• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel Help

TmisterE

Private
Minuteman
Feb 14, 2017
Washington
I'm going to purchase my first Kestrel and am looking at the 5500 with link and the 5700 ballistics meters, these are both the same price, is there an advantage to the 5700 over the 5500, I have Shooter ballistics app on the phone, will these two meters function the same with the app, the 5700 can be updated later to the elite, just trying to make the right informed decision before spending the $400.00.

Although I understand the desire to spend less money, in the Kestrel meters, I'm not sure the cost savings is worth the features you are giving up. I have and used to use Shooter but I find using my Kestrel Elite is more convenient during the time pressures of a match and although the Applied Ballistics software isn't perfect (the custom curves for bullets aren't always perfect and can't be tweaked, the AB software overestimates the effects of spin drift, aerodynamic jump, and Coriolis) I think having the full capability of the AB software and custom curves is well worth the extra money that you spend. My home ranges are out to 1000 yards and I've found the AB software and custom bullet curves works well enough out to the ranges that I'm shooting without tweeking.

The 5500 is a weather meter with no ballistics software. The 5700 Ballistics has a simplified ballistics software without the full power of the AB engine in the Sportsman and Elite and without the capability to manage multiple gun profiles on your Kestrel. You can keep multiple gun profiles on the Kestrel Link Ballistics phone app however.

If it were me I'd spend the extra money on the Kestrel Elite.