• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kahles/Photonic ZF95 6x42 question

enichols

Private
Minuteman
Nov 18, 2010
Southern CA
Hey guys,
Do any of you have experience with this optic:
https://www.mayerantiques.com/product/kahles-zf95-6x42-rifle-scope-with-m14-mount/?v=7516fd43adaa

I have been looking to buy another Kahles or Swarovski ZF series scope (ZF69, ZF84, or ZF95) with the rangefinding reticle and BDC turrets, but I have been unable to locate one. I found the above optic, but am hesitant to buy it for a couple of reasons. First, since it is not labeled "Kahles" or "Swarovski", neither of those companies will work on it if there is an issue. Secondly, I don't know whether these Photonic optics are of the same quality and ruggedness/durability as the original Kahles/Swaro ZF optics.

What are your thoughts on this? I'm looking to bounce this optic between an HK SR9 and M14 clone. Have any of you who own these IDF scopes had any problems with them failing? I just really want to avoid having any problems with it that I can't have fixed down the line.
Thanks,
Nic

Last edited:
They are good scopes, same quality as Kahles. The company/importer name was likely changed to Photonics perhaps due to geopolitical reasons since the IDF is Israel's military. I can't recall where I read this, but there might have been something about import restrictions into Israel?. I think the IDF updated their M14 Nimrod 6x scopes to the 6x Photonics in 1996. Any servicing would probably have to be a third party optic repair shop. They are good scopes, but a military optic that is 20+ years old may not be perfect unless refurbished after de-commissioning.

Glass is usually very good, and they usually have an M14 BDC turret. Downside is the tube is the old European standard 26mm diameter, too large for 1" rings; the IDF mount is really high, and requires a stock with a 2" cheek riser. See examples of IDF M14 sniper stock and their huge cheekrest. I sold my 6x42 scope to a buddy and I ended up buying an ZF95 (10x w/ Mil-Dot reticle) to use on an SSG-69 one day. (last pic)

Attachments

• nimrod-scope-cross-hairs_v2.jpg
    nimrod-scope-cross-hairs_v2.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 190
  • IDF_6x_M14_scope_dial.jpg
    IDF_6x_M14_scope_dial.jpg
    154.1 KB · Views: 289
  • IDF-M14_7.jpg
    IDF-M14_7.jpg
    43.9 KB · Views: 185
  • IDF_M14_stock_right.jpg
    IDF_M14_stock_right.jpg
    15.4 KB · Views: 216
  • Kahles ZF95 scope2.jpg
    Kahles ZF95 scope2.jpg
    92.7 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:
Photonics is a subdivision of Kahles. They don't work on them because they are old: 25+ years.
They are identical to the ZF95, and are good German glass.
PM sent.

Reactions: ZG47A
The link in the beginning of this thread is to my website. Since these rifle scopes are no longer produced, the manufacturer does not provide any service to them. They are Israeli military surplus optics and they are all in very good to excellent condition. The glass on all of them is excellent. Ask any expert on this subject and they will tell you that they have one of the clearest glass in the field. No M14 mounts are left or additional accessories.

Hi sir: thank you for showing up and giving us a link to your site and wares.

I spent a few minutes browsing your website and you’ve got some really neat stuff up there. A couple of those bronzes are very nice. And I sent some of the Japanese art plate links to a buddy of mine who loves that stuff.

So thanks for showing up. If you wanted to get a supporter account which doesn’t cost a lot and list some of your things in the PX I know you would find homes for a lot of cool stuff.

Have an awesome day and thanks again for joining our little club of vintage enthusiast here.

Cheers, Sirhr

Hi sir: thank you for showing up and giving us a link to your site and wares.

I spent a few minutes browsing your website and you’ve got some really neat stuff up there. A couple of those bronzes are very nice. And I sent some of the Japanese art plate links to a buddy of mine who loves that stuff.

So thanks for showing up. If you wanted to get a supporter account which doesn’t cost a lot and list some of your things in the PX I know you would find homes for a lot of cool stuff.

Have an awesome day and thanks again for joining our little club of vintage enthusiast here.

Cheers, Sirhr
He is in Israel. That might be harder.

Either way @MayerAntiques you have some cool stuff.

Reactions: sirhrmechanic