• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC M110 Stock

BasraBoy

Gunny Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 29, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Looking at doing an SPR type build.

Rifle will be mainly for paper punching out to 600yds.

Would be interested to hear opinions on, or experience of this stock compared with a PRS or UBR.

Thanks in advance.

Re: KAC M110 Stock

I have a PRS stock and am pleased with it.

Dont really see what the KAC stock offeres other than adjustable length of pull and KAC sticker shock.

For a scoped rifle cheek weld is a big consideration and the KAC stock offers nothing in that department.

Given a choice of only one feature adj LOP or cheek rest I would pick the cheek rest.

PRS offers both and the cheek weld on the UBR while not ideal its better than the A2 stock.

Just my 2cents.

A06

I had an M110 stock on my SR15 Match and it worked very well.

Pros: The weight was very reasonable, it adjusted in a snap, and fit & finish was perfect. My wife and I would both shoot the rifle so the quick easy adjustment was the true bonus for us.

Cons: Cost, typical of KAC

Would I buy another if I was in the market for another one? Yes I would. If you go with the M110 stock remember to use the supplied shorter stock screw or shorten your own otherwise the buffer WILL bottom out against it.

DSC_0006.jpg

DSC_0003.jpg

Thanks guys

I have a couple of UBR and like them - for this build I wanted to try to keep the look similar to the original.

I agree with A06 on the PRS. Having LOP and Cheek adjustments - that is the "sensible" choice
wink.gif

sr15match - nice rifle!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BasraBoy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looking at doing an SPR type build.

Rifle will be mainly for paper punching out to 600yds.

Would be interested to hear opinions on, or experience of this stock compared with a PRS or UBR.

Thanks in advance.</div></div>If you are building an SPR...I would (and did) go with the PRS. I sold my M110 & UBR stocks in the FS section here and haven't shed a tear since.

The UBR is more adjustable for LOP then the PRS. The PRS is technically adjustable in height but isn't able to be used in practice. It has to clear the charging handle so is too far back on the stock to use. I made the PRS mistake once and now am sold on the UBR.

There are two versions of the PRS - one for AR10s and one for AR15s. If you get the correct version for your platform you can raise the comb and still pull the CH all the way back.

Good luck

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mo_Zam_Beek</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are two versions of the PRS - one for AR10s and one for AR15s. <span style="color: #CC0000">If you get the correct version for your platform you can raise the comb and still pull the CH all the way back</span>.</div></div>

Really?

If correct, that is good to know as most of the negatives I've read about the PRS said this was not possible. That is what has always put me off the PRS till now.

I really like my UBRs that I have but the flexibility of an adjustable comb does appeal......

Mo_Zam_Beek, badshot308 - thanks for the heads up on that.

Would certainly make the PRS a more interesting option!

Even if you get the right version that clears the charging handle the cheek piece is still unusable. Since it has to clear the charging handle it is way too far back on the stock to use.

falar - thanks, I understand your point. I guess I'd need to find one and give it a try.

I have a "spare" UBR in the cupboard that is a known quantity
wink.gif

I don't think KAC sells the M110 stock anymore separate.
I may be wrong, but I called and talked to someone there about buying one for my SR-15 SPR build.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Even if you get the right version that clears the charging handle the cheek piece is still unusable. Since it has to clear the charging handle it is way too far back on the stock to use. </div></div>

It all depends on your build and how you shoulder the rifle. For me and many others it works fine. If you position your head quite forward like the guys that were taught in the military to put their nose to the charging handle, then yes, the comb sits back too far. When I lay prone straight behind a rifle, my eye is so far back that the scope has to be set back farther than on a rifle that I would normally shoot off hand or from the bench. The nice thing about the PRS stock is that you can adjust the butt plate back if needed to get the proper weld on the comb. If BasraBoy normally places his face close to the charging handle on an AR, then he should really try one out first. </div></div>

Yes, that is how we are taught to do it in the military and I don't see any other way working. How can you exert proper control over the rifle (especially off hand) with your face so far back on the stock?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You have to remember, these stocks are not designed for that type of shooting. PRS stands for Precision Rifle Stock. They are designed for scoped rifles shot from a prone position not run and gun battle rifles. The UBR is the Utility/Battle Rifle stock. That stock is not the ideal stock for a precision rifle application with a scope mounted much higher than normal irons or an EOTech would be. I can drive my AR-10 fine with that stock and I simply lower the comb and adjust the buttplate to use the irons.

IMG_4430s.jpg
</div></div>

I tried both and kept the UBR. I don't see how the PRS is more suited to prone shooting and the UBR lets me shoot in ANY position. I actually prefer the UBR for shooting prone too as I find it easy to bag and can collapse it farther and like the shape of the butt better. I've changed this setup around a lot but finally have it where I want it.

2a68g3p.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The UBR comb is too low for me to get a proper cheekweld with the scope. For you it works fine. For you, the comb of the PRS is too far back. For me it's fine. Different stocks work for different people. BasrBoy will have to try one to see what works for him. </div></div>

He asked for UBR vs PRS opinions. I've had both, I now just have one. So I was relaying my experience with the Magpul stocks in question. Most people I know who have tried the PRS have gotten rid of it for the same reasons I've stated in this thread.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badshot308</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct,but your statement "The UBR is more adjustable for LOP then the PRS. The PRS is technically adjustable in height but isn't able to be used in practice. It has to clear the charging handle so is too far back on the stock to use. I made the PRS mistake once and now am sold on the UBR." doesn't apply to everyone. That's why I responded. That stock works for many and and doesn't work for others. BasrBoy should have the opportunity to try one out and see if it works for him instead of being told that it can't be used just because it doesn't fit you. </div></div>

The UBR is more adjustable LOP wise, and I don't know of anyone/anyplace that instructs shooting with your face near the back of the stock. I will stand by all of my statements.

Thanks for the in-depth discussion guys - really appreciated!

I don't know anyone with a PRS so I "mocked up" the UBR based on what I understood from falar's comments.

With the ACOG normally on this rifle I am a "nose on the charging handle" guy.

I opened up the UBR to the "minimum" PRS LOP given on the MagPul site (13.3"), pulled the charging handle fully back and marked the end of travel with masking tape. I used this as a rough guide to where the PRS cheekpiece would be.

I then mounted the 2.5-10x24 that I've got for this build as far back as it could go without removing the BUIS.

The results were not good - althought the height of the stock was not a major problem, the eye relief was way too long - severe tunneling on the scope. Totally unusable.

I realise this is not a very "scientific" test and my method may be open to question but I had to move my head well in front of the masking tape "boundary" towards the charging handle to get the correct eye relief.

I'm guessing that on a PRS this would make the adjustable height capability a "feature" rather than a "benefit" as in practice it would not be usable with this particular scope.

Looks like I'll stick with the UBR on this rifle as it is a known quantity for me.

If you go want to go with the KAS M110 stock just go to Brownells and get a Sierra Precision Adjustable Butt Plate. It's way cheaper and works great. The Sierra Precision Grip is awesome too.

badshot308 I've got Troy flip-ups on my current rifle - the 2.5-10x24 is in a Larue LT104 - so the BUIS fit under the scope. The eye piece of the scope is roughly level with the charging handle.

There is probably a little rearward adjustment left if I moved the scope back in the mount (maybe 1/4" to 1/2") but I'm not sure that would make that much difference to the tunneling if I went for the PRS.

Not a great pic but see below.

On the SPR build I'm planning to use the KAC 200-600 flip-up.

ArscopeBuis.jpg

This is a good point and had also looked at it a few years ago before buying the M110 stock. Just something to remember also if you go this route. I believe (could be wrong) look at using an A1 stock with this as it would then give more room to adjust.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dagger</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you go want to go with the KAS M110 stock just go to Brownells and get a Sierra Precision Adjustable Butt Plate. It's way cheaper and works great. The Sierra Precision Grip is awesome too. </div></div>

dagger, sr15match - thanks for the suggestion. I'll certainly check it out.

In addition to the adjustable butt plate, another reason why I was looking at the KAC M110 was I thought (assumed?) that it would be a good "heavy weight" stock.

The A2's I've bought here in the past are pretty poor quality/light weight plastic that bend pretty easily just by squeezing them between thumb and forefinger.

I plan on using an 18" SPR profile barrel - I like the solidity and weight of UBR to help balance the rifle. If necessary I can putt weight in the trapdoor on the UBR and on an A2 there is always the opton to add a lead weight
if necessary (although I'm not sure how this would affect the install on the Sierra adjustable butt plate you mention?

Any recommends on the best quality A2 in terms of weight/solidity?

The M110 stock really isn't heavy or add weight by comparison. The basic shell is the same as most of the rest out there. It didn't flex by pushing on it from what I can remember. It was a sturdy piece.

Their additions / parts don't add much weight at all. It's aluminum & plastic parts weight very little but the quality is typical Knights, very nice at least on the one I had. It's an expensive option when comparing it to other stocks.

Thanks guys, that's very helpful info.

I don't think moving the scope back in the mounts is going help get the eye relief I need to make the PRS adjustable cheekpiece usable.

I remember seeing an adjustable A2 style stock from Ironstone in the past but they seem to have vanished...are they still in business?

The UBR fits the bill on all the main criteria...except the "old school" SPR look. As this is not a wall hanger/safe queen, functionality wins out over cosmetics!
wink.gif

I have a PRS on my LR-308 and shoot it from various positions but mainly prone.Yes it is a bit heavier than the standard A2 stock it had on but if you are weak grow stronger lol. The issues with the PRS and charging handle clearance is that there are 2 modles 1 for the 308 and 1 for the 5.56. You will only have an issue if you use a 5.56 PRS stock on a 308 due to the difference in length of the charging handle. I am 6'5" and have a 14 1/2" length of pull and I have my adjustible butt plate at max and it comes right at 14 1/2" Also my LR-308 has a bit higher of a rail and I use a 1 piece Warne Tactical Mount so I have my cheek piece raised and I have no issues with it interfereing with my charging handle. I hope this helps.

zebra308 - the issue is not weight....I actually prefer heavier kit as long as (a) it is well made (never had any problems with the Magpul stocks I have on that score) and (b) the rifle is balanced.

The issue in this case is the location of the cheekpiece in relation to the charging handle and also the eye relief for the scope I'm using.

IMHO there's no benefit to having an adjustable cheekpiece that is not in the right position to allow a firm cheekweld and the proper eye relief on the scope.

With the combo I'm running and the LOP I use, I just don't think the PRS is going to be able to do that....half my face will be in front of the adjustable cheekpiece if my mock up is anywhere near correct....so I'd be almost running more of an ear weld, than a cheekweld! (OK, so that may be a bit of an exaggeration!)

We're all different sizes and I'm not dissing the PRS or it's users
wink.gif

Ahh deffinately have to get proper eye relief and be comfortable. I dont think having your ear rubbed raw by a cheek piece aka "ear weild" counts as comfortable lol.