• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kac dimpled barrels

Brym427

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2021
PA
Have a few sr25s im thinking about sending out to be cerekoted at ns armory. Is it worth it to get the barrels dimpled before i get them coated? Yes the dimples look cool but does it really offer any true advantages? Does it have a negative affect on accuracy? Does it actually cool the barrel that much faster, does it heat up much faster? Seems like it could be a pain to get clean after a dusty day shooting

Never had an issue with cleaning them. They definitely look cool, weight reduction is a real benefit. Maybe the heat transfer is quicker on both ends, but who cares!? Value and cost is subjective, only you can answer that.

Last edited:
Brought the weight of my 16" PC down to a 16" CC. You lose about a 1/2 lb. No issue with accuracy after the dimpling.

Never had an issue with cleaning them. They definitely look cool, weight reduction is a real benefit. Maybe the heat transfer is quicker on both ends, but who cares!? Value and cost is subjective, only you can answer that.

Brought the weight of my 16" PC down to a 16" CC. You lose about a 1/2 lb. No issue with accuracy after the dimpling.

Come on guys this post was to try to find a way for me to not spend more money lol

Definitely think it's worth it on an APR. You would drop a tone of weight. I think the barrel probably warms up a little faster with less mass but also cools down faster but other then weight I didn't really notice. I would ask ns armory or presample Depot their thoughts.

Definitely think it's worth it on an APR. You would drop a tone of weight. I think the barrel probably warms up a little faster with less mass but also cools down faster but other then weight I didn't really notice. I would ask ns armory or presample Depot their thoughts.

Do you think having it dimpled increases value at least as much as the cost to dimple? Ive talked to ns a few times now and its really just something i need to decide. But its a tough decision. And he said lead time for dimple is completely out of his hands. Thats holding me back alittle too. I dont know how i feel about the rifles being gone for 5 months

I really don't think it does anything for resale unless someone's looking for that specific thing. If I was looking for resale I would probably just not shoot it and stick it in the closet. I definitely think as of right now there's an FDE value but that could go away. The markets are fickle.

Reactions: RTH1800
I really don't think it does anything for resale unless someone's looking for that specific thing. If I was looking for resale I would probably just not shoot it and stick it in the closet. I definitely think as of right now there's an FDE value but that could go away. The markets are fickle.
The biggest reason im even considering it is because some rifles came with dimples from the factory. So that leads me to believe there is a reason they do it. But then again mine wont be factory dimpled so does it even matter

They came that way to meet the weight requirements of a customer. The new 6.5 uppers have dimpling and from what I have heard are lasers.

If weight is the only reason for it maybe i wont get it done then. I dont mind the weight of them now

The only factory dimpled barrels in the past were the Mod 1 14.5" SBR and the Christmas Cheer ULW barrel. I don't think you're doing anything for it's value since the APR wasn't offered with dimples from the factory. It looks cool, saves weight, possibly helps with cooling and shouldn't have any impact on it's accuracy. The ball milling was extremely shallow on the Christmas Cheer barrel.

The only factory dimpled barrels in the past were the Mod 1 14.5" SBR and the Christmas Cheer ULW barrel. I don't think you're doing anything for it's value since the APR wasn't offered with dimples from the factory. It looks cool, saves weight, possibly helps with cooling and shouldn't have any impact on it's accuracy. The ball milling was extremely shallow on the Christmas Cheer barrel.
I thought there was a few sr25s that were dimpled for military contracts. But i could be wrong

I thought there was a few sr25s that were dimpled for military contracts. But i could be wrong

Yes in the large frames, I was just referencing the SR-15’s. I had two SR-25’s that were factory dimpled, the ECC was a commercial dimpled SR-25.

Yes in the large frames, I was just referencing the SR-15’s. I had two SR-25’s that were factory dimpled, the ECC was a commercial dimpled SR-25.
I am trying to decide whether or not to get 2 of my APRs dimpled before i get them cerekoted

Anything you do to a barrel regarding removing metal has the potential to reduce accuracy. ie threading, fluting, dimpling etc.
I am very doubtful that any modification to a KAC SR will add to value. If someone wants a dimpled barrel it will be for a factory job.
Long to short, If you want it, do it. If you think it will add value you are not going to be happy. Nor will you add value by Cera coating them. Even if the market likes FDE today it may not tomorrow.
The market always likes ORIGINAL. The market always likes ORIGINAL. The market always likes.....

That is incorrect. SR15 Magpul edition as well as the SR25 EMC’s we dimpled.

Have a few sr25s im thinking about sending out to be cerekoted at ns armory. Is it worth it to get the barrels dimpled before i get them coated? Yes the dimples look cool but does it really offer any true advantages? Does it have a negative affect on accuracy? Does it actually cool the barrel that much faster, does it heat up much faster? Seems like it could be a pain to get clean after a dusty day shooting

Dimpling was all the rage on here for awhile, everybody was dimpling everything at ADCO (or whomever was doing it, I thought adco). I don't recall any negative threads about it either. Seemed preferable to fluting.

That is incorrect. SR15 Magpul edition as well as the SR25 EMC’s we dimpled.

The Magpul edition was even more unobtanium than the Christmas Cheer stuff so meh. The EMC predated the ECC and the Delta trade-in A, B, C grades also had them. I owned both a trade-in and an ECC, so I’m not wrong, I simply forgot/left out a random super rare edition that also had it.

My point is that there weren’t many in the grand scheme of things and of those that did have them were relatively limited or short lived.

Reactions: mrtoyz