• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Kahr Question - PM9 Safety

TheLlam

Private
Minuteman
Jun 2, 2012
Earth
Does anyone have any experience with the Kahr PM9 with an external safety?
http://www.kahr.com/Pistols/Kahr-PM9-w-External-Safety-and-LCI.asp

I stumbled upon this last night and noticed the safety-- it operates opposite that of a 1911 styles thumb safety. The safe position is down and the fire position is up. Having never handled this firearm, or one like it where the safety operates in this manner, I would imagine that if I was carrying it and had to draw, the configuration would be suboptimal.

Hoping to hear your thoughts.

Re: Kahr Question - PM9 Safety

Fuck that.

My EDC is a PM9, and I love it. It does NOT need an external safety for any reason other than being CA or MA saleable. Run away!

The regular DAO trigger is very safe. Probably doesn't "need" to be in a holster, but should be - as all loaded pistols should.

Kahr's non-safety DAO is what makes it simple and great. I have a PM9, TP9 and a K9...they are great. I personally would never consider a safety on a Kahr.

This model was created specifically for MA market (possibly CA as well). Don't bother with it. The gun is good to go without any safeties.

I don't think I'd like that type of external safety. I carry a CM9 everyday and for me I dont feel the need for a safety.

I'm another PM9 owner who is happy without the safety and doesn't feel like it needs one. I think the post about the safety being for marketing in communist states is dead on. I've handled a safety'd model and didn't like it.

Is the 'I don't think it needs a safety' camp saying that this gun, the Kahr in particular, does not need a safety, or that a thumb safety on a CCW/any handgun isn't needed at all?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheLlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the 'I don't think it needs a safety' camp saying that this gun, the Kahr in particular, does not need a safety, or that a thumb safety on a CCW/any handgun isn't needed at all? </div></div>

The Kahr needs an external safety the same way a revolver needs one!

It has a long, smooth, not light (but not overly heavy, either) trigger.

Do CCW handguns need an external safety in general? My opinion is yes, if it is single action. Does a 1911 need one? YES! A Glock? No. An M&P? Tough call. I'd say no, but it could go either way.

I have a PM9 and have handled the P9 with safety... I have to say, it is one of the worst located and thought out safeties I've see. It is impossible to get to without making a considerable shift in the position of the pistol. I would call it a detriment to putting the weapon into action.

Skip the safety.

Got a P9 without safety, totally the way to go. The way the trigger pulls there is really no reason for additional safety.

As I mentioned, the safety was added specifically for the gun to be compliant with MA regulations.
Personally, I don't like safeties, unless it's something like a 1911.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheLlam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the 'I don't think it needs a safety' camp saying that this gun, the Kahr in particular, does not need a safety, or that a thumb safety on a CCW/any handgun isn't needed at all? </div></div>

I have a PM9 without an external safety. In a good holster, that is the way to go.