• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles SKMR vs. SKMR3 reticles

cashewnut

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2018
Kahles' newer scopes like the K525i and K624i have the option of either the SKMR or SKMR3 reticles (and others, but I am only interested in these).

Curious which you all prefer and why?

skmr.jpg

SKMR3.jpg

Last edited:
We sell more SKMR3's over the SKMR since a Christmas Tree type tends to be more popular, and its' not so busy that it's in the way like some other Tree type. The SKMR is still very popular for people who do not prefer a tree, we'd be happy to help you decide as we have both options in stock for a K624i :cool:

What type of shooting are you looking for this reticle to accommodate? If you prefer a less cluttered view and plan to dial elevation for every shot then the SKMR will serve you just fine; however, if you ever think you might use the reticle for holdover then the SKMR3 will definitely help.

Of all the unsolicited orders we recieve, the SKMR3 is by far the front runner. Even when customers call and we have the chance to present the differences the SKMR3 is still the leader.

Having marks to hold off of vs having to hold in space I find is easier. Once you get behind the reticle and spend time with it, it doesn't seem "cluttered" IMHO. I used to be anti tree style reticle and a big fan of the H2CMR style. After shooting with it and spending time with them I much rather a tree style reticle.

That being said I do really like the SKMR layout with the .2 mil spacing for wind holds/movers if you are looking for a less intelligent reticle.

I do not like a Christmas tree reticle. I have the SKMR in my K624i. It is my favorite reticle I have ever owned. My opinion.

I'm a big fan of the Christmas Tree, helps me to spot everyone else and makes shooting easy. I hardly dial anymore.
I'm excited to get behind the SKMR3 coming from your H59

Trees are great when you have time pressure - you have the option to not twist any turrets. At long range with mild recoil cartridges like 6.5CM, you can get back on target after a shot and use the tree to measure your miss splash. If you shoot extreme long range and dial up all of your elevation, you may need to hold some remainder of elevation in your reticle - and a tree lets you still hold for wind. But some folks find them cluttered. YMMV, lots of reasonable people have different reticle preferences.

You can hold for wind and elevation with the SKMR3, which you can't with the SKMR. If you're going to dial your wind and elevation, then maybe the SKMR is a better choice. I use mine (K624i SKMR3) for PRS shooting.

Skmr3 is the cleanest least obtrusive tree I have seen... Now just gotta save the $$$ to get one

Reactions: CSTactical
I completely love my skmr3. All the other tree styles are way cluttered!
Funny, I actually find the SKMR3 pretty cluttered, I do not like the solid tree lines and much prefer the tree dots like the Minox MR4, TT Gen 3XR, Nightforce Mil-XT, Vortex EBR-7B et al. My new favorite is the March FML-TR1 designed by ILya, didn't think I'd like it at first but having used it, I have grown very fond of the design.