• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 Elite vs the new 5700x

cbfcf

Private
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2013
I guys, I’m looking for some advice. I decided to finally pull the trigger and buy the Kestrel Elite w/Link. I was shopping around hoping to find a good price when I learned that Kestrel just released the 5700X. The company provided this description as the difference between the Elite and the X, “The same accuracy and reliability as the industry gold standard 5700 Elite, the 5700X packs more performance power to deliver faster firing solutions in the field for multiple extreme long-range targets.” The 5700X retails at $849.
In determining which one to buy I need your help. I have a few questions to help me determine if it’s worth the extra $150 to me.

- Anybody have any hands on experience with the 5700x?
- Is the existing 5700 Elite slow?
- How long does it take for the 5700 Elite to deliver “firing solutions”?
- Anything I’m missing here?

Link to 5700X product page.
https://kestrelballistics.com/kestrel-5700x-elite-weather-meter-with-applied-ballistics

thanks
-C

Last edited:
So far I can't justify the $190 to upgrade from the Sportman's model I got for $250. Definitely don't see the 5700x being worth $850.

Reactions: GhostFace
I kind of chuckled when I read the announcement about the new 5700X...I never found the Elite's speed an issue.

Marketing 101...5700X is twice as fast as the 5700 Elite

Reality...the 5700 Elite spits out a solution in 1 millisecond....the 5700X will, therefore, spit out the solution in 0.5 milliseconds...hmmmm....that is worth $150....yeah right.

Reactions: E. Bryant
It has an adjustable bluetooth signal... Maybe they were trying to get a unit so it does not drop signal from the Leica products....My 5700ab is plenty fast already

I have the elite, In range the target, and the data is on it, I have never had to wait on the 5700............I can't imagine anything being faster........

Seems more like the X should have just been an update the the Elite, rather than a way to extract more $$ from the customer for basically the same thing. Nice to have, but really not worth the extra cash, to me.

I have the 5700x for my personal and a 5700 elite for work. The 5700x does give you a quicker firing solution which for multiple moving targets in my line of work is crucial. The Bluetooth is better in my opinion. I have the ability to turn it up or down based on where I’m working since Bluetooth tracking is a hot topic. But that also means I can operate one kestrel for multiple shooters since our data is similar and use my 3200.com from a distance. Kestrel said the Bluetooth is the same in both models, but my 5700 drops the signal within about 2 feet and I can use my 5700x from about 10ft.

Seems more like the X should have just been an update the the Elite, rather than a way to extract more $$ from the customer for basically the same thing. Nice to have, but really not worth the extra cash, to me.

It is a faster processor, isn't just a software change.

I have the 5700x for my personal and a 5700 elite for work. The 5700x does give you a quicker firing solution which for multiple moving targets in my line of work is crucial. The Bluetooth is better in my opinion. I have the ability to turn it up or down based on where I’m working since Bluetooth tracking is a hot topic. But that also means I can operate one kestrel for multiple shooters since our data is similar and use my 3200.com from a distance. Kestrel said the Bluetooth is the same in both models, but my 5700 drops the signal within about 2 feet and I can use my 5700x from about 10ft.

The BT differences are interesting, I wonder if it is a physically different radio or or just driver/setting tweaks. The CPU itself is different is the BT radio as well?

The BT differences are interesting, I wonder if it is a physically different radio or or just driver/setting tweaks. The CPU itself is different is the BT radio as well?

Kestrel posted that it was the same in both units. I’ve called them also to ask again, I don’t know if still a leica issue. I’ve updated all the work kestrels and they all have the same connectivity issues. I have to watch when and where I operate the Bluetooth because of the “sniffers”

Yeah but hardware isn't a free upgrade is my counter point there. Do you "need" it now? Probably not. Are there other retroactive software BT fixes? That is an interesting question.

If you buy a new computer today, it almost certainly has 'more/better/faster' processor performance. But you're probably paying the same, or less, than you did for the one you bought five years ago. It isn't about upgrading someone's existing product that's already in the field, that's a software thing.
I suspect this is just a clock speed bump, not a core product redesign. A faster processor doesn't necessarily translate to higher cost to manufacture, in what is essentially the same product design. I used to work as a product manager at a computer manufacturer, I actually do have some basis for my observation. And maybe I'm wrong, maybe it's more than clock - but I doubt it.

Kestrel posted that it was the same in both units. I’ve called them also to ask again, I don’t know if still a leica issue. I’ve updated all the work kestrels and they all have the same connectivity issues. I have to watch when and where I operate the Bluetooth because of the “sniffers”
I believe the lieca issues are on lieca, they fixed the 2800.com issues in fw, I have no desire issues any different than other BT devices. Someone mentioned the 3200.com issues are mechanical design of where the BT antenna is placed.

I wish they went with a no Impeller, using a sonic meter,

if they were gonna upgrade, it should have been bolder, sonic meter, bigger screen, etc.

the sonic meters with solar panels can be disconnected from the unit, Bluetooth off the device and gives the users a remote possibility, much better idear

This guy is small, would have been a winner

I wish they went with a no Impeller, using a sonic meter,

if they were gonna upgrade, it should have been bolder, sonic meter, bigger screen, etc.

the sonic meters with solar panels can be disconnected from the unit, Bluetooth off the device and gives the users a remote possibility, much better idear

This guy is small, would have been a winner
If that's an "innee" and you're inside that's where you be stayin.' Looks too much like a electromagnetic spectralgraphic door knob; that'll fix the sniffers sho' nuff...

So far I can't justify the $190 to upgrade from the Sportman's model I got for $250. Definitely don't see the 5700x being worth $850.
slightly off topic but is it worth upgrading to a kestrel with applied ballistics if you have the Applied Ballistics App on your mobile device?

slightly off topic but is it worth upgrading to a kestrel with applied ballistics if you have the Applied Ballistics App on your mobile device?
I used the shooter app before and it worked but not having to rely on my phone for ballistics is nice. Dedicated interface

Using the 2400ABS and/or the 3000BDX everything that shows on the Kestrel shows in the LED readout of the rangefinder. Including the ballistic solution. Essentially they communicate both ways; environmental-Kestrel, ballistics-Kestrel (& rangefinder depending which it is) ballistics-rangefinder, display-both Kestrel & RF. I know the former from experience; although I've read and heard the .com Leicas (3200 & 3500) do the same and have, in addition, Leica's own ballistic programs internally (to 800 yards) as well as access to the Kestrel AB stuff. Also, there's an option wherein one can input their own ballistics via SD card and/or phone app for instant use. Neither Internet nor cell service is necessary as the info resides in the phone or SD card.

Last edited:
Using the 2400ABS and/or the 3000BDX everything that shows on the Kestrel shows in the LED readout of the rangefinder. Including the ballistic solution. Essentially they communicate both ways; environmental-Kestrel, ballistics-Kestrel (& rangefinder depending which it is) ballistics-rangefinder, display-both Kestrel & RF. I know the former from experience; although I've read and heard the .com Leicas (3200 & 3500) do the same and have, in addition, Leica's own ballistic programs internally (to 800 yards) as well as access to the Kestrel AB stuff. Also, there's an option wherein one can input their own ballistics via SD card and/or phone app for instant use. Neither Internet nor cell service is necessary as the info resides in the phone or SD card.
I was unaware that the 2400 ABS talked to Kestrel 5700...at least I can not seem to get mine to link?

My 2400ABS displayed what the Kestrel 5700 Elite w/LiNK sent--and the reverse--how else would the Kestrel arrive at ballistic solutions without a RF's range? That range shows on the Kestrel's screen as does it's own calculations and in both the 2400ABS and the 3000BDX. The difference is that the Kestrel is the base for all ABS after selecting ABX (beyond the 800 yard maximum AB Lite resident in the 3000BDX) whereas in the 2400ABS the full ABS is resident. In either case only the second (possibly first) most important observation--wind--resides in the Kestrel alone. That information is obtained only where the Kestrel's wind prop--either being rotated manually or in its vane/mount--is located. Hopefully this helps.

Does anyone have the USB data cable that is required for the upgrade that they would be willing to loan out? I am cheap and really don't want to spend $60 on a cable that I will only use once.

I never considered my 5700 elite slow... its the only kestrel ive ever had though... But when using my sig bino's to range, its fast... By the time I range, and set them down, the kestrel has already updated with my adjustments.

I was hoping for a 5800 or something "next gen" maybe with larger display, longer battery life, etc. The 5700x seems like an incremental increase. I guess the good news is we might see some better "deals" on the 5700 Elite which is still a great model. I have the Ballistic version which is essentially the Elite but with limited profile uploads and some minor features removed, but I think I will be selling the Ballistic and purchasing the 5700 Elite so I can load more profiles.

I was hoping for a 5800 or something "next gen" maybe with larger display, longer battery life, etc. The 5700x seems like an incremental increase. I guess the good news is we might see some better "deals" on the 5700 Elite which is still a great model. I have the Ballistic version which is essentially the Elite but with limited profile uploads and some minor features removed, but I think I will be selling the Ballistic and purchasing the 5700 Elite so I can load more profiles.
Why sell it? You can upgrade it and it's way cheaper than buying a new Elite.🤷🏾‍♂️

Why sell it? You can upgrade it and it's way cheaper than buying a new Elite.🤷🏾‍♂️
Actually it's not cheaper, cost to upgrade is $300, seems like resale is about $300-$350 for the ballistic units which puts it over what I can pick up a new 5700 Elite for.

I think the bottleneck is the bluetooth comm protocol, that 1-2 second latency between my lrf and kestrel is an eternity! By the time a solution shows up on my display, the wind has changed direction and speed, the tectonic plate shifts and distance to the target has changed by a few thousandths of an inch, the gravitational effect of the lunar cycle has changed and my firing solution is no longer valid.

Reactions: plamia2
I own a Leica 2800.com and wanted to buy the 5700X. Will they work together fine or do I need to upgrad the LRF?