• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 elite

Boon20

Smart like shovel
Minuteman
Feb 7, 2019
Saskatchewan, Canada
Im looking to upgrade to a kestrel 5700 elite i have two options either with or without link so i would like to ask anyone with that model is the link worth the price or not?

I haven't used it to link with rangefinders or anything but being able to connect it to a phone or tablet is useful. Way easier to go through and add/change profiles with a tablet.

Reactions: OLD308
Go with the link version. The ability to move gun profiles between a phone and the device is worth it, as is the ability to pair to a rangefinder.

Reactions: OLD308
Link is nice. Easy to change inputs on the phone or tablet. Glad I bought the link model.

With Link. The ability to pair with other devices, and to install updates, transfer gun profiles, etc is worth the extra cost.

A Kestrel in no way is a must have item. You can do effectively the same for far cheaper. But, Kestrels are cool, convenient, time tested, and just plain handy. The benefit to me is it effectively eliminated the need for a chronograph, and doping ranges manually. Just do your load development, guess at the velocity, zero at 100 yard, then true at distance. Continue to true in varying weather conditions. Copy and print range/condition cards to keep in you bag as a back up.

Your not missing anything if your not shooting at distance with variable conditions and multiple rifles. Hope this helps.

Honestly I would get the 5500 WITH link and save the money. Kestral AB are a pain in the ass and I'm glad i sold my 4500AB before the price dropped out. The link is def worth it and makes connecting to other devices way easier.

The 5700 will be obsolete in a few years and will be worth a fraction what it is now. The AB kestrals are a poor investment IMO.

I'm using applied ballistics app on my phone. The only info I ever really need for it to spit out good numbers is pressure altitude and temperature. Wind is what it is out here, constantly variable. Is there any reason to get a kestrel? Never used one and not sure what I'm missing.
You could always go with one of these: https://kestrelmeters.com/products/kestrel-drop-d3-ballistics

They are $130 and will get you close enough .

100% get the Link. Makes sending data profiles to and from the phone / kestrel instant... And using phone apps, referencing the kestrel.

Would not get one without it.

A Kestrel in no way is a must have item. You can do effectively the same for far cheaper. But, Kestrels are cool, convenient, time tested, and just plain handy. The benefit to me is it effectively eliminated the need for a chronograph, and doping ranges manually. Just do your load development, guess at the velocity, zero at 100 yard, then true at distance. Continue to true in varying weather conditions. Copy and print range/condition cards to keep in you bag as a back up.

Your not missing anything if your not shooting at distance with variable conditions and multiple rifles. Hope this helps.
Its very helpful im looking to get one asap

Just picked up one of the Kestrel Elite Weather Meter w/ Applied Ballistics LINK... Was just under 700 on Amazon.

Honestly I would get the 5500 WITH link and save the money. Kestral AB are a pain in the ass and I'm glad i sold my 4500AB before the price dropped out. The link is def worth it and makes connecting to other devices way easier.

The 5700 will be obsolete in a few years and will be worth a fraction what it is now. The AB kestrals are a poor investment IMO.
Do you think the 4500 is still a worthy pickup? Im looking at them aside from sticker shock I know I'm going to want to use one. Im new to the long range side of shooting.

Do you think the 4500 is still a worthy pickup? Im looking at them aside from sticker shock I know I'm going to want to use one. Im new to the long range side of shooting.

The Elite model has the following advantages over the Sportsman: DSF Calibration, AB Custom Drag Models, 5 Targets vs 1 Target, 16 Weapons vs 3 Weapons, Range Card (Sportsman does not have a range card), More detailed Ballistics Screen, and Zero Offset. The Elite model has a detailed ballistics screen, the Sportsman only displays basic information. Also on the Ballistics App, a Sportsman Unit doesn't have not Multi-Target or Custom Drag Curves. Only the Elite Unit has Access to these features. The new sportsman is more accurate than the old sportsman when looking at firing solutions inside the supersonic range of the bullet. The Sportsman does now calculate Coriolis, Aerodynamic Jump, and Spin Drift. Unlike the K4500 Sportsman which does not.

Just a quick blob of info pulled from them directly, I suggest you read this!

The Elite model has the following advantages over the Sportsman: DSF Calibration, AB Custom Drag Models, 5 Targets vs 1 Target, 16 Weapons vs 3 Weapons, Range Card (Sportsman does not have a range card), More detailed Ballistics Screen, and Zero Offset. The Elite model has a detailed ballistics screen, the Sportsman only displays basic information. Also on the Ballistics App, a Sportsman Unit doesn't have not Multi-Target or Custom Drag Curves. Only the Elite Unit has Access to these features. The new sportsman is more accurate than the old sportsman when looking at firing solutions inside the supersonic range of the bullet. The Sportsman does now calculate Coriolis, Aerodynamic Jump, and Spin Drift. Unlike the K4500 Sportsman which does not.

Just a quick blob of info pulled from them directly, I suggest you read this!

Sweet! I appreciate it. Im not going to pretend I know what all those terms mean, but ill learn.

Sweet! I appreciate it. Im not going to pretend I know what all those terms mean, but ill learn.
I came to the decision to just get the top model of. Im not sure what your budget is, but I'd rather have every tool I can instead of compromising.

Bookmark this site as well

^ Also a good read

Reactions: Jcarpenter223
I came to the decision to just get the top model of. Im not sure what your budget is, but I'd rather have every tool I can instead of compromising.

Bookmark this site as well

^ Also a good read
I will most likely get the 5700 elite, just wanted to learn more about the features and why id need them.

Got that page already bookmarked. ?

I just bought a 5700 elite, and just learning how to use it. So far it is great.

Mike, Semper Fi!

I just got a 5700 to replace my 4500 that the compass finally failed on. I chose to go without the link. I have never used the BT on the 4500 and the price difference was around $200. I have always input my data in manually and trust my numbers completely, so I don't need the custom curves. I really hate having a phone/tablet out at a match so, I will never use the phone app anyway. I also don't have a BT rangefinder and entering ranges is super simple.

Interestingly, the calculations for spin drift and a few other things are pretty dramatically different from the 4500 that I have. The 5700 doesn't have the option to enter bullet length (like the 4500 does) and shows more spin drift on the windage side, but the same on the elevation side. Also it shows DA about 1000 ft higher than my 5 year old 4500 (one of them needs calibration I guess).

The screen alone makes the the 4500 damn near unusasable. Piss poor contrast and washed out in light makes it unreadable. The battery box is also redesigned so it doesn't fry your chip.