• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Keith Johns made 10/22

Re: AZ Precision made 10/22

I have yet to try anything but Remington and CCI in it. And nothing has been match.

I will shoot match ammo through it pretty soon, at 100, on sandbags and see what happens.

Those pics will have to go up tonight. Cant do it from this computer

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AZPrecision</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have yet to try anything but Remington and CCI in it. And nothing has been match.
</div></div>
Federal AutoMatch is not really MATCH ammo in the typical sense. It is sold in a bulk 325 round box at Wal-Mart. It was designed for semi-auto 22's. I would give it a try...it might surprise you.

IMG_14351.jpg

IMG_14361.jpg

IMG_14401.jpg

IMG_14421.jpg

IMG_14411.jpg

Outstanding man!!!

That would have been fun to do in school
laugh.gif
Heck you are able to "use" the project that you are being graded on. Rather than have it sit in a closet in the house.

We're actually not supposed to have them put together until next semester.... Febuary sometime. So its supposed to be a paper weight till then.

I couldnt wait that long. I wanted to shoot it over winter break

Ya he made a new charging handle for it that is ambidextrous. Two charging handles, one on each side. Pretty kool.

Just shot a .140"-ish group at 25 yards off my hunting pack. I really think this thing will hold half MOA at 100 off sand bags.

There are guys designing new things. A few are making custom bolt action receivers.

I might make a Sharps 45/70 from the ground up. I'd make the receiver, cut rifle my own barrel, and make a walnut stock and forend from blanks. Only thing I wouldnt make would be the stand up sights, and some internals springs and sears.

I just milled the factory charging handle into a semi-circle, then filed it round enough to thread. The aluminum knob I made is held on by epoxy and a few threads. There is a better way.

The best way to go would be to make a whole new one from a piece of steel. Then just use the Ruger spring and rod running through it. This is what the man in our class did who made a dual charging handle did. He made it from one piece of steel, and used the factory rod and spring.

I wouldnt want to offer either one. Reason being, I dont think the way I did it is acceptable to put on the market.
And making a one piece from steel has two concerns... one is time. I dont want to compete with CNC shops in the parts making game. And two, an all steel one might weigh too much. *The added weight from my aluminum knob is noticable*(and part of my plan). One from steel might be too heavy(depending on size).

*HOWEVER, my spring boss is long, increasing spring pressure. This was on purpose as well and might be the only thing I'm feeling/hearing when it cycles. Ive never shot it without this knob on it.
Part of my plan in making this was to have it barely cycle CCI subsonics. Its slow to the rear and barely cycles the subs.

As a fourth semester project, I'm going to look into what is required to make a can. The ATF allows you to, but there are rules of course. It's only $200 or so. Fourth semester wont end until May next year so there should be plenty of time. If I get a permit to do that I'll post pics next year. One plan is to make an integral one in a 1-9" twist barrel. Have some research to do though.

A Form 1 suppressor. I wish I had the skills and tools to make one. Good luck with the projects.

That Sharps rifle would be amazing!

would you be able to manufacture a slide for a makarov 9x18 but with improved sights? a company used to make them but the smith died and they are hard to find now.

The whole in the back, is that to clean the barrel from the breach without removing the barrel? Very nice work!

Signature.jpg

Shot groups yesterday and was very unpleased. Wind was 15-20mph, and I was using CCI subsonics. Groups at 100 were like 4MOA.

It held much tighter at 50, under an inch.

I'll put my USO on it and go out with no wind and see what itll do. I know she can do better than that.

I have a stainless match 1-10 twist barrel on the way to better stabilize the subsonics I like to shoot.

Using a 1-16" now. So that may be part of why the groups opened up so much from 50 to 100. At 35 yards, it shoots .250 - .375" groups consistantly.

Next, before doing any work to the rifle, I will test it with full velocity Match ammo. It will stabilize better and should be more accurate than the subsonic raccoon killers Im using now.

I fluted the bolt to help it cycle subsonics better. It cycles them fine most of the time, but isnt perfect.
It cycles full powered ammo 99 out of 100 rounds +.
And subsonics about 80 out of 100 times.

When it doesn't cycle, I think its due to variations in the cheap ammo.

Very awesome rifle. I wish i could do gun smithing work like that.. Maybe one day ill learn how to, but for now i need to finish school. Very nice once again im jealous.

Thats fantastic! They should have been made like that all along. Great work!

To build some great rifles!

We have started taking orders for Phoenix Custom Rifles.

Our new lathe and mill showed up today. A big KENT lathe and JET mill. Very pleased with both. Much higher quality than anything Ive used before.

Re: Keith Johns made 10/22

Ya it actually is pretty nice. Wish it was swept back slightly though.

I did it at first as a sort of joke, figuring I can always make a new charging handle from scratch. but when it was done I ended up liking it.

With it I can quickly work the charging handle with my left hand reaching under the rifle. Wasn't possible with the tiny factory one.

looks cool...and a very neat project.

i think, though, i would have tried to make the receiver accept threads...and actually thread the barrel in, ala rem700 style, instead of a wedge block.... but, i never saw pictures of how the barrel mounts, so maybe you did something along those lines

either way....much better work than i'll EVER have the skill to do...so kudos

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GSRswapandslow</div><div class="ubbcode-body">looks cool...and a very neat project.

i think, though, i would have tried to make the receiver accept threads...and actually thread the barrel in, ala rem700 style, instead of a wedge block.... but, i never saw pictures of how the barrel mounts, so maybe you did something along those lines </div></div>

It uses 3/4x16tpi threads.

1st of all, good work. I envy your skills.
2nd, I now have to hate you because you have skills and I envy your work.
3rd, I used the same rings as you did trying to achieve overkill.
4th, Now when I tell people I "built" a 10 22 I have to explain that by build I mean bought the pieces and put it together....not like KEITH who actually "built" his firearm...thanks man.
And 5th, When you do put a suppressor on it, it is AWESOME!

Heh thanks man you are too kind.

With my buddies suppressor, it goes "click" "click" "click" shooting CCI subsonics.
I "clicked" off a quick 5 shot string at a rock at 200 yards, and watched all 5 fall in around the rock, with the first one hitting when I was firing the 4th or 5th. So you can spit out 3 shots before the first one hits the target at that range.
Really is BAD ASS!

There are mods done all around to help it cycle sub sonics every time.

I have a 1-10twist SS match barrel that I plan to make an integral can in. It will have 12" of rifling, then 6" of open tube for me to drop in baffles and then screw in a front plate. Making the total solid barrel length 18" so I dont need a permit for a short barreled rifle. I just need to pay the $200 to make a can.
Once I send in the paperwork and get approved, I'll start work on it.

I have it contoured down to 1" straight, 22" long right now.

I will cut the thread tenon, chamber it, chop it at 18", then bore the barrel out to .800" x 6" deep. Cutting the crown then will be difficult but I have a way. So I'll have 12" of rifled bore, then it will open up to an .8" x 6.00" chamber for me to fill with baffles of my own design.

The 1-10 twist should stabilize the 60grain Aguila sub-sonics. Those 60gr bullets, traveling just under the speed of sound, should have the same energy as a sub-sonic suppressed AR15(M4)

Think about that. Those little M4s shootin subsonics through cans are shooting what grain bullets? 60? 70? 80? Same velocity as this will be shooting the 60s. So this 22 should have nearly the same energy as an M4 shooting subsonic 223 rounds. But it will be quieter I think.

Kool little silent scout/recon rifle
grin.gif

This barrel project wont be done for a while. Months at least. But I'll post pics when its done. And video of it shooting silently
smile.gif

Sounds like a great project. The 10 22 I put together is an awesome host to my suppressor. With a subsonic round all you hear is the bolt cycle. My next step is to buy the recoil buffer which is really inexpensive and to make a bolt block. Keep us updated on your projects.