• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel 5700 w/ Hornady 4DOF

FYI - pre-order since they do not charge until they are ready to ship.
That’s what they said but I was charged several days later. Got my hopes up thinking it was shipping. Think I’m like preorder number 20

Well when I did my preorder there was no place to input my CC so they can charge me. Whne I contated them they said the will reach out for payment.

Same thing here. After I called they said they would reach back out to me with the billing details. Surprised JLP83 was able to provide a credit card number.

Due to the web site being new, there were a few ups and downs on pre-orders. The process is you place a "holding" order. When the meters are ready, sales will call for the payment info or send a payment link. Once we have payment we will process their order. When it ships you will get an invoice emailed and it will also have the tracking number. Still looks like right around the middle of June.

Reactions: JLP83
For now we are just focused on getting the Hornady Kestrel out successfully. nothing beyond that is in the works.

Let me ask this in a slightly different way. I realize you are not talking about the potential for a future elite version being offered for Hornady - so what I'd rather know the answer to - is the hardware capable of supporting the same functionality as the 5700 Elite AB version? Whether or not you choose to offer a firmware update later for purchase to enable it - is it a possibility, in the event you _do_ end up offering an elite version for sale?

I'm asking as I suspect you will, in the future, offer this upgrade, and rather than needing to resell then re-buy a Kestrel, I'd prefer to be able to pay for an upgrade delivered via firmware update. If you never develop an elite version, I recognize it will not become available - I'm just wanting to ensure the hardware would support it, in the event you do.

Let me ask this in a slightly different way. I realize you are not talking about the potential for a future elite version being offered for Hornady - so what I'd rather know the answer to - is the hardware capable of supporting the same functionality as the 5700 Elite AB version? Whether or not you choose to offer a firmware update later for purchase to enable it - is it a possibility, in the event you _do_ end up offering an elite version for sale?

I'm asking as I suspect you will, in the future, offer this upgrade, and rather than needing to resell then re-buy a Kestrel, I'd prefer to be able to pay for an upgrade delivered via firmware update. If you never develop an elite version, I recognize it will not become available - I'm just wanting to ensure the hardware would support it, in the event you do.

I am told by the technical team that an Elite version of the Hornady Kestrel is possible with the current hardware. Again, it is under discussion, but I doubt any decisions will be made before the roll-out of the initial product. Note the Sportsman and 5700 are both up-gradable to the Elite so there is precedent, it is just too early for the decision.

I am told by the technical team that an Elite version of the Hornady Kestrel is possible with the current hardware. Again, it is under discussion, but I doubt any decisions will be made before the roll-out of the initial product. Note the Sportsman and 5700 are both up-gradable to the Elite so there is precedent, it is just too early for the decision.

That's all I needed to know, thanks! Looking forward to the release, I pre-ordered on day 1 so hopefully the next week or two go by quickly and we get these in our hands!

Any info on if the 4Dof app will support left twist barrels? I get that you can shut off spin and atmo effects, but seems like a small thing that should be there.

Clearly I’m an idiot, I couldn’t see it on the phone app. I’ll have to check again.

Thanks for replying @Kestrel Ballistics . I have a 5700 sportsman now. I only use it for the environmentals now, but if there is the ability to upgrade it to the hornady app, i will use it exclusively. Here's to hoping..

Just got the notice from Kestral. They will start shipping on the 17th
PER KESTREL "As you are most likely aware, we had a planned ship release date of June 17th. We hold a very high standard on our products and refuse to send a unit that we feel is not fully ready for our valued customer. We have therefore delayed the release for one week while we perfect the final product. We expect to ship on Monday, June 24th."

Reactions: M113A3
I got the invoice with a tracking number this morning but it's still not active, so probably going out later today or tomorrow.

I only use Hornady (through Copper Creek) but it seems like dumbed this down compared to the AB unit, at least based on their charts. Am I missing something, can you upgrade it later maybe?

I only use Hornady (through Copper Creek) but it seems like dumbed this down compared to the AB unit, at least based on their charts. Am I missing something, can you upgrade it later maybe?
It has less features than the AB version but it's significantly less money also.

See post #110 in this very thread.

I got the invoice with a tracking number this morning but it's still not active, so probably going out later today or tomorrow.
I got the invoice this morning, checked the tracking number a couple of times, hasn't been active. Just got an email a few minutes ago verifying, with a delivery date of 7/2.

[Edit: just shipped. ETA July 3rd. Can't wait!)

On another note, the description for Kestrel Ballistic app on Android still says for AB only, is this still the right app for the 4DOF version? Trying to pre-load so I'm ready to go when the meter does eventually arrive. The Kestrel Link app doesn't look like it's had updates in quite some time.

Last edited:
Just recieved mine. When I went to update the app(android), lost all my profiles. I like the color. Won't get to the range core a couple days to try it out.

Attachments

• 20190627_203036.jpg
    20190627_203036.jpg
    588.8 KB · Views: 100
Bummer. It does look good, hope they can sort your unit out quickly.

So more importantly, how much do you hold when you have an intruder 13' across the living room with the thermostat set to 70 degrees with an hvac vent speed of 5.5mph at an upward 45 degree angle? :LOL:

Reactions: Who?Me?
So more importantly, how much do you hold when you have an intruder 13' across the living room with the thermostat set to 70 degrees with an hvac vent speed of 5.5mph at an upward 45 degree angle? :LOL:
If you've met ThisGuy's dogs, you'd know the answer . . . it wouldn't matter.

Took the Hornady Kestrel out this am and had first round hits at 520 yds second round hits at 918yds and 965yds with my 6BR using of all things the one berger 243 bullet that is in the solver (the 105 hybrid) I have switched over to the 108eldm but had those loaded. I had my wind direction off a little I need the weather vane now lol. Works good, although I had some kind of stupid weird error where it literally took 30 times to connect to my Pixel 3, then all of the sudden decided to work...

Connected good with my Bushnell ConX rangefinder (which I will probably put in the equipment exchange later today...a leica found its way to my doorstep, although havent tried to connect it or know if it will :) ).