• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keep the M1a or not?

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
I am pondering selling off my M1a because I never shoot it and have a ton of room and dough tied up in accessories and mil surp ammo. I am well aware of the age old addage of never selling a gun but since I have no kids to pass them on to and am no longer a kid myself I am considering it. With ARs and AKs in the stable along with bolt guns and others I dont see what roll a M1a plays in my scheme of things. Its pretty accurate but its heavy, its got iron sights and some GI parts. It would not be my "go to" gun.

I dont know, I really need new glass for my LMT MWS and looking over at a rifle I dont shoot plus 15 mags, tools, accessories and a couple thousand rounds of ammo sure is tempting. On the other hand, when I have shot it, it always puts a smile on my face. Banging steel at 250 yards with open sights is cool and it is somewhat of an American icon.

What say you? Keep it or sell it?

Re: Keep the M1a or not?

I had the M1A, with all the bells and...

Likewise the AR, with all the bells and...

...and the Garand, with all the bells and...

These days, I still have the Garand, and not quite so many bells and...

...and I'm in the market for a Stag Arms 6H...

I never miss the M1A, I have my Garand to keep me warm...

I actually got to do my USMC Small Units/Infantry Squad Tactics Training (ITR) back in 1966 with the Garand (a very old and tired Garand); and the M14 was my standard issue weapon for the rest of my enlistment including the 13 months in 'Nam. I busted several M14's (bent flash suppressor, broken stock), but I never managed to bust a Garand. Love 'em both, but I <span style="font-style: italic">kept</span> my Garand.

If I ever <span style="font-style: italic">really</span> needed a '<span style="font-style: italic">And now we all go to Hell, boys and girls!</span>' rifle, the Garand seems about right.

Greg

I've always thought it a beautiful rifle! Almost bought one a few years ago but went with the AR10 instead as I felt it was more versatile.

Damn sure not as aesthetically pleasing!

I love my FA-M14. It needs a few minor improvements that some would consider downgrades like a GI fiberglass/plastic stock, or one of the EBR stocks. It has all the cool Match upgrades, works reliable as all get out, but I just can't get behind the walnut stock with all it's beauty to get it out to the range. I guess I just like guns that I can beat around and not worry about damaging...
If you sell it, sell it here or on the M14 Forum to someone who truly appreciates the thing. Mine? Well, it's a match grade peerless shooter, but it still holds it's future as a DMR regardless of how pretty the stock is with it's BLO finish

I don't shoot my M1A much since I got my Distinguished badge with it while shooting for the Guard.

Got it in 1977 for $295, a four diget serial number 0068XX. Sold to me (new) by Wayne Young, the AMU armor who went with the first AMU Sniper Teams set to set up Sniper Programs in Vietnam. Wayne was also the one to pushed me into going to the AMU Sniper School.

It was converted to a Heavy Match by none other then Gene Barnett himself (Barnett Barrels, but he was also working as an Armor for the NGB MTU.

I'll sell it righe after hell freezes over.

M1A%20_1_.jpg

I have a M1A in the back of my safe that I never shoot anymore and I ponder the same thing. I could use the money for an AR-10 platform, or get another scope for a bolt action set-up I've been thinking about for some time.

I just can't pull the trigger and put it in the for sale section.

KEEP [T !

If you aint got but one of them I say keep her.
I have never owned one myself ( dreamed of them for years ).
Had a 1/2 moa bolt rifle in .308 for 15 years now and cant cough up the $ for the M1A,but I still want one. I know what you are talking about with one's you dont shoot. Got a few here I feel the same about. But once it is gone you may miss it.

I say keep it. If it puts a smile on your face when you shoot it like mind did for me anyway. I sold mine like an idiot and miss the hell out of it. I want to get another one, but have a few other projects first.

I say sell it, you don't shoot it, and want other toys, I kept the Rifles Pistols and Shotgun I shoot, everything else is gone.

I go through guns like Shankster goes through fatties. If you don't use it or enjoy it then sell it and find something new that makes you happy.

I've never sold a firearm that I didn't regret selling at some later time!

Keep it, hand it down to your kids if you have any. Such a historic rifle. I regret selling mine 15 years ago to this day, now you can hardly find good ones with mil parts as that all dried up.

You'd probably regret it, but I understand the temptation. I don't know if you would dump all the milsurp, but I can tell you that many of the 8 million dollar DI rifles may not like a mag full of South African--or Tula, or Wolf....The will eat anything, which is nice. And I will fight to the death with anyone that wants to argue reliability of the M14 vs. AR10. But if none of that bothers you--by all means dump it...

I am going to disagree with everyone here and I say sell it. No not to me for a buck or anything silly like that. Here is what I think. As you already stated you have no one to give this to and no one that will inherit it after you are gone. You don't shoot it and it is a great rifle. I say why not let someone who will appreciate it just like you do buy it and shoot the darn thing. Let them have some fun or be able to pass it down their family tree. Just my thought.

Keep it!

This coming from a guy who has sold every gun he has owned ('cept for my AR)... But thats only due to financial reasons in that moment. I've regretted every sale, and wish I could have them all back!

If you dont shoot it, grease it and seal it up in a poly gun bag. Stick that bitch in your home storage/back of closet/safe or whatever. The value is not going down. Who knows, may come in handy for some trade fodder down the line, or at least when the next inevitable gun "shortage" occurs.

In short, right now is not the best time to sell.

I keep mine just for the M14 match at Camp Perry. Loads of fun. I'll admit I need to take it out more.

I will give up my m1a when its pried from my lifeless fingers. I go through firearms like most people go through underwear, but my m1a is on the "not for sale" short list.

If you don't have a son or daughter of your own, find one. Find a youth or young adult who has no one in their family who has taught them the shooting culture and mentor them. If they turn out satisfactory, give it to them. Neighbor, coworker's kid, church goer, etc. Giving the gift of our culture is the greatest joy and most solemn responsibilty we have.

Unless there's a sentimental reason for keeping it, I'd offload that M1A and get some great glass. Some people love the M1As because they used them in the military, but there are better guns that fill the same role. Since you've already got ARs and AKs, it doesn't sound like you get much utility from the M1A. Sell it and don't look back.

If you don't have a son or daughter of your own, find one. Find a youth or young adult who has no one in their family who has taught them the shooting culture and mentor them. If they turn out satisfactory, give it to them. Neighbor, coworker's kid, church goer, etc. Giving the gift of our culture is the greatest joy and most solemn responsibilty we have.

He can be my daddy, I want another m1a

I got the same dilemma with my M1. Can't shoot in Service rifle anymore(cataract, front post out of focus). It's tuned and match bedded, just taking up room. Tried to sell it at a gun show, they all bitched about non original parts. I don't keep anything that I can't shoot. AAArgh!