact area on the bedding job and is known to "shoot loose" over about 1500 rounds.

If the action you choose does not fall in 1944-1945 then I would have absolutely no concerns building on it.

bohem hit it right on the money. Lots of misinformation/rumors flying around on this subject. Only thing I would add is that many of the 1909 DWM actions had heat treating problems that didn't cause blowups, but did cause bolt lug setback with only a few rounds fired. I had two and you could feel the lugs turning into the recesses as you worked the bolt. The problem is that the 1909 action is so damned pretty, it just begs you to build something on it; especially since they put a hinged floorplate on them from the start. There was a company out in Ca. that would re-heat treat mauser actions for about 75.00 but I can't recall the name.