• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keep the "Old Dog", Modify, or...?

weshowe

Private
Minuteman
Nov 24, 2013
Monmouth, OR
Gents,

A week or so ago I joined the forum and told you that My 40A1 had served me well, but I hadn't been an active shooter for a bit.
Today, I had the opportunity to do some snapping in and handled the rifle, as well as cleaned it, and that brought several things to light.

First, I like the rifle as is. Let's face it the M40A1 had some serious thinking, by shooters, that went into it. Something about it is just "right"...that, and we have history together. Yes, it's dated, but darn it, so am I. The only thing it really needs are updated optics. I'm loathe to modify the rifle in any way which means I leave "as is" and build a new one this upcoming year.

The M40A1 remains my go 'til rifle until then. Maybe even after that...

I plan to build from the ground up. I may stay with the .308, but that's not certain yet. I say that, as I have a can inbound(sometime) for it in .308.

I'm asking for advice from the membership on the build. If it helps, I believe in basics and quality...and am willing to pay for it. Like a good bang for the buck, though.

I have a GAP gas gun and have had a GAP .338 Lapua. Great guns. On the other hand most makers are backed up with long lead times, etc.

I'd like your recommendation on Action, barrel, stock, builders...etc. Any help is appreciated at this point.

Have gotten back in touch with a few old shooting buddies for their recommendations, as well. Let's face it...a lot has changed in the past decade and I'd like to incorporate some of the new technology into the build.

One other option would be to buy a Sako TRG 22, an AI, or other complete rifle ready to go. I'm leaning toward the TRG-22 if I were to do that. It would be nice to hear from the TRG users and those with AI's to get the pros and cons of each.

Realize I'm asking a lot here, but could really use the assist.

Semper Fi,

Wes Howe
Major, USMC(Ret)

Gents,

If a different caliber I'd probably go to the 260 Remington (6.5/08). I've got most of Boot's Obermeyer's data for that cartridge and across the course loads.
My other option would be 6.5 x 47 Lapua.
Both fine cartridges.

I definitely don't want to get into forming my own cartridges.

Wes

.260 is a great round and easy to load for. If you look around sometimes GAP or Surgeon has some in their "Rifles ready to ship".

Shoot a 140 class bullet under H4350 at somewhere between 42.0-44.0 grains. I went to .260 from a .308 and it was like cheating.

Defiance Deviant is probably your best bet on getting a Custon action with interval lug and base which I really like. Surgeon's have not been available for some time. If intergral lug and base are of no importance then Bighorn and Stiller are viable options as well. Buy a quality barrel in a proper twist (8 or 8.5 for a .260), Third generation shooting supply or Stocky Stocks have stocks, Grizzly or Bruno shooters have barrels. I like Surgeon bottom metal. Get a reputable smith to put it together and you are all set.

Can't argue with a new GAP, especially a new 6.5 SAUM. Many guys are superbly happy with the DTA. That rifle has some functional advantages, but the ergos may not suit you. There is a sticky in this subforum covering that platform that you should checkout.

Have fun with your decision and good luck.

Gents,

Here's a picture of the "Old Dog":

M40A1 clone: Trued Rem 700 action, Badger Ord. recoil lug, .308 Obermeyer barrel, McMillan HTG stock.
It shoots better than I can on any given day. Love the gun.

Wes

That rifle is perfect. If you really want a change, try some really good optics on it. Spend your money on glass.

Gents,

Thanks for the kind words. That rifle is special. I suppose a optics upgrade wouldn't be to bad.
Suggestions?

Wes