• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kelbly Atlas Tactical Extractor Issue

Marksman_92

Private
Minuteman
Dec 22, 2017
Hello,

I wanted to see if anyone has ever experienced issues with the extractor binding up on the first generation Kelbly Atlas? I recently sent my bolt to Kelblys to have them clean and inspect it bc I though my ejector looked chipped. Everything was fine and all they did was change out firing pin spring and clean the bolt. Well I took the rifle out and on the third firing I couldnt close the bolt on a cartridge. After thorough inspection I determine something is causing my extractor to bind. I have 300 rounds on this gun and just now started having this issue. I noticed some bad wear marks on the outside of the extractor so I polished them down and put the extractor back in the gun. After a couple cases ran through it started doing it again. I looked at the extractor and it was chewed up again. The lugs recesses have been swabbed out so I dont think I have anything in there. I removed the extractor and was able to close the bolt on 20 cases without issue. I am shooting virgin alpha brass but I was also able to replicate the issue on a Hornady factory match ammo also. Its just weird all of a sudden after the bolt gets cleaned I start having problems.
Bolt.JPG

Yes. I had a similar issue with mine recently on my 28 Nosler and so did my buddy with the same gun. He just sent his bolt back to Ryan Pierce for a new extractor. Mine works now that I lubed it good and got it working again. Just needed some oil and a wiggle - it wasn't grabbing brass from the chamber.

Yes. I had a similar issue with mine recently on my 28 Nosler and so did my buddy with the same gun. He just sent his bolt back to Ryan Pierce for a new extractor. Mine works now that I lubed it good and got it working again. Just needed some oil and a wiggle - it wasn't grabbing brass from the chamber.
My problem wasn’t able to be resolved with maintenance to the extractor , I took the gun to Kelblys and they polished it and I believe put new spring and components on it, got the gun out to the range and it kept having the same issue. I contacted them and let them know. It was especially frustrating because I was at the start of a match and it cost me several points on the day because I was having issues all day. But they did make it right and upgraded me to their new bolt design which has a completely different extractor. They have also made changes to their bolt stop. Mine was broke when I took it to them but it was still functioning. Their new design takes all the stress off the pin that holds the bolt stop and transfers it to the action. I ended up selling the gun because I wanted something new all together but I will say Kelblys customer service was good and I wouldn’t be afraid to recommend their actions.