• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Kestral Manipulation - DA

Mo_Zam_Beek

Private
Minuteman
Jan 21, 2002
OR_GUN
Today I was at 3,200'+ elevation (true), the temp with the unit held directly into the wind was 98 degrees. If I set the unit down and did not allow wind to blow through the fan the temp went to 107. The difference in DA was 6,200 at 98 and 8,200 at 107.

Using a DA of 6,200 and running it through Ballistic FTE was 0.7 MIL high. Using a DA of 8,200 was still high by 0.3 MIL. The value of a MIL today was 29.7".

When folks are determining DA using these meters are you allowing the wind to influence the temp? Allowing it to influence in the cold only? No wind ever?

TIA

Re: Kestral Manipulation - DA

Setting it down is iincreasing the temp due to the surface heat of the object. Temp should be obtained holding the unit in open air out of direct sunlight, ideally at least a few feet above ground level. It does not matter if the impeller is moving, or even if the cover is open.

Re: Kestral Manipulation - DA

+ how are you calibrating the unit, I set my Baro off a airplanes altimeter and have never adjusted that again, you could use the 5 oclock weather report to get Baro, and I use GPS to tell me my altitude, using this method my DTAC cards have been spot on