• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

k98 mauser questions

fish2keel

Sergeant
Minuteman
Hey guys,

I have a k98 mauser that Im starting to finally put together. I have a few questions though.

First is a problem I've had with the bolt. When I rack the bolt back it is very stiff to twist the bolt. But when the safety is off the bolt can be racked free and easy and very smooth.

Any reason why this may be?

The mauser is a k98 that is chambered in 8mm at the moment. Although Im looking to get to rebarreled and have the caliber changed. The bolt is not the same serial number as the receiver if that makes any difference.

Thanks guys

f2k

Re: k98 mauser questions

When you say you are putting it back together - have you ever owned the rifle when it was assembled and shot it?

If yes, is it different now to how it used to be?

Nothing blocking the bolt rails?

But.....bolt closed and safety fully clockwise...shouldn't the safety lock the bolt?

How is it with the safety in the upright position? Sticking?

I'm not near my Mauser at the moment to check.....but I'm pretty sure it should.

I'd also check headspace once you have it back together.....

I have a mauser, your bolt should not open when the safty is all the way to the right, the safty lever it staight up it still on safe but it unlocks the bolt and when the safty lever is all the way to the left the bolt is unlock and the rifle is on fire. So when you say you can open the bolt when it safty lever is on safe that is not a good thing.

And the caliber you may want to rethink that. 8mm is a hard hitting round. it is about the same size as the 30-06 ( not the same size dont try and put a 30-06 in their will not work) and you can still get military supplus 8mm ammo around for cheap. i think i paid $100 for 800 rounds on stripper clips

Also if you have original german mauser thier is alot of history there so you may think about leaving it original condition but it is your rifle so do as you please but think about.

Basraboy has asked you the right questions_[with the rifle in your hand,you have a three-position lever:_1)lever lowered to the left=safety off_ 2)lever in vertical position=safety on and bolt free to twist and go rearward_ 3)lever lowered to the right=safety on and bolt firmly locked_period_ on the positions 1) and 2)the bolt can be freely removed from the rifle without any effort_ the different serial number K98k bolt don't affect the correct functionement of the K98k_ if your ending goal is rebarreling/rechambering it,I think you better give NOW all,bolt included,to a pro anyway_]_ by the way, if the REAR action SCREW is tightened,in ABSENCE of his SPACER inside the stock,will protrude too much,beside binding the action,the floor/trigger plate,and damaging the stock _that,of course,can interfere with the bolt travel...

Thanks guys for such a quick response. Sorry about just now returning a replay. I posted and then got busy with personal issues.

Anyway when the safety is all the way to the right it does stay locked. When it is all the way to the left or vertical then it does move. When it has been fired though the bolt is difficult to then get to open and then rack back to put another round in the chamber.

It is a k98 mauser with markings on the receiver but the stock and bolt have been sportized through the years by other owners.

I do like the 8mm cartridge but am looking for something else at the moment.

Not sure what you mean by a sporterized bolt. Maybe if you can post pics of the bolt for a comparison?

But what I understand from your post:

- the bolt moves freely if no round is chambered with the safety in all positions.

- If a round is chambered and fired, the bolt is tight to move with the safety in either the fully left or vertical positions.

- Bolt is securely locked and will not open with the safety fully right.

A few questions:

Does it move freely once the case has been ejected?

Did you try firing a single round and then racking the action to see if it moves freely with no second round to chamber?

How's the extractor? Parallel to the bolt body with no visible distortions?

Is it rotating freely (remove the bolt, the extractor should rotate around the bolt body easily)? Any signs of wear/rubbing?

Have you stripped the bolt to see if all is as it should be - no missing, incorrect or damaged parts? Cleaned, lubed?

Are you shooting handloads or factory ammo? New or fired brass?

Is the brass deformed in any way once fired/extracted?

Does the bolt handle move easily up/down to load and unload or is that tight too?

Did you check headspace?

What is the condition of the chamber? Is it the original issued barrel or has that been changed out?

Any signs of undue wear on the bolt where it is sticking on anything (scratches/ damage to the blueing etc.)?

How is the trigger? Any signs that it is not disengaging properly/sticking and obstructing the bolt? Same with the bolt release (although if that were an issue I'd expect it to happen all the time?)

Have you tried racking the action with a dummy/proving round or different makes of ammo to see if it happens all the time?

Im sorry I ment for it to say that the stock had been sporterized and the bolt had been turned down and then grounded down to accept a scope

But what I understand from your post:

- the bolt moves freely if no round is chambered with the safety in all positions.

- If a round is chambered and fired, the bolt is tight to move with the safety in either the fully left or vertical positions.

- Bolt is securely locked and will not open with the safety fully right.

A few questions:

Does it move freely once the case has been ejected? Once the round has been fired it gets stiff with or without a case in the the chamber

Did you try firing a single round and then racking the action to see if it moves freely with no second round to chamber? Yes I have it still gives me the same problem

How's the extractor? Parallel to the bolt body with no visible distortions? I did not see any visible distortions at all and everything seemed fine

Is it rotating freely (remove the bolt, the extractor should rotate around the bolt body easily)? Any signs of wear/rubbing? It rotates freely. It does show signs of rubbing or wear though

Have you stripped the bolt to see if all is as it should be - no missing, incorrect or damaged parts? Cleaned, lubed? I have cleaned and lubed the bolt. I did it just last week

Are you shooting handloads or factory ammo? New or fired brass? I have only shot it a handfull of times and it was with remington factory ammo

Is the brass deformed in any way once fired/extracted? No it came out normal

Does the bolt handle move easily up/down to load and unload or is that tight too? It is tight as well

Did you check headspace? I have not checked the headspace yet

What is the condition of the chamber? Is it the original issued barrel or has that been changed out? It is the original issued barrel and the chamber looked to be in good condition with no signs of pitting or rust or anything

Any signs of undue wear on the bolt where it is sticking on anything (scratches/ damage to the blueing etc.)? It does have lines going down the bolt where it looks like it was sticking

How is the trigger? Any signs that it is not disengaging properly/sticking and obstructing the bolt? Same with the bolt release (although if that were an issue I'd expect it to happen all the time?) The trigger seems good to the eye. It engages every time. It does have a high pull weight and lots of creep but from what ive read thats normal.

Have you tried racking the action with a dummy/proving round or different makes of ammo to see if it happens all the time? I have not tried a dummy round but I have tried two different types of ammo and both do the same thing

I see some misunderstandings _ I repeat:round chambered or not,bolt moves freely witt safety on left side,and you can remove it_round chambered or not,bolt moves freely with safety lever vertical,but you can't extract it from the action_ round chambered or not,safety on the right,bolt is locked in the action_ round chambered,unchambered,fired or unfired:DON'T MATTER,because the bolt behaves in the same way_ most K98ks requires the (single/first)round must not be chambered inserting it in the chamber manually with the fingers: they need the round be inserted first in the magazine,depressing the plate,and after that the round can be "hooked" and chambered working the bolt;not performing this task can damage the extractor _ when the magazine is empty,and/or the last round ejected,the rearwarded bolt won't return in closure if you don't depress the magazine's upper plate,on most unmodified K98s_ I repeat: PLEASE,SEEK THE HELP OF A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH !

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilecoyote</div><div class="ubbcode-body">PLEASE,SEEK THE HELP OF A QUALIFIED GUNSMITH ! </div></div>

+1

I'll throw a third for the Gunsmith - it's always good to have a qualified person look over an old warhorse before using it.

I would also suggest that you do a thorough cleaning of the bore and chamber. Also, I would clean and polish the inside of the receiver. Every round fired leaves behind a small amount of brass and powder residue. They build up over time and the normal heat expansion of the action, bore and chamber MAY be contributing factors to the problem.

I clean the bore and chamber of my MILSURPS with Patch Out every 150 to 200 rounds. You can use other brands of bore cleaners but I prefer Patch Out. Once cleaned, I then polish the bore with JB Bore Bright (this isn't the older abrasive stuff - it is a smooth cream that works wonders and was recommended by the gunsmith I work with for my MILSURPS).