• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Hunting & Fishing Kayak fishing

TheBigCountry

Green Weenie
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Dec 9, 2013
    Picked up my first dedicated fishing kayak, and will be hitting the waters soon. Area here (Jax) is abundant with good spots to put in and chase reds, founder, and trout and the bite is supposed to be on right now.

Anyone else yak fish?

I've been out a half dozen times this year. I'm pretty much just kayak casting....

Friend had his kayak on there sport fisher and caught some calm seas. Caught a swordfish.

Welcome to your new addiction. I used to kayak fish in the Jax area. Brown's creek is an awesome spot to learn in. Cedar Point is another good one without a lot of boats crowding you.

Friend had his kayak on there sport fisher and caught some calm seas. Caught a swordfish.

Sure that wasn't a Marlin?

I didn't do any kind of sea fishing from a kayak or canoe, but I've done a ton of lake and river fishing. Pretty much like shore or wader fishing in that you have to know what's there for food for them.

A classic example is most rivers, even lakes, you can toss a mosquito out there and get something. But if there is something unique about local mosquitoes or a hatch is going on, you ain't catching shit.

Took the new 'Yak out for the second time today, and found a school of small trout. Still learning, but they were fun to get into and tear up with a MR17. All got released to grow bigger for next time

[IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/preview.ibb.co\/cfJU6v\/Fishing_9_4_4.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/preview.ibb.co\/cPDkeF\/Fishing_9_4_3.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/preview.ibb.co\/jaWz6v\/Fishing_9_4_2.jpg"}[/IMG2]
    [IMG2=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","src":"https:\/\/preview.ibb.co\/ko3qDa\/Fishing_9_4_1.jpg"}[/IMG2]

What kind of kayak did you buy? There are so many offerings and purposed built models. The Banana River area is primo kayak water. Nothing more exhilarating as sight fighing for tailing redfish.

been a few years but used to rent ocean kayaks to row out tuna heads from the outer banks/hatteras shores for shark fishing. pretty surreal being out there in pitch black a few hundred yards from shore with a big bloody head and hook. we'd drop them off then come back to shore or pier and wait for a hit. got two 200# sharks that way. one broke off at end of pier (wrapped around piling), other one i walked down to the surf and got.

I've done some kayak fishing in the Nueces River for bass. Because I own a boat, I really dislike how uncomfortable it is haha, but it's definitely a unique and interesting experience. Post pics of what you catch and good luck.

Why yes I do. I do like to kayak fish. :D

26026695508_7b3eceba30_o.jpg

I set my wife up as well.

26026743758_4aa17351fc_o.jpg

Sometimes I take Patrick. ;)

39000653885_6436f97ac6_o.jpg

Some trout.

25028088737_1dbc78ecf2_o.jpg

I rolled it while fishing last Summer. Cost me right at a $1K in lost and damaged 'stuff'.

Last edited:
    I do, on the west coast. We fish the delta for striper, sturgeon and salmon. The bay is good halibut, shark and sturgeon fishing, and off the coast for crabbing, rockfish, shark and salmon.

What kind of yak did you pick up? You're in a great spot for it.

Fixed (removed) the goofy sideways and upside-down pics in my last post. Lol.

After getting into kayaks I was very much considering a Hobie w/ the electric drive until I found this little guy. I'm still thinking about one. It has twin props in each pontoon and they're protected as well. You control each prop independently with your feet and is extremely precise. You can also get into very shallow water, they say. And it's supposed to be very stable. The price is nice as well. There's a 2hp Honda OB option in addition to the electric motors as well.

If anyone has any first hand experience, I'd love to hear it.

FrankonBoatV2.jpg

Last edited:
    Can you share the brand/model of that? Looks interesting...

I snagged a Wilderness Systems ATAK 140 after fire season, and have been enjoying taking it out into the creeks here in JAX chasing reds and trout. Haven’t caught any big reds yet, but caught my biggest trout so far at 25 inches.

I picked up a Perception Pescador ProAngler10 late last fall to use in small high mountain lakes here in SW Colorado. I used it a couple times and it seemed stable with a comfortable lawn chair type seat. Flycasting out of this kayak was very easy.

I'm 6'4" and spending the $ on a quality long kayak paddle vs a standard cheapo was money well spent.

Looking forward to using it this Summer! Most of the small lakes around here have gone no outboard motor/ wakes, so I sold the Lund and bought the kayak.