• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

KAC SR-25 Smith

lrs50bmg

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 26, 2007
Orland Park, IL
www.orlandpt.com
I have a Mk11 complete kit, sans supressor. I also have a 1994 vintage SR-25 with a 24" Remington 5R barrel. This has the carbon fiber or polymer tube forend. I would like to replace the round tube with a railed forend. Can anyone suggest where I can order the correct parts, and a smith to install them properly?

Thanks!

Scott

A problem you'll encounter is this: The earlier SR-25 barrels of your vintage have a larger outside diameter than the inside diameter of the barrel nut used with the later KAC railed forends. This means metal will have to be removed from one or the other.

I've swapped out a few. Never again. King Kong could not over-tighten stuff like KAC does. And watch out for Rocksett on everything down to the gas tube roll pin on the Mk 11. You'll be soaking it in the tub for a week to soften that stuff up.

My suggestion would be to forgo the project entirely. Keep the SR-25 "as is" as a collector's item, which it surely will be some day.

If you insist, Marvin Pitts is your (only) man for this:

[email protected]

Last edited:
Marvin is who you want. If you need his # shoot me a PM. He has done numerious jobs for me and some of my friends. He does extremely good work and I cannot recommend him enough.

Thanks guys! I will talk to the above suggestions, and go from there..

Wes, I still have the Mk12 you built for me years ago, and it still shoots like a dream. It is also my son's favorite rifle!

Scott

aqa8eraz.jpg

Crappy pic- but here is a Mk11 clone I had Ayan- boltcarrier.com- do. He does remarkable work! While it didn't start as a legacy SR25, like yours, I'm confident he would do a tremendous job. This rifle started as a ER. Good luck!

John 15:13

I built a m110 replica out of an ER. Ayan at boltcarrier was a huge help. Several very reputable smiths all said they could assist and after receiving couldn't/wouldn't touch it. Mainly specialized tools and aluminum barrel nut with lots of locktite scared them off. Short of it, boltcarrier got it done and done right.

A problem you'll encounter is this: The earlier SR-25 barrels of your vintage have a larger outside diameter than the inside diameter of the barrel nut used with the later KAC railed forends. This means metal will have to be removed from one or the other.

I've swapped out a few. Never again. King Kong could not over-tighten stuff like KAC does. And watch out for Rocksett on everything down to the gas tube roll pin on the Mk 11. You'll be soaking it in the tub for a week to soften that stuff up.

My suggestion would be to forgo the project entirely. Keep the SR-25 "as is" as a collector's item, which it surely will be some day.

If you insist, Marvin Pitts is your (only) man for this:

[email protected]

I've done this before and it just requires opening up the ID of the barrel retaining nut on a lathe.

I've run into the large OD barrel issue. It isn't difficult to reduce the ID Of the barrel retaining nut on a lathe:

tm-pr-004.jpeg

Still -- I typically recommend that people leave classic guns like this alone.

Last edited: