• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Gunsmithing KAC style Barrel Dimpling

ChrisNCT

A Connecticut Shooter
Minuteman
Jul 14, 2009
Naugatuck, CT USA
I setup the 20" BCM 1x8 5.56 barrel for dimpling in my mill.

Its in the oven right now curing the Moly Resin. Final pics to follow.

Heres the setup and in process......

2012-12-27174439.jpg

2012-12-28144652.jpg

2012-12-28150606.jpg

2012-12-28150540.jpg

2012-12-28160345.jpg

2012-12-28160333.jpg

2012-12-28162601.jpg

2012-12-28162605.jpg

2012-12-28162612.jpg

Re: KAC style Barrel Dimpling

Did you weigh the barrel before and after ball milling?

It would be great to know how much weight is saved (if any) compared to more conventional fluting.

Very nice work. Makes my arm tired just thinking of doing that by hand.
laugh.gif

Regards,
Paul

Nope, I didnt weigh it. not really important. I am not carrying it around and nothing is heavier than my AR50 I had.

Fluting the entire barrel would most likely be better in the weight reduction.

Not worried about the marks from the ball endmil. Down feeding with a ball is hard enough on steel. This is a stainless barrel. Its a bit harder even with a M42 Cobalt.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bolt fluter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Very nice work. Makes my arm tired just thinking of doing that by hand.
laugh.gif

Regards,
Paul</div></div>

Amen to that!!

I had Weapon Outfitters do man and according to them ~1.25lbs off the weight- this was on a WOA SPR barrel and looks like they may have went lil deeper. My barrel has same machine marks, it's no big deal! Work looks amazing man and hope that mount is what you had in mind!!

Have you shot it for groups yet? I've always thought that fluting without proper stress relief after the fact will cause the barrel to wander as it heats up.

That's pretty sweet, think im going to steal a pic and set it aside for a future build.

Awesome job, man - looks great!

Can someone please help me out. I need Marvin Pitts's contact information? Please send me a PM. Appreciate it!