• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles vs. Mark 6 (specifically, 1-6's)

JWG

Private
Minuteman
May 6, 2017
Which one seems to be holding up better/having the least issues/is the most durably constructed?

Not impressed with the leupold 1-6. Glass quality is ok, not great, the red dot is sensitive to any head movement, buttons are mushy. The khales 1-6 has much better glass, and no issues with the illumination.
reticle wise you'll have more complicated holdovers than the khales. The khales reticles are much simpler.

overall, I just don't think the leupold is in the same league as the khales, yet prices are about the same

Both are great choices.

For me both of those scopes check my most important boxes. Light, great glass, good I box, good from 50 yards to 600+ yards. I have used both of them a lot. I still use the Leupold’s a lot.

The Khales 1-6 with the SM1 reticle was my first tactical shorter range scope. I loved it so much I bought two more. So now I have 3 of the 1-6 Khales'. 1 SM1 and 2 SI1 reticles. The SM1 has only lines the SI1 has inverted V’s. The V’s make it easier to find your holdovers. These are great scopes.

I’m always looking for something better so I tried a Leupold Mark 6 1-6 with the BDC scope for the .556. I love this scope. I took both the Khales and the Leupold to the NSSF fantasy camp. I used the Leupold exclusively it worked great. I also love the fact that it is a FF plane scope and I love the BDC reticle (personal choice I know) which is great for tactical engagement on the .556 out to 600 yards and on my 308 out to 800 yards. It is now my favorite scope. I bought 5 more and now have 2 of each reticle type. The Leupold Mark 6 1-6 checks all my boxes.

Both the Khales’ and the Leupolds have held up great and neither one has had any problems. I dropped one of the Leupolds 3 feet onto concrete. Zero held and no problems at all. Blessings

I’d love to find something better though. Must be light. Maybe a red dot in the second focal plane with the BDC reticle in the first focal plane.

Last edited:
New owner of the Kahles 1-6x here. I've owned a lot of low-powered optics, but never the 1-6x MK6 so I can't compare the two. I did own the 3-18x44mm MK6 and wasn't impressed at all. I too think the MK6 line may be a bit overpriced and underwhelming.

As for the Kahles, my first comment to people is that it is the closest thing to low-powered optical perfection I have owned to date. First and foremost is the amazing field-of-view at 1x. It's like popping on a VR helmet. I haven't lost ANY speed when compared to my Aimpoints, and I always did before. I feel like I can't say enough about this. It's a feature you can't read about. You just have to experience it.

I would also argue SFP is actually an advantage in this magnification range. The reticle stays HUGE at 1x, and makes seeing it very easy to find during fast shooting or complicated target backgrounds. This is important because battery-life on all these scopes completely sucks when compared to most red dots. A huge reticle at 1x helps eliminate he need for illumination. I don't want to depend on illumination is what I'm saying, and I don't have to with this scope. I chose the SM-1 reticle. And I also don't mind using my hold-overs at only 6x because if the target is far enough away to require a hold-over, I'm most likely going to be at 6x anyway!

Glass quality is impeccable of course.

I don't have much of a track-record on durability yet, as I just got it a short while ago. I will say though that durability was an initial concern of mine when shopping. It was one of the reasons I bought the Kahles. It is my understanding that Kahles concentrates more on the mil/LEO crowd, so durability is always a focus in their designs. I hope I'm not disappointed, but I don't expect to be.

Last but not last, the silky-smooth magnification ring and built-in cat-tail are very nice touches.

Now can you understand why I'm calling it the closest thing to optical perfection? :)

Buy the Kahles, and buy with confidence.

I have the same complaint as Tonsofguns on the red dot on my Leupold Mk 6 1-6X. I also don't like the locking turret buttons. I wouldn't buy one again.

+1 on the Kahles K16i with the SM1 reticle. Although a good optic, I'm not sure the Leupold is in the same league. The FOV on the Kahles is spectacular.

Agree on the Kahles K16i. Went from Aimpoint T-1 to Kahles K16i and have never looked back. The glass is phenomenal and it's a true 1x with a spectacular FOV (as stated above). At 6x, I've shot targets out to 400 yards with no problem.

How does the Razor HD Gen 2 1-6x stack up against these two? I was initially leaning toward the Mk6, but I have a CQBSS, and heard the Mk6 has the same issue with the illumination flickering if you’re not lined up perfectly. Then I read a bunch about the Vortex and it sounds damn near perfect, but I can’t get over the weight. Never had a chance to try the Kahles.

Any other 1-6x options I should consider?

After extensively checking out both optics, I wouldn't even consider the Kahles. Why:

Kahles Pros:
--Glass
--FOV
--Eyebox
--SFP
--30mm (weight)

Kahles Cons:
--Capped turrets
--Shitty Reticles
--Horrible Warranty (you break it, you fix it and pay $$$)
--SFP
--30mm tube(travel, transmission)

Leupold Pro's:
--Awesome locking turrets with BDC (take BDC's with a grain of salt of course)
--Incredible reticle options
--FFP
--Bombproof by design
-Great warranty (you break it--they fix it or replace it. You pay 0$.
--Made in America
--34mm tube

Leupold Cons:
--*Sometimes* picky 1x dot ilumination
--34mm tube (weight)
--FFP (1x reticle size)

Final decision: Mk6 without a doubt.

Looked through both. If I didn't need an exposed target turret, I would go with the kahles. If I did need the target turret, I would look at the vortex, Steiner, or any of the 1-8 offerings. Was not impressed at all by the mark 6.

If I could pick any 1-6 regardless of price it would be either from Kahles or Swarovski, I'm just split between the reticle selections :cool: If anyone needs assistance on choosing one, please feel free to call us at 916.670.1103

1-6x scopes, Kahles or Swarovski.

1-8x, Swarovski Z8i,

( IPSC competing on an international level with the Kahles for several years, G 4B reticle, now using the Z8i with the BRT-I reticle )

1-6x scopes, Kahles or Swarovski.

1-8x, Swarovski Z8i,

( IPSC competing on an international level with the Kahles for several years, G 4B reticle, now using the Z8i with the BRT-I reticle )

The Swarovski Z8i 1-8 with the BFT-I reticle is a very impressive LPV! Give us a call at 916.670.1103 for hide pricing on this one :cool:

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/scontent.fsnc1-1.fna.fbcdn.net\/v\/t1.0-9\/22519228_1754348444607661_3306729599127794337_n.jpg?oh=5d4bd69f24ac7b787bb94c8b8bed660c&oe=5A7276F0"}[/IMG2]

If you look at the OP's post in regards to "least issues/best durability" record you'd be foolish to think that any kahles optic can take the beating of a g2razor/mk6/nxs1-4/vcog1-6.

I can tell you as far as the SOCOM community goes the Vortex Razor 1-6 has been cleaning house on all the evals that they have done at Range 37 and CRANE. Not that you should get one because tier one operators are running them, but the evals are legit. Yes, it is heavier, but I'd bet alot of money they are more durable than the other two scopes you have asked about. The Razor definitely has the better and brighter illumination out of the three. The Kahles and Razor have much wider FOV than the leupy.

Ive run all of them and the Razor is definitely my favorite. The Kahles has a slightly wider field of view on 1x (a foot or two at 100yds, I physically measured on the range), but the Razor scope just disappears when you are running it(Think hendsoldt 4-16 eyebox then multiply by 10, its that impressive). The Kahles illumination washed out in really bright conditions while the Razor didnt. I wont go into the problems with the leupy illum as it has already been addressed in this thread.

Whether you go with the Kahles or Razor you will be happy. Unless the Kahles illum is not bright enough for you.

If you look at the OP's post in regards to "least issues/best durability" record you'd be foolish to think that any kahles optic can take the beating of a g2razor/mk6/nxs1-4/vcog1-6.

I would agree with this. Kahles and Swarovski definitely are not known for extreme durability.
The Gen 2 Razor has been proving itself on one of our countries most elite forces HK416's,240's, and 249's for 3-4 years now and all of "those guys" I talk to absolutely love them.