• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

kestrel 4500 with Horus ATrag Ballistics software.

joemusso

The Brass annealer
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Oct 14, 2011
    Henderson, NV.
    i want to get a kestrel 4500 with Horus ATrag Ballistics. what i want to know is the Horus ATrag Ballistics software really necessary in precision shooting?

i have a remington .308 with a mil-mil scope. shooting 800-1000 yards max.
    i just want know where the software comes in to play. and if i really need it. factory loads.

thank you
    joe

Re: kestrel 4500 with Horus ATrag Ballistics software.

Like most of the accessories in our sport, if you have to ask the masses whether or not you need something...then in all likelihood, you do not need it. When your shooting requires the assistance of ballistic software, it will be abundantly clear.

With the Kestrel 4500 with Horus Atrag you don't need a chrono. There is a function called "drop truing" and in allows you to "teach" the machine how your ammo performs in actual atmospheric conditions.

I don't think you cannot do without it, but it is a handy thing. A lot of people use a simple Kestrel 4000 or 4500 and a PDA with ballistic SW, but this way you have it integrated into one machine.

The only problem I see with the Horus ATrag is, that the the manual is very brief and vague, especially with the !drop truing" function, so you have to experiment a little. But otherwise it is a good tool.

thank you Bugaboo. thats what i want to know.

all i wanted to know is where the software came in to play and then i will decide if i need it or not.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the Kestrel 4500 with Horus Atrag you don't need a chrono. There is a function called "drop truing" and in allows you to "teach" the machine how your ammo performs in actual atmospheric conditions.

I don't think you cannot do without it, but it is a handy thing. A lot of people use a simple Kestrel 4000 or 4500 and a PDA with ballistic SW, but this way you have it integrated into one machine.

The only problem I see with the Horus ATrag is, that the the manual is very brief and vague, especially with the !drop truing" function, so you have to experiment a little. But otherwise it is a good tool. </div></div>

In addition, the Kestrel screen may not be the best choice for displaying ballistic data. In other words, the Kestrel screen sucks,

I have seen in at matches here and it made the decision for me. I wanted just the Kestrel 4500, but after seeing it in action I decided to go all the way.

The screen is small, but for displaying the solution it is fine.

For the OP: it was my first season at matches and I realized that I am loosing not only with guys, who shoot for many years, but also with guys, who are worth marksmen than me, but the K4500+Horus adjusts for them for the atmospheric conditions.
    I want to learn and this instrument gives me all the data I need.
    I go to competitions to enjoy myself and it sucks to loose only because the other guy has a smarter machine.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bugaboo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">With the Kestrel 4500 with Horus Atrag you don't need a chrono. There is a function called "drop truing" and in allows you to "teach" the machine how your ammo performs in actual atmospheric conditions.</div></div>

Good to know, I know FFS will has a similar function but was unaware of the Horus. Looking to pick up FFS or ATRAG next (using patagonia now).

You can also enter multiple MVs for a load at different temperatures - it is either MV or drop truing under the given conditions. Like I said, the manual doesn't describe it very well, you have to play with it and find out.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: joemusso</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i want to get a kestrel 4500 with Horus ATrag Ballistics. what i want to know is the Horus ATrag Ballistics software really necessary in precision shooting?

i just want know where the software comes in to play. and if i really need it. factory loads. joe</div></div>

I have a Kestrel 4500 with Horus software. The main advantage of the combined weather meter and ballistic computer over non integrated weather meter+ ballistic calculator options is that it reduces the manual data entry. The only items which need to be manually entered at he time of the decision to take a shot are target distance and inclination if it's needed.

The problem with any ballistic computer and commercially available wind meter is that it only reads wind at the shooters location. If wind was constant over the trajectory that would be adequate, but it rarely is for long range shooting. A wind meter does not replace the skill of doping wind from plant movement, mirage, and other subtle downrange wind indicators even if it's single point reading is perfect. The horus can still be used for drop and spin drift if you do your own wind deflection estimates. The local wind is a useful part of that estimate.

The most accurate, simplest to use, and cheapest wind meter is the use of a spotting shot though conditions don't always allow using it.

I am jumping in to the discussion a bit late here...but a related question.

With some of the higher end Kestrels, I've seen a calibration kit offered for sale to calculate the relative humidity (I think). Has anyone ever purchased that additional calibration kit; and if so, any difference if you don't use it?

Thanks.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: mattyfire290</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am jumping in to the discussion a bit late here...but a related question.

With some of the higher end Kestrels, I've seen a calibration kit offered for sale to calculate the relative humidity (I think). Has anyone ever purchased that additional calibration kit; and if so, any difference if you don't use it?

Thanks.</div></div>
    I have the 4500NV meter but did not get the humidity calibration kit. Humidity is a small part of the air density calculation. As long as the meter is close to NOAA weather predictions for my location I wouldn't worry about calibration. The only reason I'd expect it to get out of calibration is if the hygrometer got soaked or otherwise contaminated.

The most important thing that's necessary to calibrate for shooting on the Kestrel 4500NV with Horus Atrag is the magnetic compass. Calibration instructions are in the Weather manual, not the Horus Atrag manual. Recalibration needs to be done if you change batteries or move to a different geographic location where magnetic north is significantly different from where it was last calibrated. See a magnetic declination map of your area.