• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kentucky 2200yd range - Park Mammoth

Re: Kentucky 2200yd range - Park Mammoth

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AFAIK, in Tennessee, if you want 1000 yards, you have exactly three choices: Oak Ridge, AEDC and Milan (which is 1100 yards). AEDC and Milan are on military installations and AFAIK civilians can't get on them to shoot except when there's a match. Oak Ridge is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me.
</div></div>

I think I heard at the last AEDC 1000 match that was changing and civilians may be allowed to practice in the near future. you will have to bring 2 friends though as you need someone in the pits and they are requiring an RSO. So, no solo, but better than nothing.

it is threads like this that help me rember how fortunate i am to live where i do this is 1028yds i shoot off deck of my house. it does however make reloading a must.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">it is threads like this that help me rember how fortunate i am to live where i do this is 1028yds i shoot off deck of my house. it does however make reloading a must.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us </div></div>

Wow. That would be my dream shootoing spot. I have to drive an hour to get to a 1000 yard range, i still feel pretty lucky. Not many people have it better than you.

Allright everybody!!!

Looks like we're meeting at Procovert45's house now !!!!
smile.gif

ive thought about doin a small get together maby next fall , kinda fun shoot , compare rigs see what we like,whats workin good, nothin real technical,or stuffy stuck up.

I drove to the MGM Co facility Sunday and was turned away because only two RSOs had showed up for work. They had half the deer hunters within 50 miles show up to check zero @100 yards on a rifle they hadn't seen since deer season closed last winter and they couldn't spare an RSO for the serious shooters wanting to shoot at 400 yards.

Three hours drive time and $18 worth of gas wasted.

So, yeah, I'm eager to get this Park City range up and running.

When I go over to Montgomery Co on Fridays and Saturdays, they only allow folks to use the 400 yard range til noon because some of the shotgun stations are close to it, and they get more shotgun folks than 400 yard people. If I want to use the 400 yard range, if they don't have an RSO for me, I go punch out some 1 cm targets on the 100 yard range just in case the 100 yard RSO doesn't know me and I chat them up til they let me go down to the 400 yard range by myself. If you do get down to the 400 yard range, make sure you ask for the golf cart. 400 down and back wears ya out checking targets. Been keeping my ear to the ground about Rock Castle. Some people say good stuff about the place, and others tell me not to get my hopes up. It will be nice to have a place close to stretch out my skills. I hope they get the long range open soon.....

TiredWings
Bowling Green, KY

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TiredWings</div><div class="ubbcode-body">When I go over to Montgomery Co on Fridays and Saturdays, they only allow folks to use the 400 yard range til noon because some of the shotgun stations are close to it,...</div></div>
They used to have two sporting clays stations on the right side of the 400 yard range but they've moved them elsewhere so you don't have to stop anymore for the shotgunners.

Last year, they rarely even bothered to send an RSO to 400. Now they pretend to but nobody wants to sit and watch just one guy shoot so he always migrates to one of the other ranges. Anyway, Bubba and Clem don't shoot 400 cuz they both are over at the 100-yard range zeroing their flintlock. Most of the people I've run into at 400 are either military or prior military and even without a card-carrying RSO there, we still run it in a military fashion (albeit without the bullhorn).

I've shot there when the golf cart was NMC. Checking and changing targets was a royal pain in the arse.

I thought the Mont.Co. range was only open on the weekends. I travel to Clarksville 3 to 4 times a month for work and have thought about carrying my rig up there on a Friday to shoot until I heard it was a Sat/Sun only range.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ABN_LRSD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the Mont.Co. range was only open on the weekends. I travel to Clarksville 3 to 4 times a month for work and have thought about carrying my rig up there on a Friday to shoot until I heard it was a Sat/Sun only range. </div></div>
It's open Fri, Sat and Sun. It's about half way between C'ville and Ashland City.

Here's their offishial website:

http://shoottn.org/

Bueller?, Bueller? Any reports on the 2200 yard range in Kentucky?? I'd love to shoot there before the end of the year.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Fred_C_Dobbs</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ABN_LRSD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I thought the Mont.Co. range was only open on the weekends. I travel to Clarksville 3 to 4 times a month for work and have thought about carrying my rig up there on a Friday to shoot until I heard it was a Sat/Sun only range. </div></div>
It's open Fri, Sat and Sun. It's about half way between C'ville and Ashland City.

Here's their offishial website:

http://shoottn.org/ </div></div>

Thanks for the info. I'll have to start spending some work time up there on Fridays.

Guys, We aren't making any progress here. I'm willing to drive over to the range and scope it out if you can give me a point of contact. WHO has a phone number and name for this range?? I am ready to get this ball rolling.... Thanks.

I'd also like to get Nick's number. I called the front desk and she didnt seem to know what I was talking about. Thanks

At least I have a name now, "Nick", I surveyed the area with Google Earth looking for the range, I think I found it, I'll drive down there tomorrow maybe and start asking around.

I spoke with Nick the other day. I promised the guy I wouldn't go shooting my mouth all over the internet. I'm gonna keep that promise. Get in touch with them. I have faith they will let us know when they are able to have shooters on the range.

My guess is after the comp in Jan to open.

I think that is what most want, someone from there, presumable Nick to get some sort of intel out about this range instead of keeping everyone guessing. I am sure he has his reason but the word is out now.

Im stoked about this! 4 hours from me, (41701) but I would gladly make the drive, especially for a meet. Luckily I am getting my LR308 in about a month so by the time we get one together, I should be ready to go!

I'd be up for a meet too!! Only about 2 hours west of me!

I just talked to the lady at the front desk about setting up an appointment to come shoot in the next few weeks and I cant wait. In the meantime I thought I'd check out the range on google earth. The only two pictures of the range I have seen are the two at the beginning of this thread so I just used google earth to get a better view.
Google Earth truly never ceases to amaze me.

The picture from darepost and the beginning of the thread:
1582kua.jpg

And the image from google earth, how they pull this off, seemingly everywhere on earth, I do not understand:
ri7uz4.jpg

Guys,
I have been out of touch somewhat on this deal. Raising an newborn and keeping my wife sane have left me spacey. So, I am going to get back on this. My company is doing work in Rockcastle Co right now, I plan on visiting the jobsite in a few days. When I make my way down there I am going to stop in and see if I can sit down with Nick and get some thing going for us all.

If there is a large interest.... they will make it happen. I think the majority of us that can afford the membership should be calling.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYS338</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Guys,
I have been out of touch somewhat on this deal. Raising an newborn and keeping my wife sane have left me spacey. So, I am going to get back on this. My company is doing work in Rockcastle Co right now, I plan on visiting the jobsite in a few days. When I make my way down there I am going to stop in and see if I can sit down with Nick and get some thing going for us all.

If there is a large interest.... they will make it happen. I think the majority of us that can afford the membership should be calling. </div></div>

Think you could possible snap some updated pics of any construction going on? It has been a while since I have been in that area so I would like to know as much as I can about the area and what to look for.

If I can I will take pictures. They are trying to act like they are not making any big changes. The girl that answers the phones never knows anything.

The more people that join up the more that they will do to make a nice range.

Sorry for not reporting back sooner, but to be honest I have not really had much new info to report back on.

I have talked to Nick on a number of occasions, and like most other posts here, I don't really have any significant news to report.

Just My 2 Cents on the situation,
The "range/land" is currently being used by a number of sources, manufacturers, TV show productions, matches, private events, etc. As such there is not a huge "need" to try and get the range open to the public. Opening the range up to the general public could actually cause some "scheduling conflicts". As such, I don't think that Rockcastle is in any major hurry to get the range open to the general public.

As most of you aware, they are going to be doing the Mammoth Sniper Challenge in Jan with a practice in Dec. I would say this will keep them busy for the next couple of months.

My hunch is nothing is really going to happen in terms of public access to the range until early next year probably in the Feb-Mar time frame, and that will be on a small scale.

I am sure if everything goes well with the Mammoth Sniper Challenge that there will be a push to hold more similar events in 2011.

My hunch is once Park Mammoth is ready for the range to go public more formal information will be coming from Nick.

Until then, I would say it is just going to be time to hang loose.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson

Why do you think the Mammoth Sniper Challenge will jam them up for months? I can see the setup taking a week or so before and then the event, but after that they should open it up considering how much publicity they are going to get.... just a thought.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
The "range/land" is currently being used by a number of sources, manufacturers, TV show productions, matches, private events, etc. As such there is not a huge "need" to try and get the range open to the public. Opening the range up to the general public could actually cause some "scheduling conflicts". As such, I don't think that Rockcastle is in any major hurry to get the range open to the general public.

M Richardson </div></div>

I agree with this and think there is more money involved now than opening it up to the public.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sorry for not reporting back sooner, but to be honest I have not really had much new info to report back on.

I have talked to Nick on a number of occasions, and like most other posts here, I don't really have any significant news to report.

As most of you aware, they are going to be doing the Mammoth Sniper Challenge in Jan with a practice in Dec. I would say this will keep them busy for the next couple of months.

My hunch is nothing is really going to happen in terms of public access to the range until early next year probably in the Feb-Mar time frame, and that will be on a small scale.

I am sure if everything goes well with the Mammoth Sniper Challenge that there will be a push to hold more similar events in 2011.

My hunch is once Park Mammoth is ready for the range to go public more formal information will be coming from Nick.

Until then, I would say it is just going to be time to hang loose.

Best of Luck,
M Richardson </div></div>

Capt Richardson,

we have shot together, let me know if you hear anything more about this. i would love to get together with some other long range shooters.

I believe that at some point that RSC (Rockcastle Shooting Center) will be open to the “public” for long range shooting, however I don’t think that at this point that there is a huge need or desire to make that happen as far as RSC is concerned.

Everyone has to remember, the “word” on RSC in terms of Long Range Shooting really “leaked out”, there was no “official” announcement or push on the part of RSC.

The “need” to get the place open ASAP for Long Range Shooting has been driven by the shooters, not so much by the operators of RSC.

IMHO, there have been some “mixed messages”, in that RSC would be open in the “near future” for Long Range Shooting, but exactly when the “near feature” is has never really been clearly defined.

Getting RSC open for Long Range Shooting is going to be a pretty significant undertaking on the part of RSC and I am sure they are trying to work through all of the details and determine what is the “best way” to make it happen. How much infrastructure do they need to put into place, what level of oversight/management are they going to need, etc? I am sure they are also looking at what “rate of return” are they going to get on that investment, and what is it ultimately going to be worth doing?

My guess is this process is currently going on, and the results of it all will start to materialize early in 2011 in some shape or form.

IMHO at this point, I believe that we have done what we need to in terms of making RSC aware of our hopes, needs, desires and we are now going to have to wait patiently as they work through everything on their end.

I will keep everyone up to date as best I can, everyone please share any updates that you may run across.

Thanks,
M Richardson

While I agree I disagree: I have in my hand given to me by the young lady behind the counter there both a brochure and white paper hand out stating:

Rifle Range - Long Distance - 500 to 1000 yards (members only) Opening fall 2010
Reactive Steel Targets

Whether it was leaked or not, I beleive someone there should at least release some official intel other than a brochure and a flier....and getting intel on here. Miss information and rumors hurt many good ideas. Like was said before, I beleive they now discovered scheduling conflicts / money with those already with access Vs open to the public and now they have to juggle.

Or, like the other ranges and facilities there, they may want to super develop it before opening due to safety and everything else when it comes to shooting ranges.

All it would take is a simple paragraph on their web page.

For those of you who have been following the Park Mammoth / Rockcastle Shooting Center progress,

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2299401&page=1

Thanks to the efforts of KYS338, things are in the works to host a shoot at the facility Feb 25-27. Details are still in the works, but we should have everything nailed down very soon.

Please jump in the topic above if you are interested.

Thanks,
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who have been following the Park Mammoth / Rockcastle Shooting Center progress,

http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2299401&page=1

Thanks to the efforts of KYS338, things are in the works to host a "SNIPERSHIDE SHOOT" at the facility Feb 25-27. Details are still in the works, but we should have everything nailed down very soon.

Thanks,
M Richardson</div></div>

Really, a Sniper's Hide shoot... And just how do you have a Snipershide shoot when Sniper's Hide knows nothing about it?

If fact I've never even met ky338 that I know of...

For the record,

This event is in no way "officially sanctioned" as a Snipers Hide event.

This is an event that is first and foremost open to Snipers Hide Members, that is all in terms of Snipers Hide.

Sorry for any misunderstanding.
M Richardson

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lowlight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: captrichardson</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For those of you who have been following the Park Mammoth / Rockcastle Shooting Center progress,

Thanks to the efforts of KYS338, things are in the works to host a "SNIPERSHIDE SHOOT" at the facility Feb 25-27. Details are still in the works, but we should have everything nailed down very soon.

Thanks,
M Richardson</div></div>

Really, a Sniper's Hide shoot... And just how do you have a Snipershide shoot when Sniper's Hide knows nothing about it?

If fact I've never even met ky338 that I know of... </div></div>

It's not a Snipers Hide shoot. It's a shoot for the members here. Maybe it was worded wrong....
And I have met you a few times at Shot Shows in the past years. I came by the booth yesterday and talked with Jacob and Tony. But I came to talk to you and they said you were at AWC.