• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Keeping bullets linged up while seating

niwot

Private
Minuteman
Jun 15, 2006
Colorado
So I just started loading for my AR. I have been loading for my 300 win mag, and I've run into a new challenge loading for the AR.

The issues is that the 75 grain BTHP Hornady bullets are a bitch to keep lined up while seating. It really slows me down, and takes some of the joy out of loading.

What the secret?

Re: Keeping bullets linged up while seating

A forester seating die will go a long way in helping. Also a small inside neck chamfer is often a big help.

Seat half way, rotate the case 180 degrees, finish seating.

A generous inside chamfer with a VLD tool will help hold the bullet erect as it enters the die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: The Mechanic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">inline seater $$$$ </div></div>

Ditto! Also known as a chamber style seater! There is a sliding sleeve inside the die that matches the chamber of the rifle!

Forster, Redding, LE Wilson, and Neil Jones makes them!

These dies will help with this problem and improve your bullet runouts.

Terry

I have changed all my seating dies over to an inline seater die. I have one hornaday that works good enough for a hunting rifle. All the others are redding tho. Redding dies are great dies and one of the best out there. Redding stands behind there product and if you happen to get a bad die or any bad part of reddings as far as that goes they will either fix it or replace it. as stated already they do help out a lot with runout.

the rcbs competition dies also has the sleeve and a window to put the bullet thru

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: niwot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I just started loading for my AR. The issues is that the 75 grain BTHP Hornady bullets are a bitch to keep lined up while seating. It really slows me down, and takes some of the joy out of loading.

What the secret? </div></div>

I think what he's saying here is that he wants the bullet to appear straight as it goes up into the die. A straight line seater lines the bullet up straight with the case after it goes into the die. If you want the bullet to sit straight in the case before it goes into the die use the Lyman "M" die which puts a "step" on the case mouth allowing the full diameter portion of the base to seat into the case about .050" or so which holds the bullet straight.

Ditto the Lyman "M" die. ONLY it opens the case mouth a tad to allow bullet heels to set in line. It is a mistake to considerit a device limited to cast bullets. The same thing that makes it good for cast also makes it good for jacketed.

Anyone paying the high cost of a premium seater should ONLY consider the Forster/Redding designs.

Dittos on the M die but I took it a step further and turned my own expander to the diameter I wanted and chamfer the case mouth. The boat tails sit there but the flat bases are rather a pain.

I'm currently loading several thousand 7.62 x 51 cases and part of the prep is running them through a Dillon sizer/trimmer. By using the M die I can eliminate the deburring / camfer process. Each step eliminated is x 1000's