• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Kestrel HUD - they do exist!

jb1000br

Jason@EuroOptic
Commercial Supporter
Minuteman
Dec 23, 2001
On my Belly
Just arrived in the building! KESTREL HUD

1581622519789.png

Wouldn't mind having one, I think it would be a good ELR gadget, even f class, any static set up and shoot situation.

Honestly, I think the Revic scope, with the ballistics and sensors in the scope, provide the best solution for a static set up and shoot situation. Never mind that the cant/inclination and DoF is automatic with the Revic. Just lase a range card and go...

This intrigues me but can someone tell me the reason they got one? Was it just because its a new gadget, for PRS, just to have on the gun, etc? It seems cool but what purposes are people using them for?

I wanted one mostly for training, especially with a newer shooter, and for match use. Having an electronic DOPE chart right in front of me (as opposed to a paper one) has some appeal, as does being able to build a custom stage card without my crap handwriting.

I guess I should have stated I use an EDope card currently. So for my use, I guess I’m trying to weigh the options if it’s worth the buy.

Any review on this yet from you guys?

I played with mine a good bit in my back yard last night using my 5700 and Nitro 1800 LRF. So far, I really like it. Only issue I have had is connecting to the phone app, but I have had similar issues with my Kestrel and LRF, so I can only assume it's something with my phone not wanting to play nicely with others.

I played with mine a good bit in my back yard last night using my 5700 and Nitro 1800 LRF. So far, I really like it. Only issue I have had is connecting to the phone app, but I have had similar issues with my Kestrel and LRF, so I can only assume it's something with my phone not wanting to play nicely with others.

ya my phone does that every time there’s an update ...I just need to stop updating things...

ya my phone does that every time there’s an update ...I just need to stop updating things...

Yeah, I haven't tried doing any of it since my phone got updated to Android 10, so I am sure it's either a bug or some new quirk in the exact chain of events needed to get stuff to connect that I haven't found yet. It's frustrating, but not anything I can blame Kestrel/NK for.

This intrigues me but can someone tell me the reason they got one? Was it just because its a new gadget, for PRS, just to have on the gun, etc? It seems cool but what purposes are people using them for?
I purchased mine for PDog hunting.
I'll have the kestrel in a wind vane mount feeding me live wind calls while determining range with my Bushnell 1800.
At least that is the plan, testing it at the range this weekend.

My phone would not link to the HUD either. I am on IOS 12.1.2

Question: Will the Kestrel 5700 communicate with both this HUD AND a Leica 2800.com (or any of their new .com devices)? Just to be clear, I would want to use all three devices at the same time and curious if it would work.

Question: Will the Kestrel 5700 communicate with both this HUD AND a Leica 2800.com (or any of their new .com devices)? Just to be clear, I would want to use all three devices at the same time and curious if it would work.

As long as the Leica supports talking to a Kestrel, it should. I've already been doing it with my Bushnell Nitro 1800.

Whats the bullet symbol next to the timer? Does it have a microphone to count shots?

Last I heard, the shot counter didn't make it to the production release, but it's planned for a future FW update. I think it's working off an accelerometer, not a mic.

There's 3 different Kestrel HUD models listed, trying to figure out the difference between all of them, is there a comparison sheet somewhere?

There's 3 different Kestrel HUD models listed, trying to figure out the difference between all of them, is there a comparison sheet somewhere?

The only difference is if they come with a remote switch cable, and what kind.

No remote switch.
Remote switch.
Y-cable remote (so you can fire certain weapon-mounted LRFs with the remote).

The only difference is if they come with a remote switch cable, and what kind.

No remote switch.
Remote switch.
Y-cable remote (so you can fire certain weapon-mounted LRFs with the remote).
Thanks Hollywood, for the shooting that I do I don't think I'd need the remote switch, but for competition I can see the advantage.

Thanks Hollywood, for the shooting that I do I don't think I'd need the remote switch, but for competition I can see the advantage.

With the multi-target and DOPE screens, I don't see the remote being much advantage for matches, either. I can see it for certain MIL/LE situations, though.

Reactions: Glassaholic
One thing I found was that if you wanted to say put on 4 different targets at the same screen at the same time that it will show up those and then a list of others. Say 5-10. I dont think you can cut the ones you dont use off.

FYI, the reason I couldn't connect to my HUD or Kestrel with the phone app was because my app was out of date. Update your shit and it should work fine.

I understand the rest are from the kestrel. But you can turn them off in the kestrel and they still show up on the hud. Called kestrel and they said there was nothing to do about it.

If you use the "Clear All Tgts" command at the bottom of the Target Card sub menu to clear out your target card, then only the targets you edit info for after that will appear in the HUD. There will still be a space for all 10 targets but you wont see solutions for targets from your previous stages.

If you use the "Clear All Tgts" command at the bottom of the Target Card sub menu to clear out your target card, then only the targets you edit info for after that will appear in the HUD. There will still be a space for all 10 targets but you wont see solutions for targets from your previous stages.

I only recently discovered there's a LOT more functionality to the target card than I thought, including this. Hitting the center button when looking at the target card will open the menu, for those that didn't know. You can set target distances for each target from one screen, and set different wind directions and directions of fire from there. It's WAY less annoying than doing it all from the main screen, and definitely helps setting up the multi-target display on the HUD.

I was trying to check for updates for the HUD, I followed the instructions. But Kestrel Link app (android) doesn't see the HUD. I've tried with & without the 5700 on & off, paired with HUD & Phone. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

I was trying to check for updates for the HUD, I followed the instructions. But Kestrel Link app (android) doesn't see the HUD. I've tried with & without the 5700 on & off, paired with HUD & Phone. Any idea what I'm doing wrong?

HUD can't be paired to the Kestrel, and make sure you've got GPS on on your phone, and the HUD isn't set to locked on the Bluetooth screen.

Thanks Hollywood, I checked all that & still no luck. Probably just my phone, it's a POS that was picked up last year on a road trip when my other died.
Everything seems to be working well but just wanted to check for updates as mine was an early model from the pre-order group.

Reactions: closeenough
Maelstrom I don't have the remote switch but was thinking it would be nice to have it to just start the timer feature a stage when your hands are filled.
With a one bag stage it's not really a big deal, but with tripod & bags stage when your taking the kitchen sink along it might be nice.

As long as the Leica supports talking to a Kestrel, it should. I've already been doing it with my Bushnell Nitro 1800.

Last I heard, the shot counter didn't make it to the production release, but it's planned for a future FW update. I think it's working off an accelerometer, not a mic.
I doubt the either of the kestrel will support multiple simultaneous BT connections, and pretty sure the leica wont either. I believe those are BT3.0 features.

I doubt the either of the kestrel will support multiple simultaneous BT connections, and pretty sure the leica wont either. I believe those are BT3.0 features.
Maybe I'm misunderstanding you but my 5700 connects simultaneously to my Terrapin and HUD

The 5700 absolutely can connect two two devices at the same time. I've had my HUD and Nitro LRF both connected to my 5700 at the same time, and could laze the target and have the range and dope show up on the single target screen of the HUD.

The 5700 absolutely can connect two two devices at the same time. I've had my HUD and Nitro LRF both connected to my 5700 at the same time, and could laze the target and have the range and dope show up on the single target screen of the HUD.
That's awesome, glad to be wrong on this one.

First I have seen this, it looks interesting

Kestrel Link or Kestrel Ballistics app? Link is for weather, and has no awareness of the HUD, but the ballistics app does (if it is current). Bluetooth is bluetooth - if you can see your Kestrel, it's working, and phone age can't matter. *App* age, however, is critical!

Guys, if it's BTLE (which the 5700 is), it's basically BT 4.0, which handles multiple device connections. Now whether the software was encoded to take advantage of that is another matter entirely...

No, by design. The 5700 has definite separate settings for binding a rangefinder and a HUD - it's designed specifically to do that. Using a 1 mile CONx and HUD here . . .
That's awesome, I wonder if the hud is just snooping on the outbound data to lrf.

Guys, if it's BTLE (which the 5700 is), it's basically BT 4.0, which handles multiple device connections. Now whether the software was encoded to take advantage of that is another matter entirely...
These 5700 elites have been around for a while, didn't think they could have BTLE, that would be great. There is far more capability than currently being demonstrated. If possible Leica will mess it up, haha, their control FW is shit.

Defintely BTLE as of the 5700 . . . my old non BTLE tablet is deaf as a post to it.

As I noted earlier, there are two bind functions intbe 5700 software - one for a LRF and the other for a HUD, so I doubt that anything is eavesdropping . . .

Reactions: Hollywood 6mm