• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kamikoto Chef Knives

bkglock

Field Marshal
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2002
USA
Looking at buying some high quality knives and came across this place. kamikoto.com
Specifically looking at the Kuro Series.

Does anyone have experience with Kamikoto? Also looking for any advice on other brands. I've always appreciated good knives and think it's time to get some for the kitchen.

They look like nice blades.

The ultimate test is

'Will it cut off Bigfatcock's Bigfatcock in one chop?'

KuroBox_740x.jpg
This is what I'm looking at

Reactions: acudaowner
I do not know anything about those knives, and we do live in a time when we can hope to find nice sales. But if something is truly priced and selling for $998 why would they have to lower the price to $298 to sell all they can make. While there are nice pictures on the website for the "sale" prices listed you could be getting better known brands. Look at Cuttco, that is what I have and I love them, though they are a bit over priced. If you have a preference for Japanese then consider Shun.

https://www.cutco.com/products/thumbnail.jsp?shop=knife-sets&ref=hp

I'm sure there are other brands as good as either of these, and like I said I know nothing about Kaikomo but to me the website has "scam indicators"

Reactions: bkglock
Before I would buy one of them I would spend a long time wondering why the website carefully tells me that the knives are made from Japanese steel rather than telling me where the knives are made. The US has no monopoly on quick buck artists buying companies and substituting cheesiness china crap, if it matters at all to you be sure where they are made.

If I'm a fool so be it, but the website reminds me of the Countersniper website we always used to make fun of.

I find it best to actually go to a quality food supply store, and handle a number of their knives. Get the actual 'feel' that you're wanting, as the balance, length, weight, thickness, edge style, and handle all differ 'a bit to a lot' between brands and designs.

You take vehicles out for test-drives, right? If you're going to spend some serious money on a serious tool, then get serious about 'side-by-each comparisons'.

How things "look" in an advertisement is ONLY marketing. Huge difference.

From the ABOUT US page:
"Kamikoto's blades are handmade by a select group of experienced craftsmen in Niigata, Japan, where blacksmithing can be traced back to before the Edo period, as well as in Yanjiang, China"

From the ABOUT US page:
"Kamikoto's blades are handmade by a select group of experienced craftsmen in Niigata, Japan, where blacksmithing can be traced back to before the Edo period, as well as in Yanjiang, China"

I wonder which ones are on sale.

do you want fancy knives to show your friends, or good knives for basic home kitchen duty?
make sure you know how japanese knives are different, and perhaps not as durable.

Last edited:
I find it best to actually go to a quality food supply store, and handle a number of their knives. Get the actual 'feel' that you're wanting, as the balance, length, weight, thickness, edge style, and handle all differ 'a bit to a lot' between brands and designs.

You take vehicles out for test-drives, right? If you're going to spend some serious money on a serious tool, then get serious about 'side-by-each comparisons'.

How things "look" in an advertisement is ONLY marketing. Huge difference.
or watch america's kitchen and find out what professional cooks like and why.

Hocho Knives for the best Jap blades...

I got myself a Sakai Takayuki Homura Kengata and a Honesuki both in Aogami 2 steel . It's a beast, in both price and dimension but what the hell...

Reactions: Dta1 and bkglock
Just another set of inexpensive knives that are made to LOOK Japanese. All marketing.

I have some real Japanese chef knives and they are a serious pain in the ass— high carbon steel rusts and tarnishes very quickly which is why Sushi chefs have a towel in their apron and constantly wash, wipe, and dry their knives. But they get sharp as can be. You can’t let a real Japanese knife sit in a sink to be cleaned in the morning. If the knife is advertised as “high corrosion resistance”It’s just another stainless steel knife. In which case you’re better off with a tried and true western knife, unless you really like the look and feel of a Japanese knife— in which case Shun is pretty solid. If you really want Japanese steel, feel free to pm me for some links.

E345C122-D517-4CC3-BA6B-0D26F5C214BB.jpeg

When I see these knives, what I see and what I don’t see are important

no specs on the steel
No specs on the blade angle

what o do see- MLM testimonial

chefs can promote the knives and get a commission

I have no idea if they are good or not
I have no idea if they are a value or not

Reactions: Dta1 and bkglock
Don't laugh but I use Dexter Russell Sanisafe. I know I'll be frowned upon. However, give me my good old Smith's whetstones and I can get those buggers really sharp. They're not super hard steel which gives the average user a prayer in hell of getting them sharp using traditional materials, and they're cheap and are found at restaurant supply stores. That's how my father got on to them was he went to the restaurant supply and that's what they recommended. Affordable, decent quality (I'm not saying they're in the league of German and Japanese steel mentioned above) and return on investment is pretty high.

I'd love to try a super quality kitchen knife though. Just to see the difference.

Reactions: diverdon
Glad I made this post. I was inches away from ordering from Kamikoto. Thanks for the excellent responses. I have more research to do.

I am sure everyone here will laugh, but my family sucks at taking care of anything
They abuse and destroy anything and everything that I let them touch
I bought some fine army knives from the Swiss, and let the animals I live with have at em
Sure they are not prestigious, but these things have been going strong for years now
I sharpen them every couple months depending, but they get put in the dishwasher and abused in every way possible and still come back to a reasonable edge

or

I am sure everyone here will laugh, but my family sucks at taking care of anything
They abuse and destroy anything and everything that I let them touch
I bought some fine army knives from the Swiss, and let the animals I live with have at em
Sure they are not prestigious, but these things have been going strong for years now
I sharpen them every couple months depending, but they get put in the dishwasher and abused in every way possible and still come back to a reasonable edge

That's what we used to say about some of our friends: "those people would destroy a battleship." Before my old man passed, when I got back to take care of him and was in the kitchen his knives were sharp as heck. Mine are dull now - I've been lazy. All he used was a carborundum and an Arkansas soft. Usually tested it by shaving hair off arm. Once it'd do that, he'd move to the next. Now my sister....well....she & her husband would destroy a carrier task force.

I have three real Japanese kitchen knives that I use constantly. They were bought from a place at the Tokyo fish market. They are plain as heck... bamboo handles. The blades are not fancy but are visually striking. They are working knives, not art knives. I think the three cost me about $500 for all of them. They are amazing knives to work with. Whole different sharpening regimen.

beware the ‘art knives’ for kitchen use!

And definitely beware Chinese knives of ANY type. Crap steel and crap workmanship.

cheers, Sirhr

I have a couple Shun knives, beautiful and sharp, they are hard so brittle, and need to be cared for. German knives are more robust. But I wanted a couple pretty knives.

Just another set of inexpensive knives that are made to LOOK Japanese. All marketing.

I have some real Japanese chef knives and they are a serious pain in the ass— high carbon steel rusts and tarnishes very quickly which is why Sushi chefs have a towel in their apron and constantly wash, wipe, and dry their knives. But they get sharp as can be. You can’t let a real Japanese knife sit in a sink to be cleaned in the morning. If the knife is advertised as “high corrosion resistance”It’s just another stainless steel knife. In which case you’re better off with a tried and true western knife, unless you really like the look and feel of a Japanese knife— in which case Shun is pretty solid. If you really want Japanese steel, feel free to pm me for some links.

View attachment 7327482

This gentleman is speaking truth. Shun...ehh not bad. The knife and history depend on which prefecture in Japan in which it is made. True Samurai sword makers. I feel it's about history and conversation in the kitchen and that is special depending on your company. I'm that guy that would love to discuss it. Not many do or care.

I'm no knife snob. I do what works and have not done a special Japanese knife set yet. Low on money and priority list. I have studied it for some time. I have folks in Japan I can call hand have them ship me what I want. I extend that to you as well. I have known these Japanese men and their families for almost 25 years.

What do I use in the kitchen to make shit happen? Dexter-Russell knives. Made in USA. Sharp. Inexpensive. Got into these fishing and moved them to the kitchen.

I am more than satisfied with function. Granted they are not art work.

Sorry for rambling. I like knives.

E

This gentleman is speaking truth. Shun...ehh not bad. The knife and history depend on which prefecture in Japan in which it is made. True Samurai sword makers. I feel it's about history and conversation in the kitchen and that is special depending on your company. I'm that guy that would love to discuss it. Not many do or care.

I'm no knife snob. I do what works and have not done a special Japanese knife set yet. Low on money and priority list. I have studied it for some time. I have folks in Japan I can call hand have them ship me what I want. I extend that to you as well. I have known these Japanese men and their families for almost 25 years.

What do I use in the kitchen to make shit happen? Dexter-Russell knives. Made in USA. Sharp. Inexpensive. Got into these fishing and moved them to the kitchen.

I am more than satisfied with function. Granted they are not art work.

Sorry for rambling. I like knives.

E
+1 on Dexter Russell. I only have one and it is a massive cleaver that I use when I am doing a whole pig or separating ribs or similar. Shaving sharp and weighs in like a fireman’s axe! Rusts if you don’t take care of it, but the patina is a part of the beauty. I clean it with a small nickel-sized fragment of 220 grit honing stone.

3BBB766E-DD64-44BB-90D6-62614CFDDC29.jpeg

I’d like some more, but I have a knife problem and the problem is I have no more space!

BTW for amazing American made Knives, look no further than Mooney Warther’s knives of Ohio. Amazing history. Amazing knives. I have some of his antique carving and custom knives as well as too many kitchen knives to list. If I see them for bargain basement prices anywhere I snag them if only to re-gift.

ED993CC5-E2D3-4639-847D-68A8FAB372C0.jpeg

Did I mention I have a knife problem? The Warther’s are on lower right. The white handled Henckels I bought in 1989. All the money in the world back then. But 30 plus years later, they are still a pleasure to use.

Cheers,

Sirhr

+1 on Dexter Russell. I only have one and it is a massive cleaver that I use when I am doing a whole pig or separating ribs or similar. Shaving sharp and weighs in like a fireman’s axe! Rusts if you don’t take care of it, but the patina is a part of the beauty. I clean it with a small nickel-sized fragment of 220 grit honing stone.

View attachment 7327684
I’d like some more, but I have a knife problem and the problem is I have no more space!

BTW for amazing American made Knives, look no further than Mooney Warther’s knives of Ohio. Amazing history. Amazing knives. I have some of his antique carving and custom knives as well as too many kitchen knives to list. If I see them for bargain basement prices anywhere I snag them if only to re-gift.

View attachment 7327685

Did I mention I have a knife problem? The Warther’s are on lower right. The white handled Henckels I bought in 1989. All the money in the world back then. But 30 plus years later, they are still a pleasure to use.

Cheers,

Sirhr

My man. That is a fine cleaver. I will be in search of that same knife. Sweet piece.

I must have one.

Like yourself, I have a storage issue, but I will make room for that cleaver.

Apologies for derailing OPs thread.

E

Edit: Check out Dan Winkler Knives as well

Last edited:
My man. That is a fine cleaver. I will be in search of that same knife. Sweet piece.

I must have one.

Like yourself, I have a storage issue, but I will make room for that cleaver.

Apologies for derailing OPs thread.

E

Edit: Check out Dan Winkler Knives as well
There's a bunch on eBay. If you need measurements let me know and I'll take a photo for you with measurements.

BTW, on the upper right is a set from Half-Face Blades, Andy Arrabito. There is a great HFB thread in SIdearms and K-Bars. If you like Winkler, you will like Andy's stuff! I just scored that set on eBay for a song. They are stunning. Barely used them yet. I made space for those!

Cheers,

Sirhr

I have started using Shun Classic because of the handle and bolster shape along with the blade steel and hardness. I prefer Japanese knives to German because of the handle shape.

Do not pay a lot for a knife because you think it should cost a lot. If there are no specs on steel hardness or composition then stay away.

If you just want to spend a lot on kitchen knives look at the Kramer damascus knives.

Everything I need.
1589662427785.png

However, I'm thinking of both simplifying and upgrading to this. We live in a wonderful time.
1589662575394.png

Reactions: Tono
Like many of you, I have two large knife blocks.
I use a sharpie oil paint pen on the handle.
bread knives have a line
The santoku have 4 dots
The knives only I am allowed to use have some orange on them. 15 degree and razor sharp
I have a razor sharp veritable knife with a V on the wooden handle.
And my favorite - a crap fiskars chef knife. I reground the blade so it is sharp. It has green paint on the end of the handle. It is the knife for guests. Totally ok to chop on anything as it is a crap knife. Very hard stainless blade- green mark so guests who are not good with knives don’t get lectured by me - over and over to only cut on a cutting board.

the green Mark is one I just don’t care about.

with the double blocks and 21 or 22 knives - the marks make it easy to find the knife for me or guests.

After much studying and conversation with some knowledgeable people, I got these from Hocho Knife Japan.
Iseya G- Series, 33 layer VG-10 Damascus.
210mm Gyuto
180mm Santoku
120mm Petty
I'm very happy with them, by far the best knives I've ever used. Hocho-knife.com shipped fast, only took 4 days.
20200521_123157.jpg

Reactions: Tono and diverdon
I’m a chef, been doing this a high level for quite some time. Some of the best knives look very drab. In my opinion, avoid fancy looking, gimmicky knives. As mentioned above, Korin is a great place to purchase knives. They do not sell crap and can match most budgets. My favorites utilitarian knives aren’t carbon steel Misono, Matsumoto, Tanaka and Suisun knives. Carbon is more upkeep but very easy to regain a razor sharp edge. Nenox knives are nice but get expensive. Don’t forget quality stones. 2000, 4000, 6000 grit and 8000 as optional polishing stone as well as a stone fixer are essential. learn how to sharpen your knives. Korin has excellent videos. Shapton makes an excellent whetstone.