• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestral question

spentbrass1

Private
Minuteman
May 24, 2021
portland or
So i just ordered a Vortex Fury HD 5000 Ab 10x42 rangefinder now i need to decide what Kestral do i need has anyone have any experience with this combo and have some advice

Technically speaking you don’t need one at all unless you just want a wind meter. Those have the full AB built in.

So i just ordered a Vortex Fury HD 5000 Ab 10x42 rangefinder now i need to decide what Kestral do i need has anyone have any experience with this combo and have some advice

AFAIK, You can just get one w Link and send environmental data directly to the binos.

Reactions: spentbrass1
I ran sheets and phone apps for years.

I finally got a great deal on a kestrel and its quite nice.
No worries about overheating phone or smashing it.
Works in all conditions and the wind can be pretty handy at times.

AB with LINK
Why AB w Link...he has AB in his binos, no?

Now, I do own an 4DOF Kestrel and have 4 DOF on my phone to work with Link so I have the option of using the phone app GUI (far preferable) or the Kestrel on unit interface/Kestral app. But, I'm a spendthrift! haha

Why AB w Link...he has AB in his binos, no?

Now, I do own an 4DOF Kestrel and have 4 DOF on my phone to work with Link so I have the option of using the phone app GUI (far preferable) or the Kestrel on unit interface/Kestral app. But, I'm a spendthrift! haha
Well, IMO its better to have onboard ballistics on the kestrel since we usually always have that. but what if i dont have the binos or he gets rid of them at some point.

Reactions: Baron23
Thanks for the info looks like the 2700 is the one i need time to shop around the RF is back ordered 4-8 weeks
2700 does not connect to anything but the Kestrel App. You will need to go to the 5700 level to get Link that connects to other devices. 5700s works great with the Fury. I use the Kestrel to process the holds, maybe the Vortex solver can do just as well, but I am more used to the Kestrel interface (and as Tactical Dilhole says, most likely you will keep your Kestrel, but will change out your binos as improvements are made). Best feature is that the Fury has a compass, and you get elevation and wind holds based on the new DOF sent from the Fury.

Just to clarify as I am researching range finder binos to pair with Kestrel 5700; are you saying the Fury transmits compass heading to the Kestrel? AFAIK this is the only bino rangefinder that does. The SIG Kilo 3000 does not and I haven't found where the Leica GeoVid 3200's say they do. If I'm wrong please correct me.

Just to clarify as I am researching range finder binos to pair with Kestrel 5700; are you saying the Fury transmits compass heading to the Kestrel? AFAIK this is the only bino rangefinder that does. The SIG Kilo 3000 does not and I haven't found where the Leica GeoVid 3200's say they do. If I'm wrong please correct me.
Kestrel® Solution in Fury®” is On (Kestrel® Mode)When the Kestrel® solution is set to “On,” the Kestrel® calculates the ballistic solution using the ballistic profile in the Kestrel® and the range, bearing, and angle data from the Fury® HD 5000 AB. The ballistic solution displayed on the Kestrel® is also displayed in the Fury® HD 5000 AB.

AFAIK the Leica and SIG don't have a compass.

Reactions: Jumper
Thanks for the confirmation. Really like the GeoVids but FFS, for the price they should include a compass. Vectronix Terrapin does it all but I would like binos. How's the glass on the Vortex Fury's?

Love the glass and the software it has exceeded my expectations. it is really a slick setup. I am a glass fanatic and I was able to watch trace well at practice and these have been great