• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Advanced Marksmanship Kestrel "crosswind" value?

Glocksig

Private
Minuteman
Jan 25, 2009
VA
I finally got around to sitting down with my Kestrel 4500 to get it set up.

My questions is if there is any value to the "crosswind" reading. If you set your heading it will display a crosswind value relative to your heading. Can this be easily translated into 1/4, 1/2 and full value readings?

I'm inclined to think it's just easier to point the thing into the wind and make your directional call based on the angle the unit is turned but I don't really have any time on the unit so maybe there's a better way..

Re: Kestrel "crosswind" value?

If the wind is the same over the full range of the shot, crosswind value is the full value wind, no need to look at the heading or compute 1/4 or 1/2. The crosswind value is the side component corrected for the angle of the wind.

Sadly, the wind is rarely at the same angle or speed over very much range.

So if I'm following, it's taking that reading, regardless (except for true head or tailwind) of direction and essentially "converting" it into a true 90 degree crosswind equivalent?

Correct. If you have a full tailwind or headwind, the crosswind will read 0. That's what the crosswind function does, it computes the wind triangle to the equivilent crosswind velocity.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: CoryT</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Correct. If you have a full tailwind or headwind, the crosswind will read 0. That's what the crosswind function does, it computes the wind triangle to the equivilent crosswind velocity.</div></div>

That's pretty cool....I'm gonna have to break down and get one of those things.

Well kiss my a** and call me Susan. That's outstanding. Now I just have to find the best way to reset the heading between shots. Not totally smooth with the interface yet.

My 4500 will be here tomorrow. We are going to the TX Panhandle for some high angle shoot training on Friday. I am really looking forward to putting it through its paces. I almost settled for the 4000 but glad I forked out the dough for the 4500.

we have a couple at work, both the 4500 and 4500NV, the nv is supposed to help preserve your natural night vision. I have used them both at night and there was no real advantage to the nv. At work we use them for some instruments that need weather data, mine has seen most of its use beside my rifle
laugh.gif
including 2 trips to RO. in fact it was there that i first tried the crosswind feature, every time though before i could get started, others with their regular kestrels had already taken note of the wind by holding their kestrels into the wind. its kinda cool that it has a compass though...i dont know if i would bet my life on the compass, while the calibration procedure is easy, it does need re-calibration often. if it were my money i wouldnt buy the 4500. but cka you have already done it...

I bought the 4500NV because they didn't have a 5000..lol

Oh well.

for those of us looking to get one what would be the best choice, that is for a shooting situation from 600 to 1200 yds?
Thanks for the input
Bill

Lol. You know I tried to contact kestrels eng dept about a 5000 model, it would feature integrated ballistic software that autmatically updated your dope based on the current weather conditions

They accidentally shipped two 4500NVs to me in the same box. I was going to send you the extra one since yours has been giving you so much trouble. But then I heard the ice cream man and I went running outside, slipped, and the Kestrel slid under the ice cream truck and got smashed. Oh well, it is my thought that counts.

The other one works perfect!

for actual station pressure you need to know your elevation above sea level at that height correct ??? separate from density altitude

running? i know you don't run for anythign maybe this is what happened...you were on your back in the living room floor, legs in the air using the kestrel to measure the wind speed of your farts when you heard the ice cream man.. you rolled into a seated position to get to your feet, and crushed the kestrel. thanks man.