• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kentucky 2200yd range - Park Mammoth

Re: Kentucky 2200yd range - Park Mammoth

Count me in, I'm in Louisville and have been waiting for a place like this to shoot for a long time. Once a month meetings is an outstanding idea.

We really need to get a monthly match going on here. I can bring a few I think.

Couple of things:

PRIMARY CONTACT WITH ROCKCASTLE
IMHO, we need to try and decide who will be the "Hide Contact Person", who will be "doing the talking" with Rockcastle. At this point, I don't think that it would be in anyone's best interest if a different person is calling them every couple of days trying to find out what is going on or trying to set something up.

Obviously once the range is open, and you are just heading down to shoot, then you are on your own. But during the planning and development process until things get running, it seems like it would make sense to have 1 or 2 people who are doing the bulk of the communicating.

Before this topic popped up, I was originally going to defer to some of the members of the KY State Rifle & Pistol Assoc since they "represent" competitive NRA/CMP shooting in the state. I am going to check back with my contacts there in the next couple of days and see what kind of progress they have made.

I really have no idea what kind of "Long Range Shooting" Rockcastle is looking to get into. If it is strictly "tactical steel" type stuff, along with a "general shooting range", then I doubt KYSRPA would have much to do with it. On the other hand, if they are looking at putting in pull targets/pits and getting into NRA/CMP matches like High Power/Service Rifle, then KYSRPA would definitely be involved.

What do you guys think?

WHAT DO YOU WANT TO SHOOT
I would assume most shooters here are interested in tactical/steel shooting, but we all know what happens when you assume. What type of range facility and matches would you guys like to see at Rockcastle?

Matches:
- Benchrest
- Long Range / F-Class
- High Power / Service Rifle
- Tactical / Steel

Range (or Ranges) Setup
- “preset targets”, the option to set your own targets, a mix of both.
- formal “pull target” setup for competitions like High Power & F-Class
- “high-tech” stuff like electronic targets, targets monitored by cameras

Obviously in most cases you crawl before you walk, and walk before you run, so things will probably start small & simple and develop from there, but ultimately where would you like to see things go?

I am sure the Nobles have a plan, but I am sure they would also appreciate some feedback from the folks who are within a 2-3 hour drive and would be the ones shooting there on a real regular basis.

I think you guys have hit the key points, don’t overwhelm them at this point, show your level of interest, and provide support when they start asking for it

I still can't believe that we finally have a good long range shooting facility in central KY!

Thanks,
M Richardson

Sounds like a good idea Capt, a single well thought out unified voice will likely have more to offer them than a chorus of requests.

I'd volunteer for it but I'm moving out of state at the end of this month. (Yeah I know, right after they build this awesome shooting facility and I probably won't get to shoot there but on occasion when I'm back to visit my Rents.)

Nick's aware of this thread so I figure they at least have read through it and considered what we want. I think their main clients right now are OEM's testing their equipment down there since its a safe place to shoot and less than an hour from Remington's R&D facility in E-town.

I think if SH could reserve one weekend day a month for a match down there, with a representative contact from the site, the participation would be high enough to make it worth their while and maybe we could even get a good deal on the pricing for a full day. The day rate of $10/hr could easily add up to $100 or more but they might be receptive to a collective bargaining agreement from the hide if we booked a full day and brought a minimum number of shooters.

I think you might have volunteered yourself for this role?
smile.gif

A belly button to be a point of contact is a good idea...not me as I am a transplant not knowing much on the local scene.

I am not into matches and I hope this whole hide shoot does not go that way. I prefer to shoot on my schedule in a relaxed atmosphere. Meet others and learn some things while having fun. But if that is the only way hiders or anyone can gain access to this range, good luck and I wish you success!

I have target resources and the capability to help Rockcastle move earth if they want to build a real range. What they have now is crude and basic. You are basically there to enjoy the open space. There are no formal berms or target areas. You can range to see what shot you want but in all seriousness they REALLY need to get on top of digging a berm. Wether thats bringing earth in and piling it up or cutting grade and making something useful and visually pleasing. Plus the fact that it's a safety precaution. Without a berm you risk to much.

I'd be willing to be a contact person for the members here.

I spoke with nick and let him know about this thread, so I am sure he is reading. I have spoken to him and explained our situation.

I am willing to be a representative if we need, but do not know as much of the competition styles and formats as some on here. And I am in the same boat as dareposte.. I am out of the Army 24sept2010 and an heading back home, so my exposure here is limited...

Capt,

I would be interested in Fclass matches/shooting as well as tactical competitions.

I also like the idea of shooting steel at my leisure and setting up my own targets to practice/load develop.

I look forward to shooting there and I am willing to help whenever I can.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have target resources and the capability to help Rockcastle move earth if they want to build a real range. What they have now is crude and basic. You are basically there to enjoy the open space. There are no formal berms or target areas. You can range to see what shot you want but in all seriousness they REALLY need to get on top of digging a berm. Wether thats bringing earth in and piling it up or cutting grade and making something useful and visually pleasing. Plus the fact that it's a safety precaution. Without a berm you risk to much. </div></div>

That is what I like or see in the pictures about this range, more like shooting out in the field Vs a developed range with concrete, benches and cover meaning confinement. Everybody is different and I love freedom of open country. After the Blue Grass Sportsman League, I want to stay far away from this atmosphere and have some sort of freedom and fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: kyreloader</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Capt,
I also like the idea of shooting steel at my leisure and setting up my own targets to practice/load develop. </div></div>

This is what I seek, reminds me of the open country and shooting back home...yes I do miss it everyday.

But I do understand matches are what the majority of shooters prefer.

I'm local, but I'm new to posting on here, and I'm not a skilled marksman as of yet. I can do some leg work here for whomever becomes spokesman. I do not mind helping. I'm 40, a substitute teacher and back in college to get another degree. I'm sorta tied up in those commitments. Ive already looked into storage lockers in Cave City and know the best hotels and creature comforts in the area. If you need a local, I'm here and happy to help the best I can.

As far as what I want out of a range, I have been driving 70 miles each way down to around Ft. Campbell to the Montgomery Co Shooting Complex for the last couple of years. Its ran between the NRA and the state of TN. I'm normally the only person there using the 400 yard range. Its a concrete pad with overhead shelter and heavy wooden shooting platforms. I wouldn't mind seeing a small setup like this at RSC, but also wouldn't mind a bit if they left some ( or alot )of it wild for some realism. Since I'm just starting to add some distance to my shooting skills I would like yardage markers placed over to the sides of the range, maybe windsocks every once in awhile, some sort of range status indicator ( hot or cold ), bush hogged maybe once a month, and a nice big berm in the back just in case a flyer got away ( I don't plan on it happening, but would feel better with it back there ). I grew up in the country and anything better than a bean field with a hill behind it is considered "Deluxe" by me. I just want it to be a SAFE place for me and others to enjoy so good RSO's are a must. I try to be safe at a range, but I never know whats going on in the other shooters minds.

Thanks for allowing my input,
TW

Back to lurking mode now:)

I really want open country, no benches or anything. If anything is build perhaps just a small shade canopy. But other than that I feel it should just be dick in the dirt.

As said earlier, I just want open range to shoot steel at my leisure

Baby steps probably are in order... the natural shooting environment with the ability to maybe set steel at UKD for a day of practice and camaraderie is all that is needed at this time...IMHO

Other venues will develop as membership/participation grows...

One last thing, as far as matches....hell no, I suck ( I may be better than I'm letting on but lets just go with it ) and have no desire to be everybody's whipping boy. I like to take my time setting up and shooting ( I have to have time between shots to curse myself under my breath ). I don't like being rushed because thats when mistakes happen. If they just throw some steel out there as it is and say have at it, I can go for that also. I want to shoot at something farther than 400 yards, I'm not going to be picky. I shoot a M1A Supermatch with a 12 power Swarovski and firing a 20 round clip in a minute I can do a 6 inch group at 400 yards ( now watch me fail if somebody is watching ). I have nobody else that shoots at distances that far in my circle of friends so I have no idea if thats good or bad, I just want to get better and if I can get out to 880 yards doing that well, I will be happy with myself. I am just tired of driving and just want to shoot. I don't care if we go now , with the way it is now. If its open during the week, thats probably when Im gonna like to go so I can take my time and develop my skills.

I vote for KYshooter338 to be the contact person for the hide. reason being he likes diesel trucks, heavy equipment, big guns, and beef!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TN-RN</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I vote for KYshooter338 to be the contact person for the hide. reason being he likes diesel trucks, heavy equipment, big guns, and beef!
</div></div>

Haha, thanks. You left out one thing, BOURBON!

I have a friend on the RC shooting team, and he is also in the U.S. Army I am sure he has all the low down on the range. Red Brush in Newburgh, In. can shoot out to 600, little range in Clay, Ky. can go out to 350, and another in Providence, Ky. out to 260,

OK, looks like myself and KY338 are the "go to folks" for Rockcastle.

I have dropped KY338 an email, so hopefully we can combine our efforts and see what we can come up with.

As soon as we can get any type of an update, we will pass them along to everyone.

Please keep the feedback coming, Thanks,
M Richardson

PS: SuddenDeath, please add anything that you can, and/or have your friend join in.

Got the email.

Now waiting on Nick to return my call and get started.

Went to Park Mammoth Resort on Saturday, 27/05/2010. Girl at the front desk, I did not get her name, actually two were there neither knew anything about the 1000 range and only one spoke up, early 20s. She said Nick was not around and/or too busy but gave me his card. She informed me the 1000 yard range is not open yet to members or the public. She said it would open some time later this fall. Firearm and ammo vendors are all that is allowed to use the 1000 range. She said only members will be allowed to use it, it will not open to the public even on weekends. Currently only by appointment with Nick can you go to or see the 1000 range. She did not even know where it was. The other ranges are open to the public on weekends but only members can shoot during the week and require a 24 hour notice...does not include the 1000 range, once again she said it is not open to anyone yet and should not, could not or would not give me directions.

$100 for rifle and pistol single membership
$150 for rifle and pistol family membership
$10 per hour for rifle and pistol

Drove up the road 31W and found some other ranges. Looks like a long distance range is to the right of the main ranges, no one could or would confirm this but with no berm between them I would say not. Field was cut and bales were in the field and a road went back to the end, golf carts everywhere. Looks similar to the pictures here but more open.

From 65, take exit48 onto Hwy 225 south, at the T .1 miles, turn right south 31W and go to around milepost 5, cannot miss the range, it is in a wide open area with targets easily seen from the road.

125.4 miles from New Circle in Lex to the range parking area that I visited. I drove it just at 2 hours with a pit stop.

For the geeks, not the 1000 range:
N37 05 545
W86 05 569
Alt 611'

Not much help I know.

you will definately get some shooters coming up from alabama once this is up and running

For what its worth....I am originally from Glasgow, KY...about 15-20 miles from Park City. I go home about once every 3-4 months for a long weekend. If you guys begin shooting on a regular basis, let me know or keep me in the loop. I will bring my stick and maybe a few other guys from work. I can plan my trips around the range dates. Let me know!

Thanks!

Mark

I am still waiting to hear from NIck about the possibility of setting up a day for us all to go out and try out the range. Will keep this thread updated

I am still working on it guys. We are talking specifics. We are going to have to put up a new post and if you want in send in money and commit to showing up, as range space would be limited. As well as how many targets I can haul at once. steel is not light!

When I get it all straightened out I will make a new post and put the link to it here in this one.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KYshooter338$</div><div class="ubbcode-body">and if you want in send in money and commit to showing up, as range space would be limited. As well as how many targets I can haul at once. steel is not light! </div></div>

Is this the $100 membership fee or something else like a one time use fee. According to the hand out I got while there, the 1000 range is suppose to have reactive steel targets already there?

Trying to arrange a Hide shoot in Alaska proved difficult because everyone have a different day they could shoot. This is why I was thinking / hoping a Hide shoot could become a standard shoot so us with other obligations could come when we had the time. My grand babies are visiting in Oct, son is coming down in Dec, there is hunting season and of course ball games that I have been told take priority over a lot of things in bleed blue...not me though.

Anyway, waiting on the INTEL hopting this works out!

Thanks for taking point on this!

If I am able to go I have 3 stands with 5 pieces of steel we can use and it is ar500. Works great as long as no one shoots the chains.

We will also need some other large targets to help shooters get on target. Im sure many of us here dont have access to get good dope past 600yds.

The one time I got to shoot 900yds we used a white door to get on target. I can help with this as well if thought to be needed.

Thanks to everyone for there info and time to getting this going.

I wish this place was around when I lived in Nashville.

Definitely will check it out when we head down to visit the relatives.

Thanks for posting.

Hey all I'm a FNG here at the Hide and would like to attend any gathering in the TN, KY area to meet some of you guys. I'm in Nashville and look forward to shooting at the Mammoth.

well it is not this weekend. So if it is not next weekend then I am out ofthis dealio, as I am out of the army the 23rd and start the drive back to California then.

Oh well...

I'm still up for it. Scheduling for me may become a problem since I just picked up a part time job since state budget cuts have made schools cut back on subs, but I got a job where shooting guns is smiled upon. Watching and lurking.

These things take time to plan. Having 20+ shooters wanting to go takes A LOT of coordination. We are moving as fast as we can.

Im in as well, let me know a date when you get one thanks.

Dont know if it would help, but maybe a list of those willing to pay the annual membership fee would get them to get things rolling. If we have 30-50 hide members willing to pay, that would be instant money for them and would help them finish the range. I'm i nclarksville/ft campbell area and would have no problem driving there, although my skills arent ready for 1000, I am willing to watch and learn (and pay the memb fee). I'm sure a lot of the guys shooting at the montgomery county shooting complex would go also. And, havent been to the cave in 20 years or so.

Sorry for not getting back in here sooner, too much going on at the moment.

I have talked to Nick and the low down is things are happening with the development of the range, but progress is slow at the moment.

There is a chance that the range may be open to members or special events sometime in the Oct-Nov timeframe however the details have not been nailed down as of yet.

There are plans to setup a covered firing point with benches, and there will most likely be multiple options for targets.

I plan on meeting with Nick around the first of Oct to see what I can do to help with the process, and I will also stay in touch with KYShooter338 to see what we can work out for a Snipers Hide Shoot hopefully in late Oct or early Nov.

I would say the best thing to do at this point is keep checking back here, have a little patience, and hopefully things will start to happen in the near future.

As pointed out above, the first "official long range event" will be the Park Mammoth Sniper Challenge:
http://mammothsniperchallenge.com/

I will make sure that myself or KYShooter338 post any updates as soon as we can get them.

Thanks,
M Richardson

I will be in Lexington again Nov 8th -17th. I'll check here to get updates, but if nothing is posted here please let me know by pm if there will be a shoot during that time frame. Thanks
Lee

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chaser_2332</div><div class="ubbcode-body">is it comfirmed that yearly membership dues will be only $100?? </div></div>

That is what is on the handout I got while there in Aug that includes very limited intel on the 1000 range. Its Jan to Jan and she gave me the total prorated for the year but since I could not get any intel on the 1000 range or even go check it out I decided to not become a member. The handout states:

Opening fall 2010
500-1000 range
Reactive steel targets
Members only for the 1000 range....when I inquired about this, she told me only members will be allowed on the 1000 range and a 24 hour notice is required...The difference is, all other ranges are open to the public on the weekends for $10 per hour, mid week is for members only.

Sounds like this will turn into something good but of course will take some time and we are anxious to get out there. I wish they would release some sort of intel on their web though.

when I spoke to Nick I got the impression the members only deal is because he wants to make sure each person has some sort of an idea what they need to do to reach those distances.

So you do not have random gun store kid just aiming at the horizon shooting saying "I cant see my impacts, must have to aim higher"

Park city is the same distance (+/-3 miles) as I drive to get to the Montgomery County shooting complex's 400-yard range. I go to MGM Co 6-8 times a year. I might not need a 1000 yard range but four times a year but I'd pop for $100 a year because when you need 1000 yards, you <span style="text-decoration: underline">need</span> 1000 yards. All the TWRA-sponsored ranges also charge $100 for an annual membership, and few of them have anything beyond 200 yards.

AFAIK, in Tennessee, if you want 1000 yards, you have exactly three choices: Oak Ridge, AEDC and Milan (which is 1100 yards). AEDC and Milan are on military installations and AFAIK civilians can't get on them to shoot except when there's a match. Oak Ridge is a 2 1/2 hour drive for me.

Game, set and match, Park City.

But $10 an hour for anything shorter than 1000 yards is <span style="text-decoration: underline">steep</span>. The TWRA ranges, which are up to 400 yards, are $5.50 for two hours (and they don't watch the clock unless there's a queue waiting).