• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keep my LMT MWS or get a Remington 700?

TriggerHappy1

Private
Minuteman
Apr 24, 2014
Hey guys. I'm new to precision shooting. I need your advice on a buying/selling decision. In 2013 I bought an LMT MWS .308 16 inch chrome-lined barrel. It's been a safe queen since then except for firing a few rounds at the indoor 25-yd range as couldn't afford a decent scope until recently. I probably had no justification spending over $3K on a rifle other than I wanted something with more power and range than an AR15, and wasn't really aware of the many other choices. And of course there was the panic buying factor with all the proposed new gun laws here in California last year. Anyway, since then, I took a 1-day precision shooting class (borrowed a high-end rifle from the instructor), and have sampled a couple other precision rifles in .308. At this point, I know I want to continue shooting at least out to say 500 yards and beyond. I'm considering selling the LMT and buying a Remington 700 when they become more available, or keeping the LMT and spending another $725 on an 18" or 20" stainless 5R barrel that will get me out to longer ranges. I guess it boils down to what range the LMT is capable of for an average shooter with a decent optic... I have a Vortex PST 4x16 FFP on order. Should I be happy with whatever range and accuracy I can get out of the LMT after sinking more money into a better barrel? Or should I take the cash out of the LMT and buy a nice 700 with a 24" barrel? Now I understand the "philosophy of use" of both platforms. I'm not likely to ever need to use the LMT as a battle rifle, but if it can double as a decent bench/target rifle out to 800 yards, then seems like a win-win. OTOH, I could cash out the LMT and build a quite nice 700 that could double as a capable SHTF/urban defense weapon. Finally, if you recommend waiting for a 700, which specific model is the best starting point for building up a mid-to high end tactical/target rifle? Thanks.

I vote for keeping the LMT and buying a decent factory .308 bolt action to start with. Then when you feel like you have outgrown the bolt action sell it and upgrade.

Keep the LMT for harder hitting semi-auto action and move the precision game to a bolt action with less moving parts.

As an aside, I bought a Remington .308 at Dick's Sporting Goods on Black Friday for around $350 with a varmint barrel. It doesn't shoot like a AI or DTA, but its a good starter precision rifle - and it will eat the same ammo your LMT does.

Don't sell the LMT. It does too many things to dismiss. It's a very capable weapon on its own, and you would regret selling it later on.

Own both, will keep both.

The LMT has lost some of its luster since discovering the 700 will outshoot it any day of the week but the LMT can do stuff, like a twenty round mag dump, that would be impossible for the 700.

If you can afford both keep both.

Keep the MWS, and better yet forget about a longer barrel for it. The tiny gains you will get from a new $500 barrel isn't needed with the long range limitations of the 308. I have both the Chrome 16" and the 18" stainless. I honestly can't tell the difference. You can buy a brand new Rem 700 for the price of the new MWS stainless barrel. Swap you scope back and forth and now you have two rifles for both purposes.

These statements always crack me up, "SHTF/urban defense weapon". As a fellow Ca resident I hear it all too often as I roll my eyes……Buy yourself a $300 Mossberg 12 gauge if that's what you really want.

The LMT can be as accurate as you need it to be and is made to stand the test of time. You also don't need to stick a longer barrel on it to make it a bigger pig. The small increase and I do mean small increase in speed is not much benefit to you. Your basic 16in chrome lined barrel is plenty accurate. You could sell off you chrome lined barrel to finance 16 or 18in ss barrel if you just had to do it but not needed. It will easily get you to 500 yards just the way it sits. Try it out with diff factory ammo and stuff before getting rid of it. Look up a guy with the screen name Trident. He has tons of video with the LMT's.

Keep the MWS, and better yet forget about a longer barrel for it. The tiny gains you will get from a new $500 barrel isn't needed with the long range limitations of the 308. I have both the Chrome 16" and the 18" stainless. I honestly can't tell the difference. You can buy a brand new Rem 700 for the price of the new MWS stainless barrel. Swap you scope back and forth and now you have two rifles for both purposes.

These statements always crack me up, "SHTF/urban defense weapon". As a fellow Ca resident I hear it all too often as I roll my eyes……Buy yourself a $300 Mossberg 12 gauge if that's what you really want.

OK, it does sound kinda implausible... but I can't forget the images from 1992 of those guys in Koreatown up on the roofs of their businesses brandishing pistols and long guns to keep the looters at bay, while much of LA burned :) Hey, it could happen again, right? And yes you're right about the 12 guage. Already have it covered with my Benelli.

I vote for keeping the LMT and buying a decent factory .308 bolt action to start with. Then when you feel like you have outgrown the bolt action sell it and upgrade.

Keep the LMT for harder hitting semi-auto action and move the precision game to a bolt action with less moving parts.

As an aside, I bought a Remington .308 at Dick's Sporting Goods on Black Friday for around $350 with a varmint barrel. It doesn't shoot like a AI or DTA, but its a good starter precision rifle - and it will eat the same ammo your LMT does.

Sounds like a plan. Thanks!

The LMT can be as accurate as you need it to be and is made to stand the test of time. You also don't need to stick a longer barrel on it to make it a bigger pig. The small increase and I do mean small increase in speed is not much benefit to you. Your basic 16in chrome lined barrel is plenty accurate. You could sell off you chrome lined barrel to finance 16 or 18in ss barrel if you just had to do it but not needed. It will easily get you to 500 yards just the way it sits. Try it out with diff factory ammo and stuff before getting rid of it. Look up a guy with the screen name Trident. He has tons of video with the LMT's.

Got it. Thx.

OK, it does sound kinda implausible... but I can't forget the images from 1992 of those guys in Koreatown up on the roofs of their businesses brandishing pistols and long guns to keep the looters at bay, while much of LA burned :) Hey, it could happen again, right? And yes you're right about the 12 guage. Already have it covered with my Benelli.

A lightweight AR with irons/red dot would be much more suitable than a scoped MWS weighing twice as much! Great, I fell for it and joined in the SHTF weapon debate! Never again………..:)

If you going to buy a bolt gun, atleast be smart enough to not piss money away on a 700.

You can shoot 1K with a 16" MWS with the right ammo. Do your part, its not the gun.

I seriously considered a LMT MWS recently...it's a great rifle and plenty accurate out to 500 yards+. There's a great video on YouTube of a guy banging steel at 800 yards with a 16" barrel. Keep it...shoot it...enjoy it and have fun! IF you can afford it, get a decent shooting 308 bolt action, ie R700, Savage, Howa and have fun with that one too. ;)