• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles K624i

270Win

Private
Minuteman
Nov 27, 2011
Does any one here have experience with the Kahles K624i... How does it compare with the NF Beast, S&B PMii

There is a gen1 and a gen2, if you get one, make sure it is gen2. You can determine which it is by detents or lack thereof on the parallax adjustment. Gen1 has detents at the yardage markers, gen2 does not. There are SIGNIFICANT differences in the optics, but that is the best way to tell. I have not seen or run a beast, but it compares quite well to the S&B, doesn't get down to 10 yards like the S&B, but I don't take many 10 yard shots.

Not sure about the detents being removed on the parallax. But the gen2 was to have improved glass and they increased the size of the mag ring knob.
Gen2 scopes also came with 2 new reticle options... AMR and MSR/k

Kahles K624i

Early gen 2s have the detents as well. It's not a gen 1 specific feature.

Last edited:
The early Gen2 scopes do in fact have the detents on the parallax and also have a much stiffer parallax. The current batch of Gen2 scopes that have been produced since about Aprilish? have no detents on the parallax and are much easier to turn. The diopter adjustment was stiffened up a bit on the latest batch as well to make it a little more difficult to inadvertently change your settings. I've been testing/running the k624 since last November and have one of the current production models on my comp gun. The glass is really good, the FOV is great, the tracking is spot on, and the weight is right. I anticipate there are going to be some great new features/reticles added to this scope as they get more feedback from users. I have no problems recommending this scope to others.

how does the kahles do in the mechanical dept... tracking, holding zero, etc

They do very well. The turrets are very tactile and easy to read, the parallax is in a very handy spot, the coating on the tube is crazy tough, and I've not a had a zero issue yet. Love mine and all the ones I have used.

how does the kahles do in the mechanical dept... tracking, holding zero, etc

I've ran mine hard at the NorCal TBRC and the SilencerCo Quiet Riot PRS matches and have not had any mechanical issues. The turrets have pretty tight spacing, but they're very tactile and easy to get dialed where you want them unlike some of the MTC turrets. I purposely did a lot of dialing back and forth at the last match just to test that feature of the scope and it definitely worked well.

I laid a 624 and a new BEAST side by side yesterday and spent some time comparing them. Out of the gate I did not like the eye box on the beast, very sensitive and eye relief is considerably shorter than the kahles which on the other hand was very forgiving and heads above the beast in the eye box and eye relief. Glass on both of them is great, seemed like the 624 might pull the colors out a bit more but it was hard to tell much difference. I like the fact the beast has a little more elevation travel than the 624 but not a deal breaker. I will shoot with both of these here in a couple of weeks and will be able to tell more about them at that time but initial impression was I liked the 624 over the beast and will be passing the beast on to someone else based solely on the poor eye box and eye relief, there is so much difference that it is a deal breaker.

Screw the Beast. I personally saw one fail. I wouldn't own a Beast. S&B's were top of the line but lately have had a lot of people selling theirs off due to various issues.

Yes, I shoot a Kahles, but I could have bought any scope. I picked a Kahles because of the quality and total package. I don't see anything touching it.

I have had S&B scopes and absolutely love them, really like all of my NF Scopes I have had and wanted to try something different so that is why I bought the beast and the 624 at the same time to compare, I as well could have any scope I would like and I will be keeping the 624. This is just personal preference and everyone has their own opinions and it is hard to go wrong with any of the new optics but I am very impressed with the 624, it is what I will predominately be shooting for a while.

I got my new Kahles, I'll let you know in the future. But so far I really like it!

I have a 624i Gen 2 as well as Steiner 5-25, bushnell Tactical 3.5-21 (2 of them) as well as a nightforce NXS 5-22x56mm and a Super Sniper 5-20. So all I can do is compare those to each other. I really like the MSR reticle esp those with the gen 2 version like in the 624i. To me the floating dot in the center on the Khales makes it great for target shooting and the other ranging features on it make it great for that purpose. I have spent a few hours comparing the optics and to me the Khales in is the same ballpark as my SFP night force which is very very good. In my experience SFP tends to have sharper glass but I am not an expert enough to know why. The parallax adjustment on top is really nice and the long adjustable reticle lightning is nice too. The turrets on the Steiner MSR are prob my absolute favorites of all because of their ease to zero and the pop up makes it so easy to know if you are beyond one turn. Plus they have a huge amount of travel in a turn. I think its 14-15 mils.

The Kahles also has 14-15 mils I think but instead of popping up the whole turret it pops up the red button which is also easy to see and very nice. The bushy has locking turrets but only 5-10 mils depending on which version you have. The night force has more mils but no locks. My Nightforce has a MLR reticle which is very clean but not nearly as functional as the MSR or MSR 2 for ranging.

For my scopes the Kahles may be the best all around package of any of them. Glass is really sharp, great turrets, nice reticle (I hate the reticle in the SS HD Mil quad it was the worst of this group) The Kahles is built like a tank as is the Steiner. It literally feels as if you could take it off and kill a wild puma if needed. I am very happy with it and would not hesitate to suggest it to anyone. The turrets have a great feel too. The only thing odd about the Kahles is that it comes in a tiny little box wrapped only in a lot of tissue paper and the box does not suggest a $3000 scope. Unlike the Steiner that comes in a nice big box with foam inserts etc etc more typical of Nightforce etc.

Dittos on MMAJunkie's comments on the Kahles. I've had mine with the AMR reticle since late April (no parallax detents), and couldn't be happier. Have compared it to my Bushnell 3.5-21x50 GZA, and feel that it addresses every single thing I'd have changed on the Bushy to suit my tastes & needs. Also did a side-by-side comparison with a friend's new NF BEAST, and we both felt the optical clarity was very close on both. Have my K624i AMR mounted on a custom M700 in 6x47 Lapua, and have found that it tracks with exceptional accuracy & repeatability, and the more I shoot behind it, the more I like it.

Only issue I have is needing my bifocals to read the dials to confirm the clicks, but hey - I'm 62. Need to look around and find a set of slap-on magnifying patch lenses for my Decot Hi-Wyde shooting glasses.

Sounds like the kahles k624i is definitely a tier I scope and at a good price point....

I just want to point out that this gen 1 business is only an issue if you are buying used, this transition happened a long time ago so there is no fear of getting one from a dealer.

Here is a picture of what the reticle looks like on a caribou right at 1 mile. Picture is not at all representative of actual scope view, I will also attach one of what the Beast was like. Fog was rolling in and out but gives a guy a little idea of what the reticles are like. One can hold an earhole shot with either of them at 1 mile but I prefered the MSR over the MOAR, BEAST was a little bit brighter and crisper but not by much, still not impressed with the eye box on the beast but overall is very nice. Like I said picture is not representative of actual scope view.

Last edited:
I haven't handled a BEAST but if the eye relief is crap then why aren't the NF engineers correcting the problem before releasing the scope?

I will gladly work for product to field test NF, S&B, or Kahles etc prototypes.. references are available upon request....

Last edited:
Here is a picture of what the reticle looks like on a caribou right at 1 mile. Picture is not at all representative of actual scope view, I will also attach one of what the Beast was like. Fog was rolling in and out but gives a guy a little idea of what the reticles are like. One can hold an earhole shot with either of them at 1 mile but I prefered the MSR over the MOAR, BEAST was a little bit brighter and crisper but not by much, still not impressed with the eye box on the beast but overall is very nice. Like I said picture is not representative of actual scope view.

petesp, the scopes are in the same magnification?

Thank you

I have a Kahles K624i on my M700 (.300 Win Mag), absolutely LOVE IT. Amazing glass, beautiful FOV, tracks beautifully, large eye box, really super pleased with it.

Yes both same power settings, I think the difference in pictures is from the amount I cropped and enlarger. Most of the observation through the two has shown the beast with what it seems like a larger magnification than the 624 on the same power setting. The beast seems to be running about 1x larger than the 624 on same power setting.

Last edited:
The only thing odd about the Kahles is that it comes in a tiny little box wrapped only in a lot of tissue paper and the box does not suggest a $3000 scope. Unlike the Steiner that comes in a nice big box with foam inserts etc etc more typical of Nightforce etc.

I thought the same thing about the Kahles, then realized if that is the worst one can say of it, that's pretty freak'in great.

Thank petesp, if i not make wrong the mixed, i think the kahles has a greater real magnification power.

mixed.jpg

I thought the same thing about the Kahles, then realized if that is the worst one can say of it, that's pretty freak'in great.

Very True. I put mine through the paces again this weekend in the heat on a 338 Lapua and I just can't find much to gripe about other than the box. I LOVE the parallax adjustment on top. Why doesn't everyone do that. I shoot lefty and keep my left hand on the rifle and normally I have to reach across the scope (not a reach around mind you) to access the adjuster. With it on top its so easy for either hand to access. Great glass, great turrets, great reticle, I have 17 mils left after zero great tracking. etc

I used mine to shoot out to 1690 yards, and it did just great. I have spun the crap out of the turrets and have no issues with it returning to zero, or holding zero. The MSR-K is one of my favorite reticles. They really hit the nail on the head with that one.

[video=youtube_share;-3Fg3yPKnzs]http://youtu.be/-3Fg3yPKnzs[/video]

how is Kahle's customer service.... that is another part of the decision

Mike at CS Tactical's customer service is great as he is an extension of Kahles. He got me all setup with one and it's been a great scope. If you need one or have questions give Mike a ring. He'll definitely take care of you.

I absolutely love my 624i with msr-k reticle. The parallax knob seems a little odd but once you use it it becomes Second nature and actually makes sense. As far as ruggedness I haven't had any trouble but haven't been hard on it. Seems well built

how rugged is this Kahles scope?
They are pretty damn rugged if you ask me. The turrets are very stiff like you would find on a Nightforce. I have ran the turrets up & down quite a bit in the last 6 months that I have been using one and the tracking has been dead on with every tall target test I have done. Mine is on a matte rifle and I have not been nice to it that all. It has quite a few cosmetic scuffs on it but a damp cloth and a few minutes of wiping it down and you would never even know they were there. The coating on them is truly amazing. I watched Ken Pratt who was / is the US importer take a quarter and scratch that shit out of one until the point that the quarter had a flat spot in it. He then just licked his finger and rubbed all traces of scratches or scuffs on off in a matter of seconds. So far that has been my experience as well. Just use a damp cloth and you can make it look basically brand new in a few minutes.

Last edited:
if any of you kahles owners please give my thread a look at and give me your opinion ..i have a gen 2 i can tell by the second gen msr reticle and i have significant purple hazing going on ..keen to hear how it compares to your kahles ...i have posted high res pics along with a description of what im seeing in my k624i ...cheers

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...msr-gen-ii-purple-hazing-photos-opinions.html