• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Sidearms & Scatterguns Keep smokin my TLR1...lone wolf?

RGraff

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 6, 2003
La Grande,OR
I've got a TLR-1 mounted on my Gen. 3 G21. It extends quite a bit beyond the muzzle and I'm constantly smokin' the light with the muzzle blast. With a little work I can usually get it cleaned up but I'm worried about long term damage.

Does anyone here who runs a Lone Wolf threaded barrel have the same issues with the light? My hope is that the slightly extended barrel, without can and with thread protector, will bring that muzzle blast sufficiently out beyond the light and keep from burning it but I don't want to spend the coin if it won't fix the problem.

Re: Keep smokin my TLR1...lone wolf?

Yeah, I've used that and it works ok. I'm just worried about damage to the light over the long term.

Put a thin layer of chapt stick on th lense and it will just wipe off.

Put some chap stick or light grease on the light before shooting at the range in daytime conditions obviously not if you are going to be using the light

this allows the buildup to wipe right off.

I had actually written out a long response to you, but shelfed it for fear that you might not understand the underlying message.

I was going to suggest you contact Mark at "TROS" (Google it) and have a simple thread protector extended out past whatever it is that you would wish to "protect."

or...

You could order a flip cap for your light end. They are sold with clear, red , ir lens kits. Use them until you are worried about their appearance and then toss that. They are cheap.

But that wasn't the real meat of the original message. The meat was that you should not live in a world where you would care that the blast had coated your light in carbon, if that carbon was nothing more than cosmetic...which it is in that set-up. Move past the idea that these tools should not show wear and use and you will find yourself concentrating on more important issues. In other words forget it in its entirety.

There you go.

Thanks guys...appreciate the advise.

No worries RT...I get what you're saying. Not concerned with cosmetics and I should have said so. When I said damage I meant from the blast and heat generated. I could give a crap about the carbon. I figured if I could lengthen the life of my light a bit by something as simple as extending the barrel then I'd try it. Otherwise it is what it is.

I have used the same TLR-1 for years on duty and ran it on everything from Glocks and Sig's to 1911's. Most notably it survived several thousand rounds through a Glock 31 in .357 Sig which is a rough round. Yes it will get dirty when you train but I have never had an issue with the carbon buildup that a paper towel couldn't knockout. It is a tough light and I have beat the everloving shit out of mine, I wouldn't worry about damage.

Y'know, I'm an unabashed 'omg MY MAN JEWELRY GUN IS DIRTY OH NO!' civilian, so I can't really say a thing about how you should treat your work gun, but, uh... when this happened to mine, I just wrapped the end of the TLR in electrical tape.

Works like a champ, comes off easy. In fact I was such a super-insane cleanliness freak I would put some sacrificial plastic wrap or a cheap plastic lens on the end.

Yeah... I have a problem... I know...

I have been running the TLR 1 's on both my Glock 17 w/LW threaded barrel and my G21SF with a KKM threaded barrel and neither one is giving me any problem with residue from muzzleblast.

Mine gets dirty nasty every time I go shooting. Looks bad until I get it cleaned up, but I wouldn't worry about damage. Mine is still going strong after several thousand rounds.

I run a TLR3 on my P229 and it blasts the lens with carbon so bad that light is barely emitted when on. Even with new batteries the light becomes useless so I have to clean mine once in a while to preserve functionality.

I just rub it down with vasoline before I head to the range.I have done that with all of my pistol lights. Works fine.