• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite + Kestrel HUD + Terrapin X

Diabolus

Private
Minuteman
Mar 10, 2006
Southern California/Los Angeles
1587959002723.png
1587958930253.png
1587959028102.png

I currently own the Kestrel 5700 Elite and the Terrapin X. I'm very happy with the setup and find it to be incredibly useful. The Kestrel HUD looks interesting and I'm trying to get more information about the device.

I'd like to range on the Terrapin X and have the ballistics automatically update on the Kestrel HUD. One big question though, the Terrapin X is linked to the Kestrel 5700 and then does it link to the HUD?

I'm having trouble researching this on the web and hope someone either has the answer to this question, or possibly has this exact setup already.

Thanks

From what I was reading it seems like you connect both to your Kestrel and it does the communicating between everyone. I look forward to what Kestrel says on this since I want a HUD.

The HUD mirrors what the kestrel receives. So in theory, when you range with the Terrapin and it sends that to the Kestrel, it should display on the HUD simultaneously. But don’t take that as gospel, confirm with Kestrel themselves, they are a great company.

Reactions: kocustoms
Is there any advantage of using a hud over an old smartphone?

Smaller, lighter, better battery life, option for constant connection to the Kestrel for real time updates, Kestrel can talk to both your LRF and the HUD, HUD display is easily readable in direct sunlight.

I've been really happy with the HUD so far.

Reactions: Lite
Is there an option to have base wind speed displayed in the HUD via real-time update from the Kestrel 5700? Looking for an option where I can see/know wind speed without having to lift my face off the gun.

If I am understanding your question correctly, you would like real-time wind DISPLAYED on the HUD. This is not an option yet that I know of. If anyone else knows anything different, please enlighten us.

Reactions: Mr Flannel
Yes, place the 5700 in the wind vane and leave wind acquisition on and the Kestrel will update the HUD, there is some communication time so it may not be instant, but close.

I'm using the 5700 Elite, HUD and Terrapin X. Works fine but the connection (Bluetooth) drops at about 5 meters (HUD to 5700 in wind vane). I see the 5700X has a Bluetooth intensity adjustment (firmware 1.40).

1) Is this a feature you can add (signal boost) on 5700 Elite through a firmware update or it's new hardware in the 5700X (antenna, boost)?

2) What connection range (Bluetooth) can we expect with the 5700X to the HUD?

Thanks

I'm using the 5700 Elite, HUD and Terrapin X. Works fine but the connection (Bluetooth) drops at about 5 meters (HUD to 5700 in wind vane). I see the 5700X has a Bluetooth intensity adjustment (firmware 1.40).

1) Is this a feature you can add (signal boost) on 5700 Elite through a firmware update or it's new hardware in the 5700X (antenna, boost)?

2) What connection range (Bluetooth) can we expect with the 5700X to the HUD?

Thanks

There shouldn't be any Bluetooth difference between full power of the 5700X vs the 5700 Elite. You should be able to get at least 50 feet for the Bluetooth connection so I'm not sure why it is dropping the signal at 5 meters. If you are consistently seeing this drop off, it might be worthwhile to send it in to have us test it out.

Yes, place the 5700 in the wind vane and leave wind acquisition on and the Kestrel will update the HUD, there is some communication time so it may not be instant, but close.

I will be doing this exact thing next week on a PDog hunt in SD. Any estimates on battery life for this setup? I'm running Lithium batteries. I just installed a fresh one, and am taking lots of extras too just in case.

Reactions: Lite
I'm back from SD and can report that the Kestrel 5700 mounted in a wind vane + HUD + Terrapin worked flawlessly for my one buddy. The update time for the HUD after lasing a target with the Terrapin was less than 10 sec. In addition to providing target distance the Terrapin also includes direction of target/fire which is quite critical when dealing with steady 10-15mph winds.

As for the Kestrel 5700 it worked flawlessly mounted up in the wind vane providing real time data. Battery life was better than I was expecting, clocking in around at 15-16 hours while connected to a LRF, HUD, while feeding continuous wind data and plotting hundreds of firing solutions on PDogs.

I would like to thank whomever at Kestrel had the foresight to enable user editable range values via the buttons! It was a life saver for me when my LRF would routinely not communicate well with the Kestrel. I'm 100% certain it's a LRF issue NOT a Kestrel issue. Overall, my buddy's experience with the Terrapin was much better than mine using the Bushnell Nitro 1800 which always had to be "woken up", then reestablish the Kestrel connection, then update the HUD with firing solution.

Overall we were both extremely pleased with the 5700's performance in the wind vane and HUD integration!!

Picture of his setup below:

IMG_3989.jpg

I'm back from SD and can report that the Kestrel 5700 mounted in a wind vane + HUD + Terrapin worked flawlessly for my one buddy. The update time for the HUD after lasing a target with the Terrapin was less than 10 sec. In addition to providing target distance the Terrapin also includes direction of target/fire which is quite critical when dealing with steady 10-15mph winds.

As for the Kestrel 5700 it worked flawlessly mounted up in the wind vane providing real time data. Battery life was better than I was expecting, clocking in around at 15-16 hours while connected to a LRF, HUD, while feeding continuous wind data and plotting hundreds of firing solutions on PDogs.

I would like to thank whomever at Kestrel had the foresight to enable user editable range values via the buttons! It was a life saver for me when my LRF would routinely not communicate well with the Kestrel. I'm 100% certain it's a LRF issue NOT a Kestrel issue. Overall, my buddy's experience with the Terrapin was much better than mine using the Bushnell Nitro 1800 which always had to be "woken up", then reestablish the Kestrel connection, then update the HUD with firing solution.

Overall we were both extremely pleased with the 5700's performance in the wind vane and HUD integration!!

Picture of his setup below:

What spotting scope is that?

What spotting scope is that?

It's a Leupold Mark 4 Inverted H-32 model mounted in a Kinetic development group Optics Hub that is mounted upside down to the tripod via a Magpul M-Lok tripod adapter. Due to the inverted reticle and the stud hole being in the normal spot, we had to get creative for a mounting solution!!