• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kerstral 5700 or Kilo 2400

ratton

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 21, 2009
Nevada
Just wondering. If I purchase a Sig Kilo 2400 I believe it has applied ballistics in it and works with a smart phone and the Sig 2400 range finder. If I already have an old Kestral 4500 without bluetooth or any ballistic software. What would be the pro's and con's to having just one device? The newer Kestral 5700 has Applied ballistic software. Thanks in advance.

I recently went through the same decision. For me, it came down to the fact that if I'm shooting a match or on a KD range, then my ballistic data is held hostage by the rangefinder. I'm not going to need to range every target, but I will need data for every target. I want to be able to check throughout the day because the temperature in the morning was 54, but the afternoon temp is 90, and I know all of the afternoon stages are 700yds+.

Given what you posted, I would get the Kilo 2400...

The system will work on your phone, you have environmental data from your old kestrel and the Kilo2400 is just awesome

Plus you get cool stuff in the kit

Reactions: nexusfire
I hope nobody minds if I necro-post here and bring this back up top.

I'm in a situation where I possess neither a Kestrel OR an LRF. Which would be the priority for purchasing first? The Kestrel wouldn't bind me to using an LRF on a KD stage or situation, but then I wouldn't have an LRF to use when I needed one. On the other hand, the Kilo 2400AB has the Weatherflow meter, so I'd essentially have all the data I'd need while using the meter with my phone, correct?

Is the Kestrel significantly better than what the Weatherflow will do for me as a learning shooter? I realize Kestrel is the benchmark in this area, but in an attempt to minimize expenditures, I'm hoping not to acquire both at the same time. Having both will ultimately be the end goal, but buying one at a time would permit me the funds needed to wrap up my build and afford ammo/match fees while I save for the other, whereas buying both at once would stump me for a bit until funds recovered. Thanks!

If your just learning, wait on both & buy more ammo. If you're at a match everyone will share the data with you. After a few match's you will have a better idea of what you need or want.

There are lots of used Kestrels on the market from guys upgrading to the 5700. Get a used 4500 for $200-300 so YOUR ballistic data is at hand, then save for the rangefinder.

From what I've seen, the 4500 hasn't received an update since 2015. If that's accurate, I'd likely pass on it for a newer, "still supported" model.

Another alternative would be a 5700AB Elite with a more "pedestrian" rangefinder like a 2200MR or maybe the new Nikon if it pans out to be as good as some think it will be. I don't need the ballistic calcs on both devices, so that may be another option.

Happy with my Kilo 2400
Couple things I wish:
Had 6.5 Prime 130 data
Used a Bluetooth enabled wind meter instead of the plug in

paint me a Kestrel fanboy :)

I prefer the Kestrel since I don't have to range a target to generate the data I need. Also the kestrels integrate currently with several laser devices, and more are on the way. From what I can tell, the current 5700 Kestrels will work with any of the new laser devices brought to market with BT integration, and there are several manufacturers actively working on that integration. That would give you the same results - lasing a target, data appearing on the kestrel, but let you manage the data in an easier fashion on the Kestrel vs the Kilo.

Also, with the new Multi Target feature of the Kestrels you can track 10 different targets on your Kestrel w/o having to use your phone...

- link to the video I took on the Kestrel Multi-Target - sorry about the crappy recording

Reactions: Holliday
Is it 10 targets, is this brand new, I was about to get a 5700 elite, but the 5 target it advertises was a - for me, I really needed 8

I think it was increased to ten, for match settings, by firmware update.

Kestrel 5700AB if I had to have just one. I love mine and the firmware update just keep making it better. It is one hell of a tool designed for hard field use. I’m really happy with mine.

I think the Sig has its application. I just don't want to have to lase targets just to get holds. Lase, then look it up. The mil did this with the PLRF25 and Trimble. Back then, I still used my PDA with ATRAG.