• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Suppressors KAC NT4, AAC M4-2000, or Surefire?

Johnny Sasaki

Minuteman
It's gonna be for a mk18 mod 1 build, so I'm kinda leaning towards the KAC, but I've seen a youtube video that shows it rattling when attached to the rifle, so I'm just wondering if I'm gonna be okay with that, or if it is even a common thing.

As I've stated in the title, I'm also considering the M4-2000, and the Surefire 5.56 can as well. Basically I'd like to know if any of you have used any one if the cans listed above, and if you would recommend one over the other.

As far as my price range goes, as long as it's not 2 grand, (which the surefire very well might be) I'm fine with it as long as it's a quality can.

Thank you in advance for your insight.

Re: KAC NT4, AAC M4-2000, or Surefire?

SF and dont look back. have a 5.56 and a 7.62 great product great customer service. not the only brand i own but my favorite.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JWP6114</div><div class="ubbcode-body">SF and dont look back. have a 5.56 and a 7.62 great product great customer service. not the only brand i own but my favorite. </div></div>

Surefire huh? What makes the SF better than the other two besides the customer service? Also, which one would you go for? They have a whole new line of SOCOM suppressors that are supposedly better, but I don't know if they actually are or not or which one of them is even the better choice for a mk18 mod 1.

EDIT: Okay, those new SOCOM suppressors look bad ass. Plus, apparently they are actually the ones on the mk18 now. I'm officially leaning towards that one now. (SOCOM556-RC) The mount looks like a tuning fork though. Just like my AAC SPR/M4. Not sure if I don't like that yet. Maybe I'm mistaken though.

0.jpg

The difference between the SF and the AAC's are minimal at best, and the KAC is a pig, meaning its heavy. Go play with them, touch them, feel them, shoot them if you can, you will then understand. You have pretty much hit the Chevy vs Ford arguement.

I have abused the hell out of my M4-2k, including a beta dump, and it has held up exceptionally well. I have had no issues with the 51 tooth mounting system either. I couldn't justify the additional price of the surefire, and have no regrets.

We make an M4 suppressor (M4SD-II) that competes in this class and provides alternate mount options like our flash comp.

Our cans are obtainable for better prices than all of the above.

In the first quarter they are getting a weight reduction from 18.8 ounces to 17.2. We're also making a 5.75", 14.5oz model for end of first quarter release.

459833_10151570853849569_272129400_o.jpg

I should be getting my SOCOM556 RC in a few weeks for a 14.5 carbine, I went with the brake because I can't stand my AAC ringing and wasn't going to take a chance with this one being annoying as well. Having the AAC mount cut off and a Battle Comp attached was the best thing I have ever done to that rifle.

I will give the Surefire a full torture test this spring at a Costa Ludus class.

I think it all depends on what you're trying to accomplish. Are you building a clone? Then the choice is already made for you (KAC NT4 currently, or Surefire SOCOM 556RC near future).

AAC makes a fine can, especially for the money. However, I somehow have never been bitten by the AAC bug. Lots of folks rave about them, but there are issues. While most AAC owners have never had a problem, there are plenty of people who have had trouble with their cans coming loose and getting an end-cap strike. This is why they went from the 18-tooth design, to the 51-tooth design, to the 91-tooth design. The mounts are not interchangeable, or backwards compatible.

The Surefire has the best mounting system, I think, especially when it comes to POI shift. The new design doesn't foul up the mount as much either. It is possible to mount the newer SOCOM can on the old mount and have it remain concentric to the bore, but rotationally it will not lock up like a dedicated mount. As posted above, if going on a SBR with the Surefire, I'd go with the brake. Not because I needed recoil reduction, but because the brake would act as the 1st baffle in the can, and can be replaced when worn away by the extra blast from the SBR.

The KAC is a war-horse. Literally. It's been around forever. Not the newest design or technology. It is tough, built like a tank, and it's heavy. But not by much though. Compared to the Surefire with mount, the KAC with mount is only about 4 oz more. The bore is slightly larger, so you should never have to worry about an end-cap strike. The can will not come loose unless you neglect to close the ring and leave the gate up. Yes, they are a little louder, mostly due the the larger bore. They tend to have a lower pitch tone to them, which some people find more pleasing.

So, in summary:
1. if money is the main concern, AAC is the best bang for the buck
2. if POI shift and latest edition for clone purposes is your thing, then look at the Surefire.
3. if you are after an accurate clone of current issue or past issue weapons, and durability is a major concern, then go with the KAC.

I went with the classic Mk18 mod 0 clone
smile.gif

dsc1566u.jpg

dsc1564i.jpg

Have only experienced shooing AAC cans and can say for the money its a tough company to beat

All 3 are high quality company's only company Id stray from is gemtech.. watch the aac video of them demoing their sdn6 can vs "comprable gemtech threw a military requirement test
. Gem tech fails miserably and gets called out on their full core, welding when infact its discovered at end of shoot that isn't the case and pile of baffles on table proves it

Alright guys, It's gonna be a few days since I'm able to make it to the gun store, so I still have some time to make my decision, but as it stands I think I'm leaning towards the Surefire with the KAC coming in a close second. I really like the idea of no baffle strikes though, but I could always go with the SOCOM556-SB which was designed for barrels shorter than 10 inches so it has a larger bore to allow for less baffle strikes, just like the KAC.

In reality, I'll probably end up getting the KAC down the line as well when I feel the itch to build a mod 0 clone. That is if I don't change my mind in the next few days.

Alright guys, It's gonna be a few days since I'm able to make it to the gun store, so I still have some time to make my decision, but as it stands I think I'm leaning towards the Surefire with the KAC coming in a close second. I really like the idea of no baffle strikes though, but I could always go with the SOCOM556-SB which was designed for barrels shorter than 10 inches so it has a larger bore to allow for less baffle strikes, just like the KAC.

In reality, I'll probably end up getting the KAC down the line as well when I feel the itch to build a mod 0 clone. That is if I don't change my mind in the next few days.

I'm a sniper in the special operations community and even though we have a contract with surefire for our suppressors. We still use AAC brakes and cans I hope this helps!

As far as my price range goes, as long as it's not 2 grand, (which the surefire very well might be) I'm fine with it as long as it's a quality can.

2 grand for a Surefire??? They are $ 949.00 from silencer shop.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Like many, I went AAC FOR THE MAJORITY of my cans. The KAC being heavier was not cool by me. I've not heard of many or any problems with AAC.

I suggest running a brake on any of the cans as it acts like an extra baffle protector. I have a MK18 build. Regardless of the can, try to verify the brake will allow enough room on the 10.3 barrel with DD RISII rail. It's real tight which is badass. I had to swop my AAC mounts to get the one that allowed the suppressor to thread on.

I've got a SOCOM556 and an AAC can. The mount on the surefire is rock solid and I love it. I've not had any real problems with the 51T mount from AAC but i like the surefire one better and it feels more solid. The performance difference on each is too minimal for me to notice.

AAC QD has been nothing but disastrous and I own - unfortunately - two of them. M4-1000 and SDN-6. They both fail, have both been back to the factory to be reworked (last time on the 7.62-SDN-6 they cut the ends off and replaced the QD mount), they BOTH work like long-range shotguns, POI shifts so much. They DID send a box of a dozen QD flash hiders to play with and I found ONE that almost works.
Even bought an AAC Evo-9 and IT sucks, comes loose over and over again. Came without gaskets (seriously), had to order some. They never returned my calls on this. Took months and a registered letter to get them to respond to the issues I was having with the QD mounts.

Customer service with AAC? IF you can get their attention it's pretty good, but for a product that expensive, you don't WANT to have to call them, do you? You'd think they'd have their shit together FIRST.

The thread-on AAC can I use the most (cyclone) is one of the best.

SRT shadow is arguably the quietest, I use it on a PSS.

YHM - I own two for 5.56 and am very satisfied with them.

I own one SF 5.56 socom and can't believe the difference. POI shift? nonexistent. Lockup? Solid. EZPZ. Have a 7.62 socom pending (any day now), went down a week after getting the 5.56 and submitted the form 4 on it. Wish I'd done that years ago.

I got all caught up in the cost/availability equation. AAC was pretty highly rated back when I was buying, and the price was right, and my local shop HAD them. That's a HUGE part of the problem in buying suppressors, is getting a shop to do the transfer for you on a can they don't sell when they have cans they WILL sell, or NOT charging you $200 for a fucking transfer when the ATF charges the same. Yeah, there are SOT shops that do that. "But lookee here at THIS fine line of suppressors, it's all we stock [this week]"

I'm not young, but certainly naive and, in the words of a SOT friend of mine "the NFA world is full of creeps and losers."

PT Barnum said "there's a sucker born every minute."

Buy the Surefire can, nearly everything else you'll regret.

My overall best can is my first, TL Guns "smidget" from around 1998. I've run C-mag dumps through it, probably in excess of ten thousand rounds total and it just works.

NT4 is built like a brick shithouse and has a good tone but it's heavy and the mounting system isn't great.
AAC is quietest but the mounting system isn't rock solid and they have more POI shift than some. Figure 1-3 minutes.
SF is most expensive but rock solid mounting and sub minute POI shift when installed properly on concentric threads.

NT4 is built like a brick shithouse and has a good tone but it's heavy and the mounting system isn't great.
AAC is quietest but the mounting system isn't rock solid and they have more POI shift than some. Figure 1-3 minutes.
SF is most expensive but rock solid mounting and sub minute POI shift when installed properly on concentric threads.
This is an excellent summary.
Sound: AAC > SF > KAC
Mount: SF > AAC > KAC
Weight: SF > AAC >>>>> KAC
POI shift: SF > AAC > KAC
Durability: KAC > AAC = Surefire

The only reason to buy a KAC any more is clone authenticity. They were good silencers in 1995. But they have never been substantially updated and are now outclassed in almost every way. They are durable as shit but even the AAC and SF can be fired on full auto until they are glowing hot so it's sort of moot.