• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Kahles ZF 84 question for the guys that know.

nsginc

Private
Minuteman
Mar 11, 2010
I have the chance to get a package deal that would include a Kahles ZF 84 6x42. I know nothing about this scope. Not much out there on the Internet about it. It does have the 103 retical. Any infomation good or bad would really help. Thanks

Re: Kahles ZF 84 question for the guys that know.

Very nice military grade scope.

STEEL tube, 1-inch
Non-centered reticle (mine has the No.22 reticle- don't know what the 103 is)
Excellent optics
BDC for M118 in hundereds of meters to 800 meters
Windage +/- 18 cm/100m

I could do without the metric garbage, but the scope itself is very well built IMO.

what 10Xview says.
Only 'problem' is the non-centered reticle, so you will need adjustable mounts, otherwise you might end up with the reticle off to one side as instead of in the center of the scope.

I beleive the Kahles ZF92 scopes were permanently centered no matter how much adjustment you dialled in.

Good scope, solid made to take a beating. The BDC cam should have a two or three character's/letters on the side. If it doesn't, then it's a cam for the 7.62x51 NATO bullet (i.e. 145 to 150-gr FMJ), if it is labeled "MH", then it's for the Hirtenberger Match 168-gr bullet, and very close to the 168-gr SMK ballistics. Those are the two I have on my ZF-95's which have centered reticles. I also have a cam for 5.56x45 62-gr, but I can't remember what it's labeled? If you didn't get the manual with your scope, I can photo copy mine for you which is a combo ZF-84/95 manual. It's nothing fancy, just three folded pages with spec.s, and how to adjust the turrets.

I had a ZF-95 6x42 with MilDot, but sold it. I also had a Swarovski labeled ZF-84 6x42 with STANAG mounts on an HK91 years ago. Now I just have the ZF-95 10x42 models, with one having Target Turrets (1/4 moa) and MilDot reticle. It's mounted on my 5R/308, and I use it out to 1000-yards almost every weekend. Great scopes!

Any idea why Kahles had an off center retical? I think of any good reason. Also who would have 26mm scope rings for a Remington 700?

they have a reticle moving scope not image moving like most scopes it is a bombproof way of making the scopes but you see the cross hair move inside the tube. it can put some people off but they are bomb proof i have one on my SSG P II it is a ZF84 10X42 awsome bomb proof scope. Be aware of the BDC cams as already mentioned some were also set up for 190gr Match aswell mine is set up for the 168 hertenberg but it matches handloaded 175gr MatchKings well when loaded to the right velocity.

It could also be an israeli contract scope - photonic, another brand I can't remember both not around anymore. IIRC if it says "kahles" on it you're GTG. I have one of the Photonic ones it says zf 84 and is a 6x with BDC cam - got it at a yard sale for 20$ thinking it was a real Kahles but it wasn't. When you examine it look for a colored in radiation symbol, the photonic ones had it near the eyepiece they were tritium illuminated.

I think this is the real deal. Kahles marks and it has the box with papers. Also is the retical offset or just looks that way? Thanks everyone for your input.

I think this is the real deal. Kahles marks and it has the box with papers. Also is the retical offset or just looks that way? Thanks everyone for your input.
The rectle is not centered.

Sent from my ASUS Chromebook Flip C302 using Tapatalk

I've had one on my 1968 Browning Safari 7mm Mag for years. Just came back from a deer hunt where it performed flawlessly. This scope/gun combination is my favorite and has accounted for many a deer. I call it my one shot wonder! Once I got it sighted in at the correct yardage, all I do is spin the turret to the correct yardage. The cams are for a 168 grain Hertenberger so I shoot 170 bullets and aim low. Works everytime! :D

Attachments

• photo80403.jpg
    photo80403.jpg
    111.9 KB · Views: 50

Any idea why Kahles had an off center retical? I think of any good reason. Also who would have 26mm scope rings for a Remington 700?

Redfield made 26mm std rings. These are perfect for centering vindage. Then only elevation is off center. My only huntingrifle for many years in the 70'ies and early 80'ies was a Rem700 BDL varmint in 308 topped with a ZF69. When I bought the rifle I first tried a Redfield 3-9x40 to make a "Vietnam sniper copy". However, after shoting a SSG69/Zf69 side by side the Redfield were quickly replaced. I have never stopped wondering why the ZF69 was not std issue on the M40 and M40A1. I even had Redfield 4 sqrew 26mm low rings on mine for a perfect fit.

EAW make 26mm rings for leupold/Redfield std bases. They are expensive..

Last edited:
They are awesome , tough old scopes. I have shot bowling pins at 1000 with one on a ssg 69 308, not bad for a 6x on an old school rifle! Super clear glass, unfortunately the reticle is bigger than a pin so you have to dial a little wind in and bracket the pin in a quadrent of the reticle. A little (lot) ghetto but you can scibe a mark(s) on the outside of the cam if it doesn't match up, i know the rig i mentioned above has a user made mark for 175 smk at 1000 @ its home range...