• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Kestrel 5700 Hornady 4DOF - Worth it?

EastCOYotes

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Feb 10, 2019
Idalia Colorado
Looking at investing in a 4DOF kestrel, would I be hamstringing myself and eventually want an elite with applied ballistics? In my match gun I shoot handloaded hornady 140 ELDMs and the 4DOF app calculates my dope perfectly.

I figure as long as I shoot hornady bullets I’d be in good shape but for some of my hunting rifles shooting Berger bullets I’d just need to use the G1/G7 calculator.

I have the sig Kilo 3000BDX nocs so I’m attracted to the Bluetooth compatibility between those and the Kestrel

I bought the 4DOF Kestrel during the preorder. It's really a decent calculator. Most of the bullets I use are in their library, which is really helpful. If you know going in that it isn't the Elite (nor are you paying the extra $$$), you can decide if it's something you want.

You do not have the ability to generate a range card. You are also limited to 3 gun profiles in the instrument, but the Link app does allow you to store as many as you want. It takes about thirty seconds to swap profiles between the app and the Kestrel. The 4DOF calculator works fine. I have the previous model Kestrel with AB and my solutions are within 0.1 mils of each other beyond 1000. Within 950 or so, they're only off by a few hundredths of a mil.

I don't know which rangefinders can connect to the AB Elite, but I think there are only three that can connect to the 4DOF; the 2800.com, the Bushnell 1 mile CONX, and if I remember correctly, the Terrapin X.

Personally, I'm happy with the 4DOF. I don't need my rangefinder to talk to my Kestrel, but having the range card and additional profile slots would really be handy, which I thought the 4DOF would have when I preordered.