• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 firmware update

Coy-killa

Private
Minuteman
Feb 20, 2017
Edina Mo
Hello all,

I have had my kestrel for 2 years and haven’t done an update in a while. It’s a 5700 kestrel with Link running firmware rev 1.15. I am trying to update from an iPhone 11 through the “Kestrel LiNK Ballistics”. The app wants to update to rev 1.27 which is a big jump. I am hoping I’m not too far out of date to get this done. Below are two screen shots of the messages I receive. The first is to acknowledge the update need, and the second is the error I get. When I watch the kestrel I see the Bluetooth sign or watch on setting and see it has a connected status. Until about 5% and retrieving gun profiles, it loses connection.
I haven’t seen any discussions around this. Please send help!

B82F438F-E195-4148-ABC1-BAF04281A258.png

E38C7D60-BE73-4C8E-AF49-2B5B31862DA4.png

Had the same issue with mine. Disconnected from wifi, reconnected and then it worked for some reason. I have also had issues whenever trying to perform the update and using cellular data (no wifi). So make sure your wifi is working good. Dont know if it will help you at all. But i had the same messages and it worked for me.

Reactions: seansmd
Had the same issue with mine. Disconnected from wifi, reconnected and then it worked for some reason. I have also had issues whenever trying to perform the update and using cellular data (no wifi). So make sure your wifi is working good. Dont know if it will help you at all. But i had the same messages and it worked for me.

i tried what you said and had no luck. I tried wifi only, cell data only, both, restarted phone and restarted kestre. It’s not going any further. Thanks for your quick reply.

Few things I always do is close out all other apps, put my phone in airplane mode then manually turn on wifi and bluetooth only, make sure the phone is plugged into a charger. If you have a secondary or backup ios device like another phone or ipad you could try dumping your saved rifle profiles on one of them then delete the profiles on the Kestrel also after that you could try doing a factory reset on the Kestrel then try updating the firmware. I have noticed that when I don't have any saved rifle profiles on the Kestrel the updates seem to go a lot quicker........Good Luck!

Few things I always do is close out all other apps, put my phone in airplane mode then manually turn on wifi and bluetooth only, make sure the phone is plugged into a charger. If you have a secondary or backup ios device like another phone or ipad you could try dumping your saved rifle profiles on one of them then delete the profiles on the Kestrel also after that you could try doing a factory reset on the Kestrel then try updating the firmware. I have noticed that when I don't have any saved rifle profiles on the Kestrel the updates seem to go a lot quicker........Good Luck!
Factory reset was the trick! It only took 25 minutes following the rest of your suggestions as well. Has anyone had it prohibit updates because the kestrel didn’t have enough battery?

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Has anyone had it prohibit updates because the kestrel didn’t have enough battery?
That is another good point....I always make sure I have a fresh battery when doing a firmware update. If the battery went tits up in the middle of the firmware update I don't know if the Kestrel would resort back to its last fully installed firmware or if it would turn it into a cool paper weight.

I'll add that the easiest way to ensure smooth FW updates is to drop the coin on the optical-to-USB cable. I can do FW updates in well under 5 minutes using that cable and the desktop application.

Hollywood once I got it going the update was easy enough. My issue for now is getting gun profiles from the iPhone app to the kestrel. I haven’t had time to mess too much with that.

I’m having a similar problem, at first I was stuck where the OP was but at 2% and it locked up. Now my phone doesn’t recognize my kestrel. When I tried to manually enter my Kestrels pin it said it was invalid. I have rebooted the phone, airplane mode, connected to my hot spot, ran off the phones internet and turned on and off the Bluetooth to the phone and kestrel. I can’t get it to connect, any suggestions?

Reactions: Coy-killa
I’m having a similar problem, at first I was stuck where the OP was but at 2% and it locked up. Now my phone doesn’t recognize my kestrel. When I tried to manually enter my Kestrels pin it said it was invalid. I have rebooted the phone, airplane mode, connected to my hot spot, ran off the phones internet and turned on and off the Bluetooth to the phone and kestrel. I can’t get it to connect, any suggestions?
1 go to the Kestrel and turn PIN off.
2 go into airplane mode in phone.
3 try to connect again.

Let me know if this still is no go.

I recently bought one of the CONX Bushnell/Kestrel combos off of Amazon. I think the Kestrel's FW out of the box was 1.02, and getting to the current FW required a little trial and error...

Link Ballistics app could fetch the name of the Kestrel, but absolutely refused to connect. I then installed the Link Weather app. It would connect, and it was able to get the Kestrel to FW 1.13, although I believe it took two updates to get there.

At this point, Link Ballistics could connect, but the next update would fail exactly as the OP experienced. Now, all I have at home is 4G LTE, so I took the Kestrel and my phone to McDonald's and used their WIFI. That did the trick for Link Ballistics to get it to 1.27, but it wouldn't go further. Knowing 1.27 was the important one for retaining gun profiles, etc, I was content to set the unit up at that point.

A few days later, Link Ballistics notified its readiness for another update, and it took it to 1.36, while connected via 4G. I'm assuming any further updates will be smooth sailing.

I experienced the same thing from my CONX Bushnell/Kestrel combo from Amazon. I called Kestrel support and they were kind enough to send me a USB Dongle free of charge. I'm at FW 1.27 and it works great. Might upgrade to Elite in the future , but now I am linked to the Kestrel ballistics and weather app. The current Amazon deal @ 409$ is a great deal .Even cheaper with CC points. Kudos to Corrie @ Kestrel for her support and patience.
As previous posters have stated, your phone should be on a charger and Kestrel ready with a new battery installed. The Conex from Bushnell I like because it gives slope angle to the Kestrel Which my older Leica does not. Good deal from Amazon overall.

Last edited:
Reactions: GhostFace
Heads up, the Amazon deal is no longer a deal. 541$ for the combo now.